Waaambulance to W-Burg (NRR)

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Truth is always stranger than fiction....

The 20 year friend of my daughter that I referenced earlier just called my house, collect, from the County Jail.....locked up.

Got picked up for 4 unpaid parking ticket warrants and 2 failures to appear.

Doesn't want his Mom to know about it.

Really, not wanting your parents to know about something as trivial as parking tickets and a failure to appear is pretty weak. Tell her she needs to be dating men that are hiding worse offenses than that or nothing at all...these guys getting arrested for mediocre shit like parking tickets just can't commit either way and should not be deemed worthy of your daughters. Go big or don't go at all.

Nah dude.....it's her gay friend that has come down to ARC a couple of times. You may have met him at Loopden.

• froz1froz1 154 Posts

A guy fell into my shop, badly beaten and bruised, stinking of alcohol and bleeding out of several cuts on his face (and out of his ear!). He calmly came up to the counter and asked me if we were hiring.

Now that's a guy with "hustle"! What's gonna stop him from being on time every day? Besides the beatings, I mean. HIRE THAT MAN.

WINNER

ha! only my man had on some torn up overalls. Had the privilege of witnessing that one...

My folks made me pay rent from the time I had my first job at 15. All my friends made fun of me....when I moved out of the house at 17 my Mom gave me a check for a little over 3 grand.....it was the "rent" money I had paid her. Taught me how to be independent and prepared me for the real world. Too few parents do this today.

The same here, except I didn't get my "deposit" back.

Sucks too 'cause the whole time I thought I would! Not because my Mom ever hinted at it, I just thought she was teaching me kind of a fake lesson. That day I moved out and she didn't hand me any money, I was bummed!

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I was getting that money back....was a total surprise...maybe that's what made it work, if I was expecting it, it wouldn't have had the same impact.

Thanks Mom.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's just reading the W'burg articles makes me want to f*cking kill those motherfuckers.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Twixters must realize that their parents won't live forever

I'm pretty sure they not only realize it, but are counting on it. Inheritance = the big payday.

Not so much under the change we're believing in. Their (our) beloved Obama is about to help bring an end to the Gravy train. Getting your inheritance taxed at upwards of 60% will make people turn republican very quickly. I would be shocked if this ends up repealing next year.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123172020818472279.html

Dude...the VAST majority of Americans aren't even remotely close to the bracket where the death/estate tax come into play, and those that are have been lobbying like a bunch of whiny ass titty babys trying to make it go away. There's an excellent article in the latest issue of Rolling Stone about just this subject.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/28418678/the_death_tax_scam

Considering the state of affairs in this country and the world right now, this kind of grousing is disgusting, just like the boneless slackjaws who are sitting in Williamsburg like a bunch of veals wondering where the next check is coming from.

I'm not taking an opinion on this; simply responding to Faux comment RE:inheritance and that the tides are turning towards stopping the repeal of this tax. That's all.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    what % of the people who are blasting the wburg parents have been in a traditional office job for at least 5 years?

chances are that these parents have lived that life and want to offer their kids the opportunity to succeed at something that might make them happier.

i'd like to be in a position to let my kids try to do what they are passionate about...at least for a few years.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    what % of the people who are blasting the wburg parents have been in a traditional office job for at least 5 years?

chances are that these parents have lived that life and want to offer their kids the opportunity to succeed at something that might make them happier.

i'd like to be in a position to let my kids try to do what they are passionate about...at least for a few years.

"hey Dad, I wanna live in NYC, cause I'm very passionate about getting high as fusk,working 20 hours a week, designing logos for my buddies Afro-Banjo band, and playing Drunk Dodgeball at McCarren Park."

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    designing logos for my buddies Afro-Banjo band

Are you implying that this would somehow be a waste of time?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

"hey Dad, I wanna live in NYC, cause I'm very passionate about getting high as fusk,working 20 hours a week, designing logos for my buddies Afro-Banjo band, and playing Drunk Dodgeball at McCarren Park."

hey son, go for it. you have the rest of your life to use that finance/premed/history degree to get a real job. you only live once. i'm glad i could provide you with this experience.

YES, you can also choose to do volunteer work for starving kids in africa, join the peacecorps or work for teach for america. if you choose to do any of the above, i'll throw you some extra cash.

you only live once, have fun.

designing logos for my buddies Afro-Banjo band

Are you implying that this would somehow be a waste of time?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I'm saying though.

I think some people in here are getting defensive.

