Holocaust Museum Shooting

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
2nd right wing fuckbrain in a week. Security handled it well. Mr. Johns is a hero. R.I.P.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    sad in the truest sense, who else but some dipshit remorseless anti-semitic fuckhead would do this.

breaks my heart

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    stephen t. johns rest in peace, stein.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    When stuff like this turns up it always makes me wonder. I mean, you know there are crazy nuts out there that think crazy shit - ok, fine. But to have someone go in and shot up a holocaust museum? WTF? Seriously, in this day and age?

You would think that at an absolute freaking minimum the crazies could move on and find something more contemporary to vehemently hate.

---

Can we put religious, racial, and sexual discrimination to bed? Let's just put those down. They've been done. It's played out now. Move on to something else to hate, like the size of people's feet or those who enjoy the music of John Tesh.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Right wing talk radio is working these assholes up. Expect more of this kind of shit.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Cosign graf, I wish I thought it was even remotely possible in this day and age. Maybe our lifetimes. Maybe.

This was incredibly sad and there was some sobering real talk from Sheppard Smith on Fox News this afternoon about Obama hate mail he receives at Fox.

Got me thinking, what's scary is that beyond normal Republicans, there's a truly hateful segment of this country that see's a Democratic President as a good excuse to really let their righteous rage loose. I'm truly scared this will continue to escalate to Ok City levels.

RIP, Stephen Tyrone Johns.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Right wing talk radio is working these assholes up. Expect more of this kind of shit.

Mclluhan wrote about what a hot medium radio was. Rwanda's genocide and the uprising that lead to the Tiananmen Square massacre are both prime examples.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    and coming up soon will be the obligatory "the only way to protect ourselves from the loons with guns is to allow more access to guns".

more of this crap to follow i suppose....lots of people buying guns these days.

2 articles this week:

http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13788623

http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13788631

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    When stuff like this turns up it always makes me wonder. I mean, you know there are crazy nuts out there that think crazy shit - ok, fine. But to have someone go in and shot up a holocaust museum? WTF? Seriously, in this day and age?

Dude was 88 years old, which puts a bizarre twist on the whole thing. That's pretty damn old. If that piece of shit lives, I hope his last days are spent in total fear.

• I was pleased to at least see this.

• Right wing talk radio is working these assholes up. Expect more of this kind of shit.

Geez, the last thing we need is to be a divided nation. That would really send the shit at the fan at warp speed.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I was pleased to at least see this.

That was interesting, and encouraging. But it also seems kind of odd - didn't Fox News play off of these types of misunderstandings during the elections (re: Obama misconceptions).

A good point is that he thinks that fruitcakes are building up their anger off of each other on the Internet. I hadn't thought about it that way, but fruitcakes do have a much easier medium for communicating with similar like-minded nutjobs and encouraging each other unlike in prior times. Think about if the Internet was available to nutjobs during the Civil Rights Movement or during the Naming-Names-Anti-Communist Era. That would be some scary shit.

• Right wing talk radio is working these assholes up. Expect more of this kind of shit.

Son, dude was a 9/11 truther and hated 'neo-conservatives'. I doubt he was an avid rush limbaugh fan.

• btw, a note of caution to keep in mind as you craft your response, I listen to right wing radio constantly.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    How many guns do you own?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    This dude was a ticking time bomb. He spent 4 years in prison for storming the treasury building with a gun in the 80's. I think talk radio or not this dude was bound to do some shit like this. I just want to know how he got a gun.

• How many guns do you own?

If there's any justice in this world the one Dolo will put one in his mouth...

...and of course, pull the trigger...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    This dude was a ticking time bomb. He spent 4 years in prison for storming the treasury building with a gun in the 80's. I think talk radio or not this dude was bound to do some shit like this. I just want to know how he got a gun.

I heard it was almost 8 years, and yes, dude was crazy. Thank God my wife, who works nearby and usually walks around there at lunchtime, was on her way to meet me for an appointment. We didn't even hear about it til later in the afternoon.

