Amoeba flooding the mkt.

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Amoeba closing in 6 to 8 months? Is that the word? Saturating cyberspace with online auction sales. Is it true?

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Amoeba closing in 6 to 8 months? Is that the word? Saturating cyberspace with online auction sales. Is it true?

I've heard SF and Berkely were slow, but LA was killing.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    No way LA is closing. Berkeley I can imagine closing though, Telegraph has been dying yet again for the last few years and Codys closing across the street sure didn't help. I mean I really haven't needed the Berkeley store in awhile...you can't listen to anything, most of the employees are jerks, and if I'm buying anything new, I'll go to the Groove Merchant / Mod Lang first and then maybe stop by the SF Amoeba if I really can't find it.

Is SF really that slow? I only ever go on weekends so my perspective is skewed...

If they're closing it's really such a huge sign that CDs are near-death outside of music fanatics and collectors...selling CDs to "normal" people was their bread and butter, especially around holiday season.

I can't imagine what would replace them in Berkeley in that space...I can only hope that someone does something cool and opens a club/music venue, which the city desperately needs but the city council will probably block from happening.

No matter what I have no clue why Amoeba would really need to bother that much with online auction sales for the cheaper stuff...they would be FLOODED with customers if they announced a closing sale.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Yeah, Spelunk has it right.

I would add that I have heard rumors that they've invested millions in some sort of online download site that has as of yet not materialized.

The Berkeley store is as good as dead to me, but I'll occasionally cop the odd Daptone or Numero release from them. The crux is that for a store that is of that size and prominence they should be putting out huge collections of stuff regularly.

In a sick and twisted way I'm hoping they will close so everything that the shiesty employees skim off the top ends up at Rasputin so I can switch the tags on it. Yeah, that just happened.

The funny thing is: on the way out of the SF store there's a big banner saying that they've "saved" over x00,000 acres of rainforest in South America by using proceeds from each CD sale. LOL at that BS.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Switching tags at Rasputins? Really?

I wonder if the SF location closes. That would be pretty amazing that Groove Merchant lasted through, considering how many other small shops Amoeba put out of business.

I remember when there was talk of them opening a NYC shop.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Yeah, my dude in the bay area said it was going to be the SF and Berkley stores, not the LA store. I thought the SF had a shitty selection, I ended up buying Barreto's "ACID" on CD though, which made them happy.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Yeah dude - that's not something to brag about, that's something to nervously keep to yourself as the guilt devours you.

• channonchannon 65 Posts
    I thought the SF had a shitty selection.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Yeah dude - that's not something to brag about, that's something to nervously keep to yourself as the guilt devours you.

Especially since now people know what you look like from the 'post your mug' thread.

Telling people you steal is kinda like asking them to judge you. I get why people would steal (who doesn't enjoy getting stuff at a discount?), I don't get why people would share that tidbit like sharing their favorite color. Weird.

Especially since now people know what you look like from the 'post your mug' thread.

Telling people you steal is kinda like asking them to judge you. I get why people would steal (who doesn't enjoy getting stuff at a discount?), I don't get why people would share that tidbit like sharing their favorite color. Weird.

Jesus, people. This is in response to a thread a while back. I haven't switched tags since I was a broke muthafuska a couple years back during my UC Berkeley / Rice and Tofu dayz.

Now that I'm making green like yellow and bleu, I only shop at the Groove Merchant.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Jesus, people. This is in response to a thread a while back. I haven't switched tags since I was a broke muthafuska a couple years back during my UC Berkeley / Rice and Tofu dayz.

Now that I'm making green like yellow and bleu, I only shop at the Groove Merchant.

Note to groove Merchant; staple tags to covers.

Isn't Berkeley the original flag ship store?

What if they cleaned it up, trained their employees, and improved buying?
    In theory, Berkeley is a hip place with lots of music lovers and they are the most famous store.

I guess the decision has been made. Just sayin'.

Is this good news for Rasputin's?

Note to groove Merchant; staple tags to covers.

