L.A. Headz -Kogi Korean BBQ Taco Truck

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    pacific blvd. i dig that strip. also, ive found lots of tejano and cumbia around those parts. it gets rough real quick right around there tho.

i really like el sereno. im surprised it hasnt been fully engulfed by white folks yet. great location, hills, and that part of huntington drive was kinda on the come up a few years ago.

Real estate in that area isn't that cheap so someone's buying up stuff there. But if the local sabor of the residents hasn't flipped that hard, one likely reason is that schools in the area aren't so hot. There's a very interesting local charter school in that area though that has dual immersion Spanish from K, with Mandarin classes added starting in 3rd grade. Talk about a microcosm of LA!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    arent there plate lunch trucks in hawaii? id lose my shit over that.
    oh yeah for sure but i think i've seen ONE taco truck in the past few years and i haven't seen it in a minute. add on the korean part and its like whoa

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The joint in Hawaii is the garlic shrimp trucks. Amazing.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The joint in Hawaii is the garlic shrimp trucks. Amazing.
    i'm assuming you haven't hit the garlic shrimp AND steak trucks then

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    nope, that would have been nice considering how hungry I was rolling up towards the North Shore.

This may be sacrilege but I think plate lunch trucks >>> garlic shrimp trucks.

And Brian - Korean tacos are a cool idea and decently executed but shit isn't life-changing.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Speaking of North Shore, I just ate this for lunch today:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090511/BREAKING03/90511071

Just opened in town last week omg so good.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Is it just me or are koreans on the cutting-edge of all things food-related?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    sounds good to me! I've been jonesin for some good korean bbq.

Depends - does Pinkberry count as "cutting-edge"?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I was near your old neighborhood on Sunday night, waiting for some food with a couple of friends. One of them, who lives in Mt. Washington, was remarking how []York Blvd. just seems poised for transformation (read: gentrification)[/b] and while I'm certainly not as familiar with the area as you are, from a casual outsider's perspective, I could see what he's saying, especially when you compare Highland Park with other, similar neighborhoods that have already gone through that process - from Silverlake, south to parts of Long Beach, over west to Mar Vista. Compared to, say, West Adams (let alone any of the main N-S streets running down through South LA), York seems more likely to eventually flip, despite the violence. It's not going to turn into Fair Oaks overnight but c'mon, you can't see it turning into something closer to Eagle Rock Blvd? Hell, look at the neighborhood right around 56th and Fig - that's just 3 blocks from your old block. There's a new Vietnamese "comfort food" dinette that just opened there; I ran into J-Rocc outside of it the other night[/b] and I'd wager it's not unusual to see strollers parked in front.

damn o why you gott do j rocc like that?

I was near your old neighborhood on Sunday night, waiting for some food with a couple of friends. One of them, who lives in Mt. Washington, was remarking how []York Blvd. just seems poised for transformation (read: gentrification)[/b] and while I'm certainly not as familiar with the area as you are, from a casual outsider's perspective, I could see what he's saying, especially when you compare Highland Park with other, similar neighborhoods that have already gone through that process - from Silverlake, south to parts of Long Beach, over west to Mar Vista. Compared to, say, West Adams (let alone any of the main N-S streets running down through South LA), York seems more likely to eventually flip, despite the violence. It's not going to turn into Fair Oaks overnight but c'mon, you can't see it turning into something closer to Eagle Rock Blvd? Hell, look at the neighborhood right around 56th and Fig - that's just 3 blocks from your old block. There's a new Vietnamese "comfort food" dinette that just opened there; I ran into J-Rocc outside of it the other night[/b] and I'd wager it's not unusual to see strollers parked in front.

Uh, considering I was eating at said establishment at the time, whereas J-Rocc was merely picking up a to-go menu, I figured I'm outing myself more than him.

I should add: the curry chicken pot pie was kind of proper but their spicy fries were lukewarm. Weak.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Uh, considering I was eating at said establishment at the time, whereas J-Rocc was merely picking up a to-go menu, I figured I'm outing myself more than him.

I should add: the curry chicken pot pie was kind of proper but their spicy fries were lukewarm. Weak.

duly noted: real bad boys cop the to-go menu. haha.

I will have to check this place out when I get back to LA, gentrification be damned; I love me some pot pies.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

While I'd love to agree, since I'm a HUGE fan of Korean food. I just got back and the only let down was...

Bulgogi Dog

But there was SOOOOO much great food. The realness includes:

Thx to the dude Jay. Who I think is on the strut (What up home slice) for taking us to that spot a couple of times.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

The clones have arrived. There's a Chinese Mexican truck out there plus a shameless Kogi clone called "Calbi" - they even bite the font and color design!

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Yea the Calbi truck sucks. I got suckered into that one at work. Not enough kim chi and no tofu.

Kogi is good... its trendy and overblown but the food is good as hell.

But you can get Kogi anytime you want at the alibi room in culver city.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    They couldn't come up with a better name that "Kogi"??