how large a factor is RARITY when it comes to...

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited July 2005 in Record Collecting
your own personal money spending habits on rekkids?? i was speaking to a friend of mine who said he doesn't mind paying extra for a record that's rare, even if he doesn't think it's particularly better than a non-rare lp which is obviously much cheaper.

take for example, a random lp, let's say michael white's "spirit dance" on impulse!. good record, goes for like 10 bucks. but if this was a private press "spiritual jazz" rarity from the early 70's, i could easily picture people paying hundreds for it. but the bottom line is, records like this (and much better ones) are readily available for 5-10 bucks. but some would rather own (and pay 10 times more for) a private press rarity, rather than a much better yet common lp that they don't own. speak your piece on it...

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'd rather pay a little more for some dumbass raer LP I know someone else will buy for even more than buying an excellent midpiece I can't get rid of.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Depends on what your funds are, doesn??t it?

If you??re in a position to drop $$$ on a raer that you really want, why not? I personally think the music should be the number one priority when it comes to buying records, but different people like different things.

I don??t have a lot of money for spending on records (poor student), and I don??t purchase a lot online, so I have to wait for things to come up on the field for cheap somehow, or simply not buy the thing. That being said I??d rather have 10 killer common records than 1 super-raer so-so one-tracker.

One day though.

- J

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    I think people just want to hear what the buzz is about or what it sounds like. It's like once you have found all the kinda common records why not move onto the next level. I don't know.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    some people are more of collectors than music fans

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    For a lot of people who have been collecting a while, they have all the common records or just don't like them. When you have almost all of the $10-$15 records, and believe me, this is quite doable, then the only thing left are more expensive records. That's the way collecting is whether it be baseball cards, toys, or whathaveyou.

• good post. i do not beleive that you can get " all " the $10 and $15 records you would want. When you start crossing genres and start going after a large variety of records it becomes hopelessly vast.

michael white is great. the album go with the flow has a track on it i am totally down with. $15 to $40 records are an artform. there is more pleasure in these records than in rare because there is so much to enjoy and learn about and the quality of music is higher across the board than with the rares. there are so many good ones out there it is absurd.

rare records are rare records and if you have a penchant you will have to pay. i own many a record just because the rareness of it, and the culturally speicific moment it provides to me. rare records freak me out and it get me trippin. i like that too.

i bought a record from bobby today with a naked dude on the cover tucking his dick between his legs and making like a vagina. he is sporting aviator goggles too, i am just going to sell it to one arm so who gives a shit anyway. i'm rocking doubles of ma la lady too.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    For a lot of people who have been collecting a while, they have all the common records or just don't like them. When you have almost all of the $10-$15 records, and believe me, this is quite doable, then the only thing left are more expensive records. That's the way collecting is whether it be baseball cards, toys, or whathaveyou.

There is a certain phenomena, however, that seems like a fairly recent development, and that's the strain of collectors who have skipped the generally accepted practice of collecting the common and $10-20 Lps before graduating to dropping coin on the rare, and begin on a quest for rare early in their persuit. It has been commented on at length here before so I won't get up anyone's ass about it here, except to say that it is ALWAYS good to have a strong foundation.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

$15 to $40 records are an artform. there is more pleasure in these records than in rare because there is so much to enjoy and learn about and the quality of music is higher across the board than with the rares. there are so many good ones out there it is absurd.

This sums up where I am at on the subject better than I could. I agree 110%

is great if I can come up on it cheap, but paying premium for it is no fun.

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    some people are more of collectors than diggers

• some people are more of collectors than diggers

• some people are more of collectors than diggers
    another reason i ask this question, is the fact that i used to have a bunch of "rare" stuff that i never listened to or even particularly dug. just this last year i sold a bunch of records that i was holding onto solely for their rarity (i suppose, since i never really listened to them). it just opened my eyes to what the bottom line is when it comes to my inital attraction to lp's, and that's the music.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    This is the dumbest thread ever. Why does rare stuff cost more? Gah...

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    some people are more of collectors than diggers
    another reason i ask this question, is the fact that i used to have a bunch of "rare" stuff that i never listened to or even particularly dug. just this last year i sold a bunch of records that i was holding onto solely for their rarity (i suppose, since i never really listened to them). it just opened my eyes to what the bottom line is when it comes to my inital attraction to lp's, and that's the music.

I simply meant by my comment that I think of myself more of a collector than a digger. I dont go out and hit spots anymore, if I see something online / in a store / on a list that I want and its priced that I cna afford it, i'll pick it up. I've done alright in thrifts, but I dont have the time, nor the inclination anymore for them.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    your own personal money spending habits on rekkids?? i was speaking to a friend of mine who said he doesn't mind paying extra for a record that's rare, even if he doesn't think it's particularly better than a non-rare lp which is obviously much cheaper.

take for example, a random lp, let's say michael white's "spirit dance" on impulse!. good record, goes for like 10 bucks. but if this was a private press "spiritual jazz" rarity from the early 70's, i could easily picture people paying hundreds for it. but the bottom line is, records like this (and much better ones) are readily available for 5-10 bucks. but some would rather own (and pay 10 times more for) a private press rarity, rather than a much better yet common lp that they don't own. speak your piece on it...

Hmm...

I would have thought with all the collectors in the house that someone would have stood up for the quality of raer records as music.

I don't buy this whole "common records are better music than raer ones."

