What todays version of Hall and Oates?

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I vote for Maroon 5, simply because of their sound. I haven't heard all their stuff, but what I have heard is that kinda vaguely soulful pop stuff that's safe enough for Becky's Mom but isn't completely garbage.

I don't want to get into an argument about who's music is better. All I'm saying is to be full H&O status you need to be getting burn on the radio stations that play in dentists' offices. I don't listen to those stations, but I see Maroon 5 being played on them. I don't see M5 ever having the body of work that H&O do, but to me both groups appeal to the same sort of demographic.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Boy Band, Girl Band...

Hasn't that whole trend passed and gone now?

yeah, and its too bad really because it made everything else sound pretty good in comparison....

but really though...

but seriously though....

on the real though...

kanye.....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

And here is a picture with oates standing next to DB COOPER:

Paycheck and I are today's Hall and Oates.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    kanye iis a good call

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

but seriously though....

That's quite seriouz.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Boy Band, Girl Band...

Uh...Jonas Brothers?

I'm not sure you can call it a "trend" when pop music history has had major boy and girl bands in practically every era. That said, it's not as intense now as it was when you had the Spice Girls + N'Sync charting at the same time.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Can someone explain how Kanye West is even mentioned here?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    He's gone from being a relatively unknown (outside of rap circles I mean) producer to somebody who just put out a best selling POP album... His albums consistently sell, and 25 years from now people will laugh at 808s and Heartbreak and ask what we were thinking back in the 00's. autotune, the kanye venetian shade glasses and wacky outfits....

And I say this as somebody who enjoys a lot of kanye's music.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    what's weird is, I bet if you walked up to kanye and said "you are like the hall and oates of the new millenium!" he would take it as a great compliment.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    he would cry and his manager would punch you in the face barely leaving a mark, and you would twitter me and ask me to call the police for you.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Boy Band, Girl Band...

Uh...Jonas Brothers?

Uh...And Who Else?

(And I'm not talking about the solo performers like Hannah Montana, either.)

You know it's a trend when you see about 10-12 acts on the scene PATTERNED AFTER the Jonas Brothers. Maybe there are - I don't listen to Radio Disney - but the memo hasn't gotten to me yet.

I'm not sure you can call it a "trend" when pop music history has had major boy and girl bands in practically every era.

And it's an old argument, I know, but if they're not playing instruments, then they are not a "band." I know "boy group" doesn't have the same ring, but...

I can see the terms "boyband" and "girlband" about to be thrown around recklessly in this thread, so...thought I'd toss that out there!

That said, it's not as intense now as it was when you had the Spice Girls + N'Sync charting at the same time.

THAT is what I'm judging by. When the Jonases have about a thousand imitators, THEN it's a trend.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Boy Band, Girl Band...

Uh...Jonas Brothers?

I'm not sure you can call it a "trend" when pop music history has had major boy and girl bands in practically every era. That said, it's not as intense now as it was when you had the Spice Girls + N'Sync charting at the same time.

My theory is that it passes in waves, regardless of genre or time period.

Vocal groups will be "in" for a while, then people will get tired of them and solo artists taken over for a while.

somebody said that kanye west is the new H&O because:

He's gone from being a relatively unknown (outside of rap circles I mean) producer to somebody who just put out a best selling POP album... His albums consistently sell, and 25 years from now people will laugh at 808s and Heartbreak and ask what we were thinking back in the 00's.

but this could be anybody's story. i dont see why it is unique to Hall & Oates.

He's gone from being a relatively unknown (outside of rap circles I mean) producer to somebody who just put out a best selling POP album... His albums consistently sell, and 25 years from now people will laugh at 808s and Heartbreak and ask what we were thinking back in the 00's. autotune, the kanye venetian shade glasses and wacky outfits....

Kanye has surpassed H&O in terms of popularity.

As popular as H&O were and on the radio all the time, they were FAR from Cultural Icons.
    Dudes were still some old white dudes playin good music. U cant tell me they had kids dressing like them.

Im the resident Kanye hattur, but Drake is a direct offshoot of what Kanye has done.

Were there bands running w/ Hall & Oates musical style after they blew up on the Radio & Video?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Alright smarty-pants then YOU name the new hall and oates!

actually Justin Timberlake was an interesting choice too....

