Summer Jam 2009?

emyndemynd 830 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
There a thread for this yet? I can always trust Soulstrut to have a pretty engaging conversation regarding Summer Jams. Searched and couldnt find a thread.My picks:1. BEP "Boom Boom Pow" - Theoretically, I hate the BEPs, but this song is too great to front on. It's a combination of Bmore (kicks), House (shameless Laidback Luke "Be" jack), and Hip-Hop (i guess theyre rapping, right?) in a really pop way that's got high production value and f*cking bangs in the club. I don't know if it's going to be really hitting in the "skreets" (actually, I'm sure it's not), but this shit is going to be holding down top 40 and Becky clubs worldwide. It's huge in Europe as well.2. DJ Class "I'm the Shit" (and it's various remixes) - I'm hoping this song gets even bigger than it already is this summer. I'm biased though. "Dance Like a Freak" is dope, too, but it seems a bit more disposable than this.3. Gucci Mane and Plies "Wasted" - I know Gucci Mane is already killing the mixtape game and is probably the hottest rapper out right now, but he still doesn't really have a national hit. This might be THAT HIT that gets Gucci to the next level of Becky money. Whatever the case, the song is f*cking awesome.Now you!-e

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

1. BEP "Boom Boom Pow" - Theoretically, I hate the BEPs, but this song is too great to front on. It's a combination of Bmore (kicks), House (shameless Laidback Luke "Be" jack), and Hip-Hop (i guess theyre rapping, right?) in a really pop way that's got high production value and f*cking bangs in the club. I don't know if it's going to be really hitting in the "skreets" (actually, I'm sure it's not), but this shit is going to be holding down top 40 and Becky clubs worldwide. It's huge in Europe as well.

I agree. Even though this isn't really MY thing, the crowd loves it every time.

Though I think their blatant attempt to appeal to different crowds was unnecessary and too obvious (The 50 Cent street remix! The Kid Cudi hipster remix! What, no Jonas Brothers or *insert big country star here* remix??). I mean, the original's the only version people react to anyways.

Sidenote: That little techno-ey part where Will.I.Am's voice gets all stuttery and what's-her-name sings over is niiiiice.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    As much as it pains me to admit this, I think we may have officially moved beyond the summer jam era.

I mean, it's already mid-June and no definitive contenders have emerged yet. I don't recall there being a definitive summer jam last year, either.

I don't recall there being a definitive summer jam last year, either.

Maybe it was "Lollipop," now that I think about it.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Faux_Rillz just doesn't want to acknowledge that rappers he doesn't like will most likely retain "summer jam" status this year.

Speaking of which, I have a feeling that Drake may somehow be involved. Jamie Foxx already replaced Kanye and The Dream with dude for "Digital Girl."

Faux_Rillz just doesn't want to acknowledge that rappers he doesn't like will most likely retain "summer jam" status this year.

I like Gucci Mane and Plies.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Birthday Sex (both slow and fast versions)

Walking on the Moon by the Dream featuring Kanye.

Yes, it's been kind of slim pickings as far as summer jams. But still quite early in the season.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

3. Gucci Mane and Plies "Wasted" - I know Gucci Mane is already killing the mixtape game and is probably the hottest rapper out right now, but he still doesn't really have a national hit. This might be THAT HIT that gets Gucci to the next level of Becky money. Whatever the case, the song is f*cking awesome.

If it featured a becky pop female singer this song would be way more major.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    The first 2 songs got to many miles on em to be considered summer jam status. Wasted is a contender. I'm disconnected when it comes to current club bangers and such but Gucci def has shit on lock, dude's def got next down here in Florida.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Around here "Dancin' On Me", "We Like Her" and "Who's Real" seem to be getting the most summer burn.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    The Summer Jam is so last century.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    delete

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I already done told y'all, it's Chalie Boy's I Look Good...

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    meh. sounds like nelly (not a good thing for me), but not even really as good.

LOVE 'we like her too'. that shit is the shit.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Plies.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Glad to see things around here never change! Harvey still swears his local rap experience is on the verge of becoming the global rap experience (or, is at least at all times BETTER THAN ANY OTHER LOCAL RAP EXPERIENCE)!

But, yeah, THE SUMMER JAM[/b] may have gone the way of the do-do, but it's still fun to talk about big summer joints right?