Don't even utter such nonsense. Me and Chris are fam.

• Now where am I gonna sell my schwag LP's and CD's for trade? ....

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

This idea has actually been bothering me for a while. In Wax Po a few issues back there was some dude doing the "best of top 10 list" bragging about going on a "college Radio jacking spree" and copping a Jack Bruce lp. And that really bothered me. Ive been volunteering at a PublicRadio station for a few years now and there is nothing more depressing than going to find an album that is supposed to be in the library only to have it MIA. Honestly, ive watched over the years as, conservatively, 100 cds have disappeared and never returned. People who steal records/cds from college or public radio stations (or anywhere) =

This idea has actually been bothering me for a while. In Wax Po a few issues back there was some dude doing the "best of top 10 list" bragging about going on a "college Radio jacking spree" and copping a Jack Bruce lp. And that really bothered me. Ive been volunteering at a PublicRadio station for a few years now and there is nothing more depressing than going to find an album that is supposed to be in the library only to have it MIA. Honestly, ive watched over the years as, conservatively, 100 cds have disappeared and never returned. People who steal records/cds from college or public radio stations (or anywhere) =

I was giving someone a hard time about doing this.
    He said "No one else is going to play it."
    Me, "Not now anyway".

It was a Sun Ra Record.

Isn't Berkeley the original flag ship store?

What if they cleaned it up, trained their employees, and improved buying?
    In theory, Berkeley is a hip place with lots of music lovers and they are the most famous store.

I guess the decision has been made. Just sayin'.

Is this good news for Rasputin's?

I don't think Rasputin's is any better off, having closed stores recently too.

While the Berkeley location is the original, I don't even think it's the most famous at this point. People have been talking up the SF store since it opened and the LA store is a WAY bigger deal than either Berkeley or SF combined...Berkeley is small fish and high rent.

Used CDs have just gotten SO cheap on the internet that wading through Amoebas crowded asiles and sections just doesn't have much appeal to people anymore I think. Personally I think they should take out some of the racks and add some listening stations, make the store more welcoming and personal, but they are SO paranoid about shoplifting and homeless people that I can't imagine that ever happening.

And I mean if they had halfway competent record buyers over the past decade, I hardly think we'd be talking about them closing. I hate it when record stores close, but this is really a symptom of them refusing to change with the times.

• Before you all get too carried away remember these are just random rumours. I'm in the Berkeley store all the time and if they are planning to close there's no buzz on the floor about it at all.

• I'd be sad if the Amoebas in SF and Berkeley close. Mostly for the records. But, I'd also hate to see those places sit empty. I doubt anything would move into either of those places for a long time and I could see them turn into nasty graffiti junky spots. Or we could get lucky and American Apparel moves in. Joy.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'd be sad if the Amoebas in SF and Berkeley close. Mostly for the records. But, I'd also hate to see those places sit empty. I doubt anything would move into either of those places for a long time and I could see them turn into nasty graffiti junky spots. Or we could get lucky and American Apparel moves in. Joy.

That would totally ruin the bastion of authenticity that is the Haight.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I'd be sad if the Amoebas in SF and Berkeley close. Mostly for the records. But, I'd also hate to see those places sit empty. I doubt anything would move into either of those places for a long time and I could see them turn into nasty graffiti junky spots. Or we could get lucky and American Apparel moves in. Joy.

I know the Haight st. store is not big enough, but it would make a cool indoor go-cart track if it was, or micropub with pinball arcade.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    when i visited cali last year i loved the l.a. store but was a bit disappointed of the sf store...my shipping costs were high enough though

• I'd be sad if the Amoebas in SF and Berkeley close. Mostly for the records. But, I'd also hate to see those places sit empty. I doubt anything would move into either of those places for a long time and I could see them turn into nasty graffiti junky spots. Or we could get lucky and American Apparel moves in. Joy.

Not really. It'd mean a record store is replaced by something that I wouldn't care for.

Just turn it back into a bowling alley and come full circle.