Weekend Finds (Fri-Sun)

Comments

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

and some other things, but everybody else is killing it. DIE.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    finally finished the ghetto chronicle daily deal and got the record home. it was well worth the wait.

How is that Ghetto Chronicle? Damn I wish I could hear it.

Also picked this up for the cover.

Is that a compilation? If I'm not mistaken it includes a certain track by the name of 'synthetic substitution"?

• i got Frank Cunimondos last album today. it's really good.

you mean the George Benson dealy? that's a good score man!!!!

today at lunch i found Frank's "Lamp is Low".
    complete dig list forthcoming as soon as i figure out what is up for trade...

• finally finished the ghetto chronicle daily deal and got the record home. it was well worth the wait.

How is that Ghetto Chronicle? Damn I wish I could hear it.

Also picked this up for the cover.

Is that a compilation? If I'm not mistaken it includes a certain track by the name of 'synthetic substitution"?

Nah I wish. It just has hit song covers on it by other famous artists. Tina Turner, Mongo Santamaria, Taj Mahal, Aretha Franklin, O.C Smith, Erma Fraklin, The Chamber Brothers, The Spellbinders, Aretha Franklin, and Santana.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    NYC digs:

Orange Juice - I Can't Help Myself 12" (Polydor)
    Marcos Valle - Samba '68 (Verve)
    Transit Express - Opus Progressif (RCA)
    Sweet Smoke - Just a Poke (EMI)
    OST (?) - Karate Moves - The Mystical World of Karate (GNP)
    Eddie Palmieri - Azucar Pa' Ti (Tico)
    Pete Rodrgiguez - Right On! Ahi Ma Ma! (All-Art)
    Kokono #1 - Congotronics (Crammed)
    Ranking Trevor - Answer Me Question 7" (Studio One)
    DVD - The Harder They Come

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    NYC digs:

George?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    NYC digs:

George?

Not sure. Narrated by Mike Faure and featuring the music of Steve Linnegar's Snakeshed. Bought in on Essex Street.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Essex=George. Anyway, howsit sound? 80s compresso-funk with amusing karate voiceover?

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I got this. I didn't really wanna devote a new thread to it, but anyway.... its pretty damn mint:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I got this. I didn't really wanna devote a new thread to it, but anyway.... its pretty damn mint:

dare i ask what you paid?

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    About 350.

Not too bad going for minty fresh.... and considering I've always wanted one of these, I would have sold my soul to the sayer for one this mint.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    One day I will actually post my own photos instead of stealing from other sites. It's nice to have some pictures, though. All were a buck each...

I also picked up some high-end classical stuff for a song ($.10 each) to to resell on the bay.

• That little Kaoss pad on the right just got really jealous.

Post some sound files of that thing. Bet it's ridiculous. Congrats!

• Options

What's that Lp on the top left? Highlife?

K.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

How many a respectable record store let many dope LPs slip for a dollar.

that's the great thing about amoeba. they get so many god damn records that sometimes the people who are pricing them don't know what the fuck they're doing and you'll find a gem for cheap, but you have to go at least once a week to check.

Time to drop some truth on y'alls

Amoeba isn't as dumb as you guys may think they are. I mean they sell the reissue of the Harlem river drive, so they do know whats up. I've got quite a few friends that work there and they will purposely put out a few valuable pieces at a cheap(er) price. Why you may ask? well its all about selling. Amoeba has so much product coming through that they got to price it to sell, not to mention those that find an occasional deal will more than likely return to the store hoping to find another great deal and pick up some other LP's while there.

Sometimes they get lucky and someone tells everyone else how he found something cheap at Amoeba. That $25 just pai for some effective advertising.

But that don't mean they don't make little fuck ups too. I was lucky enough to pull a mint Future Flight LP out of Amoeba LA last week for $2.95, was it a mistake? who cares. I got it for two fucking dollars and ninety-five cents

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

How many a respectable record store let many dope LPs slip for a dollar.

that's the great thing about amoeba. they get so many god damn records that sometimes the people who are pricing them don't know what the fuck they're doing and you'll find a gem for cheap, but you have to go at least once a week to check.