-e

Glad to see things around here never change! Harvey still swears his local rap experience is on the verge of becoming the global rap experience (or, is at least at all times BETTER THAN ANY OTHER LOCAL RAP EXPERIENCE)!

I rep what I know and can trust.

Chalie Boy is too good to still be local. He's had the majors after him, but his dealings with his crew (Dirty 3rd) apparently always seem to get in the way.

The song is all over the radio here, and last week there was a video shoot out at Givens Park and the whole city came through.

I'll admits it's kinda lame where you want to celebrate some folks merely getting together on a summer day, popping trunks and such, and thankfully there's no shootings or police shennanigans...but that's where we're at right now, where that is indeed something to celebrate.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Chalie Boy is too good to still be local. He's had the majors after him, but his dealings with his crew (Dirty 3rd) apparently always seem to get in the way.

The song is all over the radio here, and last week there was a video shoot out at Givens Park and the whole city came through.

I'll admits it's kinda lame where you want to celebrate some folks merely getting together on a summer day, popping trunks and such, and thankfully there's no shootings or police shennanigans...but that's where we're at right now, where that is indeed something to celebrate.

Just so we're clear, when I asked "What's this year's most popular song of the summer going to be?" you interpreted that as me ACTUALLY asking "What's this year's best song where people made a nice video for without any shootings or police shenanigans"? I'm with that.

Anybody know any other good songs where people made a summery video without any cops or shootings? I can't think of any off hand but I'd like to hear your suggestions!

-e

• ROD1ROD1 26 Posts
    honestly there hasnt been a solid summer jam in quite some time, this stuff isnt music anymore, its just snap crap...blah the masses are full of idiots either way.

Just so we're clear, when I asked "What's this year's most popular song of the summer going to be?" you interpreted that as me ACTUALLY asking "What's this year's best song where people made a nice video for without any shootings or police shenanigans"? I'm with that.

Anybody know any other good songs where people made a summery video without any cops or shootings? I can't think of any off hand but I'd like to hear your suggestions!

-e

Whatever, dude, I Look Good is clearly the Summer Jam here in this city.

You want me to just parrot the most popular crap across the country, then you shoulda just fed me a cracker instead of asking an open-ended question.

And while we're splitting hairs, So Icy was a national hit.

• MikeBossyMikeBossy 41 Posts

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    not in texas.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

DELETE

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    DJ Class "I'm the Shit" (and it's various remixes) - I'm hoping this song gets even bigger than it already is this summer. I'm biased though. "Dance Like a Freak" is dope, too, but it seems a bit more disposable than this.

I've actually been hearing this at the club down here, which is a good sign - but if it ever makes it to radio it will definitely be after the summer's gone.

Gucci Mane and Plies "Wasted"

I think this sounds like a lot of recent (good) underground rap, which means it probably won't do anything nationally. His previous hits have had much more obvious/catchy hooks.

• Ace Hood is getting a lot of play in South Florida (the fact that Khaled is putting out his record is definitely part of the reason), and so is the newish Wayne joint "Always Strapped". The remix is dope.

That Wale joint with Lady Gaga is getting a lot of talk too.

But, none of these really seem to have the invisible magic that makes a Summer Jam. They're too serious, not fun enough.

That Wale joint with Lady Gaga is getting a lot of talk too.

So wack

I call upon the one Noz to defend this record

I think he dissed it a while back?

wait... found it.

I hate to admit it but watching Wale???s ???Chillin?????? fail has been a particularly rewarding experience. You know, the supposed to be the ambassador for my city coming to the table with some lifeless faux hipster Lady Gaga shit that has nothing to do with his home. If Interscope was wise enough to admit that unapologetically regional music still matters, they might want to buy out ???W On The Fitted??? and make it his street single. (Come on now, my man is just not radio hit material, not in 2009.) The track could use a less awkward chorus, but it is a very DC record with just enough in the pocket go-go signifiers to keep the locals happy but not actually alienate anyone else.

unfortunately it appears that this was spaken too soon...

We're just going to ignore that.

I want to bait the boy to such a degree that he feels compelled to defend Wale's entire ouvre, including this record.

I want to bait the boy

delicious!

But you're making it hard on yourself - all you have to do is spit that rap metal talk.