WTF is the "crossfade flow" - Shadz of Lingo rel

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Was reading a review of Shadz of Lingo's old album and it mentioned they used a gimmicky technique dubbed the "crossfade flow". I noticed the full album also has a track called "Crossfade Flow" but all I've got is the Mad Flavaz 12".I'm guessing its something retarded but I'm curious regardless.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I just listened to it. Apparently, the "crossfade flow" is when both dudes rhyme the lines at the same time.
    Disclaimer: *I've never listened to this til just now, only heard the single.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    ala rza on that odb album...makes sense. crossfade flow. I know it's been done forever; figures it'd have a good name.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    "Run" "D"
    "M" "C"

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    its old as dirt

its old as dirt

better name, though.

Crossfade Flow.

its old as dirt

better name, though.

Crossfade Flow.

Harmonize

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    all I've got is the Mad Flavaz 12".

Love Erick Sermon's verse on that.

URR-rick/Dass da bassline from the Humpty skit!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    its old as dirt

better name, though.

Crossfade Flow.

If they would've said "that Run DMC shit" I would've known.

For the record I love Run DMC's rhymes but I absolutely hate the back and forth.

It's not even really Run DMC style tho, they don't really go back and forth. They rhyme the same thing at the same time. Group verses or something. MOP with less yelling.

• I get yer distinction. What do we call the two emcees w/ different tracks @ the same time. Panned L/R? Latyrx "Latyrx: last chance to comprehend"

Simulrap
    Overlaprap
    Double up flow

that's that superscientifical channel pan specifical lyricals

It's not even really Run DMC style tho, they don't really go back and forth. They rhyme the same thing at the same time. Group verses or something. MOP with less yelling.

?

They do it word for word on the intro, and if you listen around 1 min they go back and forth line/line.

The worst is on some of their other songs when they go back and forth like every two lines. Drives me nuts. I'd much prefer verse/verse.

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    aaaah we kickin mad flavaz/aaah we droppin mad flavaz

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Ehhhh.... but thanks for the example.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Listened the F*ck out of the Shadz of Lingo album when it came out...let me tell you one more time, kid, shut the F*ck up.

Listened the F*ck out of the Shadz of Lingo album when it came out...let me tell you one more time, kid, shut the F*ck up.

How unfortunate you wasted so much time on something Erick Sermon found in the back of his sock drawer.

How unfortunate you wasted so much time on something Erick Sermon found in the back of his sock drawer.

1. Always been a big enough fan of Erick Sermon that that's fine with me. I listened the F*ck out of the Illegal album as well.

2. Shadz of Lingo, at least the fat dude, presented one of the first times that we began to hear real Southern sounding dudes in rap. There was of course Big Mike and then Outkast dropping around the same time, but might as well call the Shadz dude a proto-Cee-Lo...and that's a good thing in my book.

3. This is something I've said on this board before, but I"m so tired of so-called rap fans wantng to drag down the tastes of other actual rap fans with their I-only-like-15%-of-the-rap-I've-ever-heard noses in the air. Face it, you don't like rap.

1. Always been a big enough fan of Erick Sermon that that's fine with me. I listened the F*ck out of the Illegal album as well.

2. Shadz of Lingo, at least the fat dude, presented one of the first times that we began to hear real Southern sounding dudes in rap. There was of course Big Mike and then Outkast dropping around the same time, but might as well call the Shadz dude a proto-Cee-Lo...and that's a good thing in my book.

3. This is something I've said on this board before, but I"m so tired of so-called rap fans wantng to drag down the tastes of other actual rap fans with their I-only-like-15%-of-the-rap-I've-ever-heard noses in the air. Face it, you don't like rap.

Rap is more or less all I listen to or have ever listened to, so it would be hard to "face it" that I don't like it. You seem to be mistaking me for some of the tight-pantsed crew that habitates SS and keeps their EPMD alongside their Bittersweet Symphony maxi-single.

And it would make no sense that because I don't like a second (or third) tier group from fifteen years ago that I don't like rap.

On top of that, why in the hell would you be so ass-hurt about it? Highly suspect.

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe I don't have to like every cut-out bin hip hop group that crosses my path? I think I summed it up fairly clearly:
    1.) I don't like their style of flow

And I think even a whiny douchebag such as yourself can agree that their style accounts for a little less than 85% of hip hop. Maybe .01%.

So that leaves 99.99%. I think I'm good.

On a personal note, you're f*cking weird.

PS - Not big on Erick Sermon's beats either.

I don't like rap. - Not big on Erick Sermon's beats.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

And? Plenty of people think nothing of saying they prefer West or South.

I probably should clarify - I like EPMD's early shit, but by the time it came around to his solo projects like No Pressure I get kinda ehhhhh on it. You may also note this is just about when Shadz of Lingo comes into play.

The pre '93 EPMD albums are all good.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    This style is a staple of any Beastie Boys song

That's the thing, there are what, 20 first tier rap acts at any given time, 100 second tier acts, and then thousands upon thousands of third tier acts. So by you using the term "third tier" as an insult in its own right...you don't like but a itzee bitzee tiny percentage of the rap that's out there.

In other news, I listened the F*ck out of No Pressure as well.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

And? Plenty of people think nothing of saying they prefer West or South.

I probably should clarify - I like EPMD's early shit, but by the time it came around to his solo projects like No Pressure I get kinda ehhhhh on it. You may also note this is just about when Shadz of Lingo comes into play.

The pre '93 EPMD albums are all good.

Are you sayin' these albums are weak?

Redman - Dare Iz A Dark Side 94
    Keith Murray - The Most Beautifullest Thing in This World 94

On the PMD side, I ride hard for that Top Quality album as well.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    id agree that shadz was meant for the cutout bin...but i listened to that record many many times. there are some banging ass songs on there (not mad flavaz).
    last song was sick, "always stylin". intro was good too

i remember liking the knucklehedz LP, but i dont think it ever got released.

overall, im not crazy about eric sermon beats.

That's the thing, there are what, 20 first tier rap acts at any given time, 100 second tier acts, and then thousands upon thousands of third tier acts. So by you using the term "third tier" as an insult in its own right...you don't like but a itzee bitzee tiny percentage of the rap that's out there.

In other news, I listened the F*ck out of No Pressure as well.

No, what I'm saying is:

1.) a group is third tier either because they don't stand out (or downright suck), or they're somehow overlooked. Shadz of Lingo didn't suck, but they sure as F*ck weren't overlooked. They're just third tier, period - just there. blah.

2.) Again, you seem to be hooked on that Shadz of Lingo seems to be representative of some greater whole of the hip hop population. Did I say I didn't like all third tier groups? I'm perfectly content sitting around listening to my cutout bin copy of Granddaddy I.U. - I like it. I don't particularly like Shadz of Lingo. By themselves. 1 down, 1,999 other third tier groups still out there.

And yes, I called them third tier because they are. If I said I didn't like Rakim we would be in a whole different ballgame. Shadz of Lingo are somewhere outside of the stadium, across the street in the $4 an hour parking lot.

---

Did you do production on their album or something? You seem to be taking this much harder than any normal person would. I don't think much of their work. Period. Them. There's no greater conspiracy, there's no massive connection outward. I. don't. like. Shadz of Lingo.

On the PMD side, I ride hard for that Top Quality album as well.

I've got that tape floating around somewhere. I picked it up because of Magnum's Opus... then i realized he just happened to hit on a good horn loop for that song. Rest of the tape didn't live up to that song; but i haven't listened to the rest of it in a couple years.