The kids that this article is describing are not the same as someone who just happens to have some rich parents and gets a helping hand here and there. It's not the same thing and no need to lump the two together.

On the parenting thing...

I have a good, old friend whose dad wouldn't give him shit back when we were kids, despite being fairly well off. No new clothes or shoes, no allowance for hanging out or even lunch money, haircut money, not a damn thing. Wouldn't let him push his car on a date, wouldn't even let him hang around the house if he wasn't doing chores. It was all about self-sufficiency and work. It did make my friend a lot more independent and gave him a strong work ethic; but it also gave him a huge complex, screwed with his social life, forced him to sell drugs throughout high school and part of college when he couldn't get a well-enough paying job, and strained the relationship between him and his dad. His dad's gone now, and they never even got a chance to mend.

I see what his dad was thinking, but he did it wrong. IMHO.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey KVH,

I worked as a human resource consultant for 5 years, sometimes managing double-digit employee selection projects (e.g., test development, validation, administration, scoring, appeals boards, and litigation support). These experiences make for good fodder when teaching HR courses. I 'grinded' to get here, mane, so it's hard to knock the hustle! Again, I say there is NOTHING wrong with making a comfortable life for your children, as long as they are taught how to survive in that cruel world "out there." The world doesn't owe anyone shit!!!

And let me add on, I DO NOT advocate the parenting style Jonny described in his previous post. Surely, kids' basic needs (and some frills) should be provided, but not at the expense of teaching the children a good work ethic, responsibility, and self-sufficiency. I feel that my folks did an excellent job of instilling these values, while providing my brother and I a comfortable standard of living as KIDS (not ADULTS).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    F*ck em.

The End.

hey son, go for it. you have the rest of your life to use that finance/premed/history degree to get a real job. you only live once. i'm glad i could provide you with this experience.

YES, you can also choose to do volunteer work for starving kids in africa, join the peacecorps or work for teach for america. if you choose to do any of the above, i'll throw you some extra cash.

"Thank Dad!........The Rent is $2700!......Thanx for takin care of that.....Love Ya!"

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

"Thank Dad!........The Rent is $2700!......Thanx for takin care of that.....Love Ya!"

Yeah, showing love requires more than merely providing a blank check to one's children.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

forced him to sell drugs throughout high school and part of college when he couldn't get a well-enough paying job

You can't be serious....."forced him to sell drugs".....really??

Why, because that was the only way he could get ENOUGH money to live the lifestyle he wanted to??

I think the whole concept was for the kid to go out and work like everyone else and learn the value of hard work = $$$.

My father didn't give me stuff so I was forced to sell drugs.....uh huh.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

The kids that this article is describing are not the same as someone who just happens to have some rich parents and gets a helping hand here and there. It's not the same thing and no need to lump the two together.

As to the SS argument, this is the thing. This thread got far too black/white.

I think we can all agree there is room for parents to help their children financially. There is also room for parents to overdo it with said children, or for kids to take advantage of the situation.

forced him to sell drugs throughout high school and part of college when he couldn't get a well-enough paying job

Why, because that was the only way he could get ENOUGH money to live the lifestyle he wanted to??

I think the whole concept was for the kid to go out and work like everyone else and learn the value of hard work = $$$.

Hey Rock,

We've had these conversations on the 'Strut before, outlying the many ways our fathers encouraged us to be industrious. In my case, pops responded to my brother and I asking him for money by suggesting that we cut lawns to earn it. Needless to say, one of my first jobs was cutting grass around the neighborhood. It gave us a good feeling to make our OWN money. Other jobs I did to make money during my childhood years included:

-Babysitting.
    -Delivered newspapers
    -Raking leaves.
    -Picking tobacco (yuck!).
    -Cleaning construction sites.
    -Bagging groceries.
    -Driving a schoolbus (in high school).
    -Working on the grill at Wendy's.

All of these jobs helped me grow accustomed to working and promoted the idea I could get want I wanted by working. It's deplorable for kids to growing never having had a job. I think that is very irresponsible parenting and not preparing kids for what life will be like as an adult. These experiences also helped me to sort out what kind of work I might want to do as a profession (or not). Later experiences like driving an ice-cream truck, loading parcel trucks, and delivering furniture motivated me to perform better in college to make sure, as some have mentioned, that I wouldn't get stuck in a physically grueling 9 to 5 or dead-end job. There isn't anything wrong with giving kids some early work experiences, regardless of a family's economic status, to teach them about life.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

not even worth it

The same US government that sets and enforces drug laws also happens to sell drugs like a mugg.