Time to drop some truth on y'alls

I don't think you are revealing any mysteries of the Pyramids, here, A*am! But I guess some folks haven't figured out some of that yet. The return quantity buyer keeps these stores alive.

• What's that Lp on the top left? Highlife?

K.

It is highlife, from 1979. Nkrabea, The Black Masters' Band. I find it quite listenable and I'm not a big highlife fan either.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Snagged "The Carpenter" for $1 at a Goodwill. It's one of those typical Xtian JC Superstar rip-offs that emulates bursts of "secular" coolness but generally can't quite pull it off, mostly because there's this Gaither Choir that interludes every two fucking seconds to let us know what God Would Have To Say About That.

Good straightforward break, though (when pitched down, esp.). And a few interesting 2- and 4- bar loops. One or two Diplo-exploito moments ready to be slooowwwwed down. It's not Agape or Jeremiah People, though. That's fer sure.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts

How is that Ghetto Chronicle?

most of it is somewhat boring mid 90s rap, kind of a cheap version of ditc & them. but i feel 2 tracks make it really worth the hype. don't have it here now and can't remember the names yet.

• Harold Land Quintet - Peace-Maker (Cadet)
    Hank Mobley - Flip (Blue Note)
    Charles Earland - Kharma (Prestige)
    Gladys Knight/Curtis - Claudine (Buddah)
    Grant Green - Shades of Green (Blue Note)
    Grant Green - Main Attraction (Kudu)
    Elvin Jones - new Agenda (Vanguard)
    Frank Cunimondo - Lamp is Low (Mondo)
    Eternal Now - Don Cherry (Antilles)
    Art of Tea - Michael Franks
    Master of Reality - Black Sabbath (WB)
    Dee Dee Bridgewater - s/t (Atl 1976)

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    came up on some good stuff at a nice spot in san diego.

most were a dollar. they wanted two dollars each for the albert ayler and the ramsey lewis. got some other stuff, like a bunch of arthur lyman and some julie london because my girlfriend loves that stuff.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Found these:

• Found some stuff while chilling at the mountain retreat

among other things

But this walked into the store today

deeply embedded in a box of utter crap.

cool

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Found some stuff while chilling at the mountain retreat

among other things

But this walked into the store today

deeply embedded in a box of utter crap.

cool

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    ::: The sound of countless Strutters writing scribbling plans for record stores :::

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Well, the weekend finds thread keeps going, so I'll just drop 'em in here, cause I found a couple dope pieces today...

First, finally in the mail from Mexico, the last of my 4th-of-July-drunken-eBay-binge:

Unfortunately it is rough. Plays like it was once Ben Grimm's scratch copy. Still, a Mexican pressing of the first Senor Soul LP is pretty cool...and not something one will find "in the field" in the Northeastern USA.

Then a local spot today had some serious heat in the new arrivals bin. I bought these 2, and put a few more on hold for me to return with some trade support:

This Midnight Movers Ltd. record is dope!! Alot like "Salt of the Earth" by the Soul Searchers, with a couple rock covers thrown in, too, funky as hell throughout, drum braeks, all that shit.

This one is ill, too, lots of sick moments on it. Interesting, though, that this one is reissued and the Midnight Movers isn't...same year, same style, and I think the Midnight Movers might be better...maybe...real nice copy of the Boobie for a real nice price, too.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    you mean senor soul was actually Mexican?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I thought the senor soul dudes were actually the guys from War

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    you mean senor soul was actually Mexican?

Well, I'm pretty sure Brenton Wood wasn't Mexican, and they got ads on the back for his LP.

Yeah, the Senor Soul dudes are guys that went on to start WAR, and I don't know if any of them are Mexican, although it wouldn't surprise me...but I wasn't saying , "yo, here's that OG Mexican pressing of those Mexican funk monsters, Senor Soul!" I just thought a Mexican press of a SS album was neat.

And trashed.