Iranian Elections

Comments

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Hitchens, who is at his best in these international stories, weighs in today:

Don't Call What Happened in Iran an Election

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    2) they can often be shut down by the government, and probably worse, be tracked to the source who can be punished.

Proxy servers to the rescue!!!

I know citizenlab which runs out of the University of Toronto's Munk Centre for International Studies is helping with software like PsiPhon to help with just these probs.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Hitchens, who is at his best in these international stories, weighs in today:

Don't Call What Happened in Iran an Election

This line is funny and serious at the same time.

"I went to the last major Ahmadinejad rally and got the whiff of what I imagine fascism to have been all about. Lots of splotchy boys who can't get a date are given guns and told they're special."

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I'm finally coming around to twitter and seeing its power, still can skip 99% of it though.

Twitter to delay maintenance work. Here's the full statement:[/b]

A critical network upgrade must be performed to ensure continued operation of Twitter. In coordination with Twitter, our network host had planned this upgrade for tonight. However, our network partners at NTT America recognize the role Twitter is currently playing as an important communication tool in Iran. Tonight's planned maintenance has been rescheduled to tomorrow between 2-3p PST (1:30a in Iran).

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    yooooo! what's good my fellow struticians?!

been a while since i've been back on the board, but had to check in with you all fine people right quick. i knew there would be some water hole speak about all this going on in Iran, so i thought i would chime in...

from being out there just recently and speaking to a lot of different types of people in and out of Tehran, it's really hard to distinguish who is more beneficial for the country currently. between Mousavi's claim as being the 'reformist' candidate, who has been also called a complete fake in the same sentence. moreover, it's believed that if he ever did become pres. he would he just clash with the Rahbar (being the true power in the country) and never get anything done. verses Ahmadi's side where under pressure from his people, he has shown to be effective in swaying the true power in Iran which is Khamenei to be more lenient towards the peoples rights, etc..

sure, it's a slow uphill battle for true reform, but this is a good step, nevertheless, to show the people over the world that Iranians DO have a voice, in spite of the iron mullah filter that's in place.

anyway,that's all for now kids.

as always, keep 'em coming.

peace in mid-city, and the middle east.

holler,

kid-g.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Incredible photos http://bit.ly/xwcZY (via Delay)

Yeah, I was just looking at those right this second. WOW

Number 17 and 18 blew my face off.

#s 40 & 41 knocked me over. f*cking horrible.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    This is a blog I help write for that has been keeping up a steady flow of reports about Iran.

http://americanfootprints.com/drupal/blog

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    "Iranian Elections" could be a great title for the next Guns'N Roses album.

• You dudes are seriously children. This is a power struggle between opposing factions within a totalitarian regime, not a struggle against a totalitarian regime. Don't let some startling imagery and breathless twitter feeds convince you otherwise.

Mousavi ranks as one of the world's worst living war criminals and he is being touted as a mandela figure simply because there are a bunch of people who care more about theatrics than truth.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Mousavi ranks as one of the world's worst living war criminals

Post a link or stfu. Actually, just stfu.

• Mousavi ranks as one of the world's worst living war criminals

Post a link or stfu. Actually, just stfu.

"Mir-Hossein Mousavi, a cousin of Khamenei has worked in the Expediency Council for last twenty years or so. Mousavi was also responsible for closing the universities immediately after the hijacking of the revolution of 78, to conduct cultural re-education. During the Iran-Iraq war he served as the Islamic Republic???s prime minister, helping extend the war for 5 long years even though at a point Iran had taken back all its cities from Iraq and the Arabs were willing to end the war and make huge financial compensations. Mr. Mousavi presided over mass executions of 80-81 and the dark summer of 1988 where over thirty thousand political prisoners were executed and buried and mass graves. Given the amount of blood on his hands it???s difficult to not to laugh when Mousavi speaks of creating a human rights council if [s]elected. As far as his anti-West views go, he stated in 1981 in the magazine Payameh Enghelab that ???We are ready to participate within an armed force to fight Israel??? We have repeatedly announced that we are ready to have an actual, real and military presence in Southern Lebanon and on the borders of the occupied Palestinian lands???we believe that with the support of the popular forces in Lebanon we shall be able to gradually find effective and powerful bases in the area for fighting Israel ???we believe if the flow of oil in Muslim Lands is in the hands of Muslims and if the ideology of Islam controls the opening or closing of the oil valves we shall be able to bring the World Arrogance to its knees, to strike Israel and to destroy it.???"

here

another

iranian students question mousavi for his role in 88 executions

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Dolo......while you are correct about Mousavi and the fact that he is truly the "lesser of two evils" many Iranians see him as a stepping stone away from a cleric ruled government and a step closer to Democracy.

