What todays version of Hall and Oates?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I watched that keyboard cat video with the hall and oates and I couldn't help but wonder who the target audience of that kind of music was supposed to be.And then that made me wonder what the "now" equivelent of Hall and Oates is. Is there one? Did the genre of "older guys doing lite pop" sort of die out? or is that just the Black eyed Peas?

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    What is the MANEATER of 2009?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Did the genre of "older guys doing lite pop" sort of die out?

Modern Lite Rock/Pop?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    PHUNK SHUI

check out this neat hall and oates costume!

What is the MANEATER of 2009?

Over 30 Caucasoid Musicians that get Radio Play, Internet Love,Video Love and Club Love??????

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    "Daryl Hall is featured on the song "Ghetto Smile" by rapper B Legit. B Legit attented one of Daryl Hall's concerts and asked him personally to appear on the song. The song appears on the Dangerous Ground - Movie Soundtrack."

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Peep Daniel Merriweather.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    see... the thing with hall and oates is that they were old right? or did they just look old to me?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I wouldn't call Hall & Oates lite pop.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    "Daryl Hall is featured on the song "Ghetto Smile" by rapper B Legit. B Legit attented one of Daryl Hall's concerts and asked him personally to appear on the song. The song appears on the Dangerous Ground - Movie Soundtrack."

I remember that song, not bad, had a video.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    they called their sound "rock 'n' soul".

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    maybe kanye west is the new hall 'n' oates.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Get familiar

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I wouldn't call Hall & Oates lite pop.

Right - those hits were popular w/the young folks at the time, but then they kept listening to the stuff when they were older so that's who you're associating it with.

I have a hip cabbie who dropped a mix one time w/what sounded like a modern blue-eyed soul/pop/rock set, I know Maroon 5 was in there. I was actually wondering what a lot of the stuff was, it souded like he had the one dope cut from all of these pop records of the previous 5 years or something.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    its weird to me that kids would be into old white guys, but then again i remember liking private eyes a lot when I was a wee lad.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    they weren't that old back then.

I think Maroon 5 is an adequate comparison. I'd call them blue eyed soul for the 00s.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Maroon 5

Modern Blue Eyed Soul / Rock BAND.
    Like it or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCNmUdN9dLE&feature=fvw

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    David Bowie was still the shit in the early 80s and he'd been in the biz longer than Hall or Oates at that point.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Modern blue-eyed soul/pop/rock set = Maroon 5

Like it or not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCNmUdN9dLE&feature=fvw

its weird to me that kids would be into old white guys, but then again i remember liking private eyes a lot when I was a wee lad.

David Bowie was doin alright back then.

The industry supported over 30 artists.

i'd like to know who was behind the campaign to get Tony Bennett to the kids in the 90's.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    maroon 5 is a pretty good comparison I suppose.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Damn, man - Daryl and John were only in their mid-twenties to mid-thirties when they had their golden decade. ALL the big rock stars were about that age.

i'd like to know who was behind the campaign to get Tony Bennett to the kids in the 90's.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

yeah, it seems like back then they did, but not so much now? well, Dr. Dre is pretty old I guess.

And I was always under the assumption that is was De la soul who made H&O hip with the kids again in the 90's.

Where is Aser in this. He should have his say!!!

I watched that keyboard cat video with the hall and oates and I couldn't help but wonder who the target audience of that kind of music was supposed to be.

People buying records, that's who. As radio-friendly as they were, no offense but that's a weird thing to be wondering about.

And then that made me wonder what the "now" equivelent of Hall and Oates is. Is there one? Did the genre of "older guys doing lite pop" sort of die out? or is that just the Black eyed Peas?

H&O were as mainstream as it got during 1976-86. I'm not a Hall & Oates fan by any means, but you act like they were some weird niche duo that slipped on a banana peel and became popular by accident. This wasn't Roger Whittaker, man, my God...

Who were H&O's target audience? That's like asking who was Bryan Adams' target audience, or who was buying the Mamas and the Papas. That was the going sound, so Mainstream America bought their records.

I don't think the "kids" were buying Tony Bennett so much as it was people in their thirties who still bought records and went to concerts but wanted to try something different from rock &/or soul.

yeah, it seems like back then they did, but not so much now? well, Dr. Dre is pretty old I guess.

If you have a good track record youll stay around.

Robin Thicke has been around for while. Not super-long but has some years on him.
    He's over age 30, I think. He swings more towards Soul/R&B than Rock.
    Teenagers know him and mamas do to.

Sheryl Crow and Wilco aren't exactly newborns and they make the Top 20 (if not the Top 10).

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I watched that keyboard cat video with the hall and oates and I couldn't help but wonder who the target audience of that kind of music was supposed to be.

People buying records, that's who. As radio-friendly as they were, no offense but that's a weird thing to be wondering about.

And then that made me wonder what the "now" equivelent of Hall and Oates is. Is there one? Did the genre of "older guys doing lite pop" sort of die out? or is that just the Black eyed Peas?

H&O were as mainstream as it got during 1976-86. I'm not a Hall & Oates fan by any means, but you act like they were some weird niche duo that slipped on a banana peel and became popular by accident. This wasn't Roger Whittaker, man, my God...

Who were H&O's target audience? That's like asking who was Bryan Adams' target audience, or who was buying the Mamas and the Papas. That was the going sound, so Mainstream America bought their records.

Alright calm down. mamas and papas were "the kids" though when they were popular. In 1982 hall and oates were old right? and then... its like, when i think about the 80s, and music like hall and oates and WHAM and stuff.... and like Huey Lewis!!! is there a modern version of Huey Lewis out there??

in 1982 kenny rogers had hits, but kenny rogers is still the kenny rogers of today.

EDIT: The Eddie Rabbit of today is: