Deep into the jangly college rock archives

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
I saw a lot of early mid nineties highschool graduates over there. Like most old people I've been reminiscing...Help me with more. Videos are hilarious.

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Stupid UMG has embedding disabled on youtube....but here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iunQM3yJgqY

enjoy the hair and paisley.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I've been deep into early Liz Phair lately...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The Three O' Clock - Her Head's Revolving

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Scruffy the Cat - My Baby She's Alright

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I played a cool cover of the Grass Roots "Things I Should Have Said" from a VOXX 1981 comp on the radio today ... good shit ... artist was Eddy Best.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Whew. I think it would be better to find these records and skip the videos.

I been tryin' to find that first dBs record forever. On the other hand, a lot of this stuff is become the new Mitch Millers in our dollarbins.

I dare someone to ride for 10,000 Maniacs.

• There were a couple of faves that I couldn't find on Youtube, EIEIO's 'Andy Warhol's Dead' and the Sidewinders 'We Don't Do That Any More'...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Ha Ha MTV's Basement Tapes

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I dare someone to ride for 10,000 Maniacs.

I'm not afraid to ride for 10,000 Maniacs. I saw them live twice - first in the eighth grade at the Schnitzer in Portland and then I think my junior year in high school at the fairgrounds in Salem. I still listen to their records when I'm in the pansy mood.

Their records are so earnest it's almost embarrassing. I mean a pop song about illiteracy in adults? really? But that earnest pose has completely vanished from the pop landscape, and in its place: irony. I don't think that's a positive cultural development.

These are days.

Clon as hard as you wish.
    JRoot

I remember when In My Tribe was fetching some cash for the 'Peace Train' version because they took it off because Cat Stevens supposedly wanted Salman Rushdie killed.

Earnest.

BTW

Looks like their boy survived:

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    a pop song about illiteracy in adults

too good.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I been tryin' to find that first dBs record forever.

Seems like that SOUND OF MUSIC album on IRS - with the aerial picture of the band rehearsing while the downstairs neighbors try to sleep - is the one I see cheap the most.

On the other hand, a lot of this stuff is become the new Mitch Millers in our dollarbins.

Enigma Records!!! (the label, not the artist)

Can't do a thread on 1980's college-rock without an Enigma reference!

You talk about the "new Mitch Millers in our dollarbins"...I see those Enigma samplers all over the place!

Before - JUST before - Sub Pop became the underground-music label of choice, in the mid-late eighties it looked like Enigma was going to be the company to take college rock to the masses. They even had a (selective) distro deal with Capitol, as I recall. But for whatever reason, they barely survived the early '90s and just missed the grunge explosion by a HAIR.

(10,000 Maniacs') records are so earnest it's almost embarrassing. I mean a pop song about illiteracy in adults? really? But that earnest pose has completely vanished from the pop landscape, and in its place: irony. I don't think that's a positive cultural development.

There was irony back then, too. Thanks to the Replacements, all the bands started doing covers of 1970's AM Gold and TV themes during this same time. Even though tha Maniacs did cover an old Cat Stevens hit (as noted earlier), it didn't seem quite as wacky as Husker Du doing the theme from The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    LOL - the new Mitch Easters of our dollar bins is more like it!

I been seeing this stuff around forever, but I'm a little too young to have ever appreciated the whole genre of REM-inspired bands.

LOL - the new Mitch Easters of our dollar bins is more like it!

I been seeing this stuff around forever, but I'm a little too young to have ever appreciated the whole genre of REM-inspired bands.

People talk about how all the heavy metal acts went "grunge" inside of a year.

But having lived through it, I seem to recall that even within the college rock world, in the late eighties and early nineties, there were a lot of bands imitating R.E.M..

Then when Nirvana came along, that slate was wiped CLEAN.

Even though R.E.M. themselves never went away, the imitators sure did.

In that pre-Cobain period of time, there were R.E.M. knockoffs all over the country.