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Don't know why the critique of Hall & Oates dressed and looked is relevant. Basically every 80's band had that femme, flamboyant tight pants/feathered hair look, with maybe the exception of umm Alabama.

Why wouldnt Kanye or any other mainstream artist take a comparison to H&O as a compliment?

As popular as H&O were and on the radio all the time, they were FAR from Cultural Icons.
    Dudes were still some old[/b] white dudes playin good music.

??? Why do y'all keep harping on the fact that they were pushing thirty at the time? Like I said, half of the people selling records then were in their same age range! That was fairly standard back then - it wasn't unusual for acts to have five or six albums before hitting their stride...

Shoot, half the acts selling records NOW are the same age as Daryl & John THEN.

Were there bands running w/ Hall & Oates musical style after they blew up on the Radio & Video?

There were quite a few white soul guys around 1976-80 (Boz Scaggs, etc.), but I wouldn't say that H&O started it. They just happened to be caught up in it.

Alright smarty-pants then YOU name the new hall and oates!

actually Justin Timberlake was an interesting choice too....

I dont think H&O's thang has survived into this era's thang...if you get my drift. That style is 'dead'.

Maroon 5 - Pop- White- Band, and that's the only similarity.

H&O got played at the Local Black Exp Party and not just because it was popular, like Cyndi Lauper.

??? Why do y'all keep harping on the fact that they were pushing thirty at the time? Like I said, half of the people selling records then were in their same age range! That was fairly standard back then - it wasn't unusual for acts to have five or six albums before hitting their stride...

There were quite a few white soul guys around 1976-80 (Boz Scaggs, etc.), but I wouldn't say that H&O started it. They just happened to be caught up in it.

Pickwick, while the rock acts in the mid 80's were all "pushing 30", there were quite a few people listening to acts that were their age like LL Cool J at the time. And were not talkin bubblegum shit.
    The Rock/Pop charts werent the only act in town.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

H&O got played at the Local Black Exp Party and not just because it was popular, like Cyndi Lauper.

This statement is problematic - first, because I think it shortchanges Maroon 5. They're a fairly soulful, "funky" white band, I wouldn't really call them pop at all and might even toss them into R&B if forced. They're not a rock band, certainly. When they were starting out they had R&B management, fwiw.

And if they don't get play at current LBE parties (what does that even mean) I'd say it's more about marketing and segmentation of the music game. What current white artists would get that play?

Pickwick, while the rock acts in the mid 80's were all "pushing 30", there were quite a few people listening to acts that were their age like LL Cool J at the time. And were not talkin bubblegum shit.

Even on the soul side, being in your thirties didn't make you a novelty act. Look at Luther Vandross, Jeffrey Osborne and Lionel Richie...those guys had already been up, down and around the block when they first caught on as solo acts in the '80s.

And with all due respect, your chronology is off.

By the mid-eighties, Hall & Oates' reign was over. LL Cool J and them were coming in just as H&O were going out, so the comparison isn't really correct. They weren't contemporaries of each other.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Let's face there will never be another Hall and Oates.
    They are like the Beatles or Genesis of Rock and Soul!
    Only better because they are a duo and really old.

Not only that, but they will be playing in Wilkes Barre next month.

This is from their web site:

"Daryl Hall and John Oates started working together in the early 1970???s and went on to become the most successful duo in rock history. Meeting in a freight elevator while escaping a riot at the Aldephi Ballroom during the club???s legendary Battle of the Bands, Daryl and John would join forces to become the pioneers of Rock & Soul. With over 60 million albums sold, DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES??? rich repertoire has garnered a total of 8 #1 hit singles along with dozens of hits throughout the 70???s, 80???s, 90???s, including 2002???s ???Do It For Love,???. Other top singles include: ???Rich Girl,??? ???Kiss On My List,??? ???Maneater,??? ???Private Eyes,??? ???I Can???t Go For That (No Can Do), ???Sara Smile,??? ???She???s Gone,??? and ???One On One,???. Their trademark sound of rock ???n??? soul can be heard in the harmonies of today???s young pop stars, in the return to radio of sophisticated R & B, even in the black/white demographics of hip-hop and rap-rock fusion.