Sure there are plenty (and probably more) good common records than rare ones, but I don't think they are always entirely comparable. I have always listened to a lot of INDEPENDENT (cause isn't that what a raer record is most of the time) artists because I like the sound of them. Lower budget recordings have a much more raw, stripped down sound and are often quite experimental. Often you can hear a raspyness to the vocals you wouldn't catch in a big studio production, or maybe some really rough and nice drums, it goes across the board. Common records on the other hand are usually larger, more expensive productions that have a more refined sound, especially records from 77ish to the present which are the ones I collect. To me, that doesn't make it better.

I find, especially with 12"s, that the music is often just as quality.

Sure there are plenty of crappy records that people will pay lots of money for because they collect and it is raer, but that isn't necessarily the rule. And there probably aren't that many people on this board that collect without a serious appreciation for the music itself.

That said, yeah, I'm a digger and don't spend very much on my records, especially the raer ones. I actually tend to spend more money on medium-raer records than raer ones, cause those are the ones I try to track down and pay market value for. No record is worth 3+ bills to me, but that's just me, if I find it for a buck or two, it's all good.

Yeah, most great artists get signed and put out records that get produced in large numbers, but that is exactly what makes the great indy ones so desirable- the SOUND is harder to come by.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    There is a certain phenomena, however, that seems like a fairly recent development, and that's the strain of collectors who have skipped the generally accepted practice of collecting the common and $10-20 Lps before graduating to dropping coin on the rare, and begin on a quest for rare early in their persuit.

I think the internet plays a big part in this. I think it's much easier nowadays to find info/hear about Michael James Kirkland than Michael White (not comparing the two music-wise) People that know a lot about $10-20 records dig a lot (no timmy) That's the only way to find out about that stuff. facist record geeks are too busy talking about the $300 they spent on some garbage James Brown rip-off that there was only 500 pressed in Ohio of to discuss that stuff. So, dumbasses who want to get into "digging" know about this stuff. How often is Michael White discussed on this board? He is awesome, & I can't remember the last time I read his name on here. How often is Prince Ramu Whala Abdul Fakkahr's private press "Ode to the Scorpion" discussed on here? All the fucking time - because the 10 guys who have it never tire of telling people they have it!

• Prince Ramu Whala Abdul Fakkahr's private press "Ode to the Scorpion"

yeah i got this shit, total heat front to back, , real headz, you know there are only like 2 copies of it in existence, its worth like 600 but i found it in a garbage dumpster

Prince Ramu Whala Abdul Fakkahr's private press "Ode to the Scorpion" discussed on here?

yeah i got this shit, total heat front to back, , real headz, you know there are only like 2 copies of it in existence

O V E R H Y P E D[/b]

• Prince Ramu Whala Abdul Fakkahr's private press "Ode to the Scorpion" discussed on here?

yeah i got this shit, total heat front to back, , real headz, you know there are only like 2 copies of it in existence

O V E R H Y P E D[/b]

hey dog i will sell you it if you can borrow rey's mom's credit card

Prince Ramu Whala Abdul Fakkahr's private press "Ode to the Scorpion" discussed on here?

O V E R H Y P E D[/b]

hey dog i will sell you it if you can borrow rey's mom's credit card

Puulllease! The late Prince Ramu's widow is staying in my guest house. As we speak I have in my posession the last sealed box of "Ode to the Scorpion" lps. She tells me that he personaly blessed this last box with his mystical sceptor - the one with the cobra head carved on it. I'm wearing the Dashiki he died in right now, beatch!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    well im of the attitude that there's a near inifinite amount of great records... thus i try to never spend more than $10 for anything.

i can go to my spot and grab 40 12"s for $40 bones... and end up with a nice corss spectrum of hits, raers and complete obscurities.

to me that is money well spent.

i could never justify spending the same on 1 12" just because its a big record.

just doesnt give me the same kind of thrill as sifting through a pile of crazy shit i've never heard of.

• I have in my posession the last sealed box of "Ode to the Scorpion" lps.

man, i don't think I've ever seen the record game played so badly

• can i interest you in a state of the art diggers hazmat?

I have in my posession the last sealed box of "Ode to the Scorpion" lps.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

I see you crink.

• I have in my posession the last sealed box of "Ode to the Scorpion" lps.

I see you crink.

sorry i quoted you hawk from a post you tried to delete, but that is a great line

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I enjoy having good music that other people might not have.

At the same time if music is good, that is the most important.

I'm not one to talk though as I spend a shit load of money on so-called "rare" records.

But for every one that I've spent hundreds there are two or three in the same vein that I found for very very cheap.

Why are there always posts about this?

SQUABBLEDRUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

I see you crink.

sorry i quoted you hawk from a post you tried to delete, but that is a great line

that was an pretty condescending thing for me to say...

good thing I got right w/ the lord since.

• eetzeetz 53 Posts
    Do you think it may have anything to do with how long it will be until you see this record again?

It's "raer" to see a "raer", but if I see a $20 peice, I can alway buy it the next time I see it, or even easier, jump on the internet and never even have to look for it.

• Options
    well im of the attitude that there's a near inifinite amount of great records... thus i try to never spend more than $10 for anything.

i can go to my spot and grab 40 12"s for $40 bones... and end up with a nice corss spectrum of hits, raers and complete obscurities.

to me that is money well spent.

i could never justify spending the same on 1 12" just because its a big record.

just doesnt give me the same kind of thrill as sifting through a pile of crazy shit i've never heard of.

I'm the opposite. I get a high off hearing a dope tune I've never heard before - it's what drives me. Kinda know the parameters and recognize hints of what it may look like, but can't tell you a name. IF the seller of said discovery also realizes it's dopeness, I gotta pay - and never mind doing so. IT's quality over quantity for me (though I'ma crackhead of many genres)

Want Lists, Cellphones and Cars are for suckers, K in Canada.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    K

you get that email i sent you?