It in many ways makes this country go round.

So I ask you, what is the point of following the so-called laws of hypocrites?

Point being, kids selling drugs is indeed about as industrious a business there is. The heightened profit margins go right along with the risks associated with the profession.

And especially for those who limit their drug selling to say weed, or for that matter just drugs that they themelves do, what is the moral dlimena again that we are supposed to get all knee-jerked sanctimonious about?

You grow up in America and you sell drugs and you are doing just what America, the same America that far too many of its citizens prop up as beyond reproach, offers for you as one of the most practical means of making a living there is.

Wake up and smell the smoke already, Rock. It ain't no big deal unless you are going to take care of the bad examples being set at the top of the drug food chain first and foremost. Until you straighten that out, your indignation toward the mere foot soldiers simply has no legs to stand on.

The same US government that sets and enforces drug laws also happens to sell drugs like a mugg.

Point being, kids selling drugs is indeed about as industrious a business there is. The heightened profit margins go right along with the risks associated with the profession.

And especially for those who limit their drug selling to say weed, or for that matter just drugs that they themelves do, what is the moral dlimena again that we are supposed to get all knee-jerked sanctimonious about?

You grow up in America and you sell drugs and you are doing just what America, the same America that far too many of its citizens prop up as beyond reproach, offers for you as one of the most practical means of making a living there is.

Wake up and smell the smoke already, Rock. It ain't no big deal unless you are going to take care of the bad examples being set at the top of the drug food chain first and foremost. Until you straighten that out, your indignation toward the mere foot soldiers simply has no legs to stand on.

I don't disagree, and even participate in this trade on the demand side.

But from the top to the bottom, it's a CHOICE, no one is "forcing" anyone to sell OR buy drugs.

So why do YOU work a legal job when you could make so much more money slangin' dope and provide a supposed better life for your kid??

Because you know better.

not even worth it

C'mon...plases to explain how a kid from an upper middle class family was "forced" to sell drugs.

His family wouldn't feed him?? No roof over his head??

Izod didn't have an outlet store near by?

But from the top to the bottom, it's a CHOICE, no one is "forcing" anyone to sell OR buy drugs.

So why do YOU work a legal job when you could make so much more money slangin' dope and provide a supposed better life for your kid??

Because you know better.

Now that I have a child the risk of having her taken from me isn't worth it.

But when I was younger, I sold drugs and to this day have absolutely no regrets about it.

And Harv....seriously, are you going to teach your child that selling drugs is a viable option for income??

I have no problem with folks who sell drugs.

I think they should all be legal.

But it's pretty ridiculous to hear that a rich kid was "forced" to sell drugs because he father wouldn't give him things that drug profits could buy.

And I am fully aware that there are plenty of people who's economic/educational background "forces" them to do so...and I sympathize with these folks.

not even worth it

C'mon...plases to explain how a kid from an upper middle class family was "forced" to sell drugs.

His family wouldn't feed him?? No roof over his head??

Izod didn't have an outlet store near by?

Dude, not every one shares your values. And as I mentioned above, where would they be getting your values from in this country of drugs all over the place? People say they were forced to take a job at McDonald's all the time. I know you wouldn't bat an eye at that. So why do you get all up in arms about someone saying they were forced to sell drugs? It's basically the same thing. In fact, McDonalds just might be killing more people than drugs do. So there you go...

Because you know better.

But when I was younger, I sold drugs and to this day have absolutely no regrets about it.

Were you forced to do it?? Or was it your choice, fully cognizant of the potential consequences?

What's the difference? I did it.

Because you know better.

Were you forced to do it?? Or was it your choice, fully cognizant of the potential consequences?

Because that's what we're discussing here....not the moral dilemma of illegal drugs in our country.

Because you know better.

Because that's what we're discussing here....not the moral dilemma of illegal drugs in our country.

That's the distinction you are making though...that no one should ever feel forced to sell drugs. But dude, I'm telling you, you are one of the last bastions of people making that distinction...you and a bunch of hypocrites who actually sell drugs for money, or at the very least benefit from people selling drugs for money.

Rich, if you want to have a conversation about this face to face I'll be happy to tell you some stories. I'm not going to argue with you about a good friend of mine - who I wouldn't consider a "rich kid" by any stretch - on this site for all to see where I am asked to put his business out there just to prove you wrong or contrast it with how your kids have grown up. Neither is anyone's business. And to that end, you should stop writing these baiting, disrespectful posts. You don't really know shit about me or anyone else here and it's not cool.