In 1997, realizing the direction that the music industry was headed, Daryl and John released Marigold Sky on their own label. Taking a break to work on solo projects, the duo would not record and release new material until 2002???s critically acclaimed Do It for Love. The album???s title song went to number 1 on the Billboard and R&R???s Adult Contemporary charts and remained there for 4 consecutive weeks. Their latest album, Our Kind Of Soul, featured timeless classics as well as new material that borrowed from their Philadelphia roots. The duo are currently recording their first ever Christmas album due in stores Fall 2006.

As quoted by contributing Rolling Stone Editor and host of Bravo???s Musician Series, David Wild when describing VH-1???s Behind The Music: The Daryl Hall & John Oates Collection, ???their story and legacy is less about their ???familiar smashes??? but more about the distinctive, rock and soul these two brought to a new generation of music fans who didn???t know their Four Tops from their The Three Degrees???. From Abandoned Luncheonette to Voices to H2O to their current material, Daryl Hall and John Oates will be remembered for generations to come because of the spontaneity, emotion and human connection that they bring to each and every one of their musical collaborations. "

BTW: The psychedelic folk rock group Country Joe and the Fish were calling their music Rock and Soul back in 1967.

Bonus BTW: Hall & Oates also were in the Temptations.

This statement is problematic - first, because I think it shortchanges Maroon 5. They're a fairly soulful, "funky" white band, I wouldn't really call them pop at all and might even toss them into R&B if forced. They're not a rock band, certainly. When they were starting out they had R&B management, fwiw.

And if they don't get play at current LBE parties (what does that even mean) I'd say it's more about marketing and segmentation of the music game. What current white artists would get that play?

Justin Timberlake & Robin Thicke get more play in the LBE,(and Radio) but their not Rockish.

Maroon 5 doesnt get R&B Radio Play.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I had to learn how to use Photoshop just to do that.

Even on the soul side, being in your thirties didn't make you a novelty act. Look at Luther Vandross, Jeffrey Osborne and Lionel Richie...those guys had already been up, down and around the block when they first caught on as solo acts in the '80s.

And with all due respect, your chronology is off.

By the mid-eighties, Hall & Oates' reign was over. LL Cool J and them were coming in just as H&O were going out, so the comparison isn't really correct. They weren't contemporaries of each other.

U can swap Kurtis Blow w/ LL then. Im just sayn that even if the pop landscape was made up of 30ish dudes, Hip Hop was out there, and we saw H&O as Grown Ass Men unlike the Fearless Four.

Mid-80's???

Released in late 1984, the first single off the LP, Out of Touch, became the group's sixth Number 1 smash hit on December 8, 1984 receiving tremendous airplay. "Method of Modern Love", which debuted on the pop charts while "Out of Touch" was at Number 1, reached Number 5 in February 1985.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Putting to the side all the ???Hey, Remember The 80s?!??? chuckleheadedness that has nothing to do with nothing (???Oh my god, they were so old! And look at that hair! And those clothes! They look so gaaaaaay!???), I don???t know that there is a modern-day equivalent to Hall & Oates, or could be, since a lot of their cultural import was based on a novelty (commercially successful white artists handling their r&b obsession with some grace) that doesn???t really exist anymore (because it???s no longer novel), since their hits were spaced out over a kind of time (and development) that artists are really no longer afforded, and since so much of their sound is based on live two-part male soul vocal harmony, which has become rare as rocking-horse shit.

I mean, a number of acts are superficially similar, but really, I think that lane may have closed now.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    there is nothing wrong with laughing at the 80s.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I had to learn how to use Photoshop just to do that.

BTW

This thread is pretty crazy.

I never in my life thought there would be a thread on the strut comparing H&O, Kanye West, Maroon 5, etc to such depth.

But the pic above made it all worthwhile.

Congrats SoulStrut??

You still got it!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Justin Timberlake & Robin Thicke get more play in the LBE,(and Radio) but their not Rockish.

Maroon 5 doesnt get R&B Radio Play.

Right - but Timberlake and Thicke are completely traditional R&B acts, with traditional R&B production. There's no crossover there. What is a white crossover act that would get play?

Hall & Oates were "blue eyed soul", but I don't think you could call them "contemporary R&B" for their era. Not comparable to the black artists getting play on the R&B charts, and I think "crossover" is a decent term to describe the phenomenon.

Things are a lot more segmented now, in terms of sound and marketing.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I think this has been duly noted in the past, but damn that DB Cooper guy has some really pretty hair.