To expect a 180 degree change in one fell swoop is not realistic.

Baby steps.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Exactly.

Dolo, like many Neocons, hopes Ahmadinejad wins so that we can continue to rely on the "hard power" that has worked so well for them over the past decade and gain position against a weakened regime.

I don't think anyone's under illusions that Mousavi is a good guy. I think people are concerned by the regime's brazen coup and inspired by Iranians' refusal to accept vote tampering and fraud, something that us Americans couldn't be bothered with back when his man George W. Bush was doing it.

Again, he is irrelevant. DFTT

"If anyone had said, even a few days ago, that Mousavi would lead a nation-wide insurrection, he???d have been laughed out of the room. Very few foresaw anything like the current situation..."

"He is not a revolutionary leader, he is a leader who has been made into a revolutionary by a movement that grew up around him. The real revolutionary is his wife, Zahra Rahnavard. And the real question, the key question in all of this, is: why did Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei permit her to become such a charismatic figure? How could he have made such a colossal blunder? It should have been obvious that the very existence of such a woman threatened the dark heart of the Islamic Republic".

http://pajamasmedia.com/michaelledeen/2009/06/15/so-hows-it-going-in-iran/

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    I'm finally coming around to twitter and seeing its power, still can skip 99% of it though.

i'm not on it, i openly mock it, but two months ago found the value in it in live baseball scores and commentary in-game when i'm out of the house via twitter search.

but am i

i'm reading #iranelection and it seems like a bunch of san fran dot com dudes retweeting rumor and speculation. beyond the people on the ground mentioned above, how can i follow live with a minimum of spam and BS?

i'm reading #iranelection and it seems like a bunch of san fran dot com dudes retweeting rumor and speculation. beyond the people on the ground mentioned above, how can i follow live with a minimum of spam and BS?

this made me chuckle:

The funny thing is, having read all the crazed twitters today, I actually have less of an idea of what???s going on in Iran. It???s almost like you need people whose job it is to take conflicting data in a dangerous part of the world and make sense of it. We could call them reporters???

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i feel like grandpa trying to figure out how parse searches.

what made me laugh was one spammer posting on iran and how sad it was that the queen of england had died inside one tweet and this bored fuckhead: http://twitter.com/ahmadinejad

Exactly.

Dolo, like many Neocons, hopes Ahmadinejad wins so that we can continue to rely on the "hard power" that has worked so well for them over the past decade and gain position against a weakened regime.

Plus, I think it worries people like Dolo when countries like Iran show Americans up on how to protest when elections feel tampered with.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Exactly.

Plus, I think it worries people like Dolo when countries like Iran show Americans up on how to protest when elections feel tampered with.

You say there's no gays in Iran, but you in New York now, baby!

Claiming our election process is in any way similar to what's going on in Iran is as silly as Dolo saying there is no difference between Mousavi & Ahmadinejad.

Claiming our election process is in any way similar to what's going on in Iran is as silly as Dolo saying there is no difference between Mousavi & Ahmadinejad.

Stupid in - Stupid out...

In other thoughts.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/06/16/iran/

I'm sure many still wanna bomb the hell out of them.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    good guys bad guys whatever, alls my dumb ass knows about Iranians is what I learned from my Persian friend long ago: "politics is the main pasttime."

it's the national sport over there. Forever. politics. thousands and thousands of years of it.

I don't even remember why I'm supposed to call her "Persian," but I remember that I am...it's all 2 deep for me.

I don't even remember why I'm supposed to call her "Persian," but I remember that I am...it's all 2 deep for me.

that's hella ignorant

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    what are some legit twitter feeds I can follow to keep up with this?
    post some @'s

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what does RT mean on Twitter?

YouTube is beginning to take down footage....why?
    WTF does it have to do with them?

RT = "retweet" I think.

I have no idea why youtube would be removing footage other than perhaps Iran is removing it from the user end.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    RT is retweet, or repost the message

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    It's really all about the IRLT.

I have no idea why youtube would be removing footage other than perhaps Iran is removing it from the user end.

It might be those words that no business likes to hear....

"I sue you my friend"

• Exactly.

Translation: I cant dispute a single thing you've said so i'll just ascribe it to sinister motives.