In this case, the security was good and they stopped the guy essentially at the door. The officer who was killed did what he was duty-bound to do and saved lives, a real hero, as are the ones who shot the assailant. Hopefully all Fed operations will learn from this and get the security even more efficient for the next nutbar.

I was commenting to my wife that it must be crazy hard to live in the world hating and not being able to accept that entire races of people exist, let alone that they live next to you, ride the subway with you, are in your view every day. Some of these fuckers' heads must be pretty near to exploding if this is all they think about all day. Is accepting reality that hard?

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts

As one wag said, "It's easier to get a gun than a waffle in this country."

The .22 Winchester rife he used to kill the guard is as old as the shooter and reports are saying impossible to trace.

The .22 Winchester rife he used to kill the guard is as old as the shooter and reports are saying impossible to trace.

Threatening to take the guns away just plays into the hands of the crazies, and gets them even more wound up ready to do damage. Of this I am convinced.

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Threatening to take the guns away just plays into the hands of the crazies, and gets them even more wound up ready to do damage. Of this I am convinced.

No one was threatening to take guns away. Someone asked where a convicted felon (this clown spent time in jail for attempting a citizen's arrest of The Fed while armed with a knife, revolver, and shotgun years ago) got a gun? Getting a gun is easy was the point. No policy was advocated in the exchange.

So, your VG+ collection of black powder rifles are safe. Keep your powder dry.

• there will always be crazed, lone gunmen out there but you can be sure that right wing talk radio and fox news has helped froth up an unprecedented level of fear, paranoia and rage amongst their listeners/viewers.

in retrospect, the DHS report on rising tide of right-wing extremism was highly prescient.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Son, dude was a 9/11 truther and hated 'neo-conservatives'. I doubt he was an avid rush limbaugh fan.

The fact that disagreements exist within the insano far-right doesn't mean he wasn't part of it.

And yes, we're all shocked that you don't come up with your insano far-right talking points yourself.

No one was threatening to take guns away. Someone asked where a convicted felon (this clown spent time in jail for attempting a citizen's arrest of The Fed while armed with a knife, revolver, and shotgun years ago) got a gun? Getting a gun is easy was the point. No policy was advocated in the exchange.

So, your VG+ collection of black powder rifles are safe. Keep your powder dry.

I am afraid you have me pegged wrong. Never owned a gun, probably never will. Just an observation that when this stuff happens, gun-control advocates voices naturally get louder, as does the gun lobby. They feed each other and events like this fuel both sides. I understand getting guns is easy, and am thankful this nut only had his old rifle and not some automatic that could have sprayed the place without even re-loading. I don't care how you couch the criticism, the gun crazies will turn it into "Obama is trying to take my gun and stomp the constitution".

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Sure; that right-wing nutjob in Pittsburgh who shot all those cops was repeating the same "Obama's gonna take our guns away!" bullshit that is taken as Absolute Truth in the wingnut blogosphere.

The unfortunate pattern that simply can't be ignored here is that when the right wing loses power in this country, the wingnut fringe goes apeshit, and people start getting murdered because of their paranoia.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Can we put religious, racial, and sexual discrimination to bed? Let's just put those down. They've been done. It's played out now. Move on to something else to hate, like the size of people's feet or those who enjoy the music of John Tesh.

Like this?

2nd right wing fuckbrain in a week

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Like this?

2nd right wing fuckbrain in a week

Ya got guns? Got guns too.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    they should have more security watching extremist hategroup websites its not all about THE TERRORISTS

• they should have more security watching extremist hategroup websites its not all about THE TERRORISTS

What? Are home-grown domestic extermists not terrorists?

Luch fox=worded.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Mr. Johns is a hero. R.I.P.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I doubt If this dude was associated with the really far right christians as they are all hardcore Zionists. Maybe more of a Libertarian leaning?