Seattle -- What is up Friday and Saturday night?

JRootJRoot 861 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
The wife is presenting a paper at a conference Friday afternoon in Seattle, so we're in town for the quickness. We may try to catch the Mariners one night, but what else is recommended in the emerald city this weekend?Thanks in advance,JRoot

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The wife is presenting a paper at a conference Friday afternoon in Seattle, so we're in town for the quickness. We may try to catch the Mariners one night, but what else is recommended in the emerald city this weekend?

Thanks in advance,
    JRoot

Seattle is fun, but Saturday night is all about the Night Owl Record Show in Portland.

Mariner game is recommended. Great stadium.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    the mercury is rising! sunday supposed to be 66 degrees...the cherry blossoms are popping and the Seattleites will be out in full joggingstroller force, clutching coffees and smiling and waving...

M's are a hit again (Junior and Ichiro both went deep last night AYO), going to a game would be a good move...watch 40000 people politely clap and sit on their hands...but it's a great setting and the team is on a winning streak and The Kid's not hurt yet and yay

I say grab a bike and roll a bike path and look at our water and trees and mountains, if you can...

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I could not get purchase from the wife for a drive to Portland Saturday night for a record show, especially since our flight is out of Seattle at 8 a.m Sunday. But the thought did cross my mind...

We'll take in a game -- probably Saturday night. Any other suggestions? Where do we go to dance in a non-velvetroped environment?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    J: who's yr wife and what is she presenting on for EMP. I put together a panel on liminal funk and disco groups on Sunday morn and I'm moderating the panel Greil Marcus is on sat morn.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Wife is presenting at the Health Journalism Conference -- not at EMP. What's this about the Greil Marcus panel Saturday morning?

Ah, ha. I just assumed it was for EMP. You can go to emplive.org and look for the conf page to read the abstracts. They'll be some killer papers but sitting in with a bunch of Uber-music nerds may not be what you had in mind.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    According to the schedule...you're moderating the Greil Marcus panel on Friday morning. I won't be in Seattle yet unfortunately. Looks like a good one.

We may try to catch some Friday afternoon panels -- what else are you doing in Seattle? DJing any place? Want to grab a cup of coffee -- i hear they sell that there...

• If the conference is at the EMP, one of my favorite coffee jernts is just a few blocks north of there on 5th Ave (just N of Mercer). It's called Cafe Vita and I think you'd be hard pressed to find better coffee in the city (tho I will say there are a few).

Just thought I'd drop the info in case you guys are interested.

If the conference is at the EMP, one of my favorite coffee jernts is just a few blocks north of there on 5th Ave (just N of Mercer). It's called Cafe Vita and I think you'd be hard pressed to find better coffee in the city (tho I will say there are a few).

They are not from Seattle. They will be satisfied with a cup of Farmers from the Doghouse or at the international food court.

I couldn't find the Doghouse when I was there, is it gone?

• Yeah, I suppose they prolly would be. But the way I see it, if they're around good coffee, that might as well take advantage of it.

What's the doghouse? I guess I'm not familiar?

• going to try to make it down for sat.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    If the conference is at the EMP, one of my favorite coffee jernts is just a few blocks north of there on 5th Ave (just N of Mercer). It's called Cafe Vita and I think you'd be hard pressed to find better coffee in the city (tho I will say there are a few).

They are not from Seattle. They will be satisfied with a cup of Farmers from the Doghouse or at the international food court.

I couldn't find the Doghouse when I was there, is it gone?

WOW! "The Doghouse" My grandfather used to drink there back in the day. The Doghouse closed years ago.

What's the doghouse? I guess I'm not familiar?

• What's the doghouse? I guess I'm not familiar?

Haha, yeah, that looks like it was far before my time. Thanks for the info tho, always enjoy hearing a bit of Seattle history.

7th and Bell today:
    Hurricane.
    (or is that gone now too?--fingers crossed LOL)

• ha, no, that's still there ready for anyone to stumble in at 4a. tho i prefer the mecca.

According to the schedule...you're moderating the Greil Marcus panel on Friday morning. I won't be in Seattle yet unfortunately. Looks like a good one..

Oops, yeah, you're right - Friday I meant. It should be a great panel - Robert Fink from UCLA is doing a paper on Marvin Gaye and masochism, which, if like any of Bob's previous papers, will be classic. He's one of those dudes that can convince even skeptics that musicology, as a discipline, has real worth. His paper on the evolution of James Brown's "Soul Power" is face-melting.

F*ck it, I'm down.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    but what else is recommended in the emerald city this weekend?

Go to the Scargo Hotel and reminisce on Jesse.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Waitin for the news to break. I've been waitin for the magic kiss.
    I been up all night lookin out at the city lights
    It's just a little bit of everything that brought me down to this.

Where's the most likely place to find Jesse's records in Seattle, though?

And are we meeting at Cafe Vita after the Rap Memes session, O?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Greil Marcus
    Oh shit. Tell him James from Chicago says "hey."

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Waitin for the news to break. I've been waitin for the magic kiss.
    I been up all night lookin out at the city lights
    It's just a little bit of everything that brought me down to this.

Where's the most likely place to find Jesse's records in Seattle, though?

Germany!

(Sub-Pop US didn't produce vinyl. The only LP release is on Sub Pop Germany.)

Though, if you've got a few hundred extra bucks (I know how you roll, bro!) and are interested in seeing where the "wine cellar" and crate digging metaphors truly overlap, you should fuck with a nice bottle of "Strip Poker."

YOU WERE SO BEAUTIFUL WHEN YOU WERE A CRIME/EVERYTHING IN YOUR LIFE HAS A COIN SLOT NOW

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Oops, yeah, you're right - Friday I meant. It should be a great panel - Robert Fink from UCLA is doing a paper on Marvin Gaye and masochism, which, if like any of Bob's previous papers, will be classic. He's one of those dudes that can convince even skeptics that musicology, as a discipline, has real worth. His paper on the evolution of James Brown's "Soul Power" is face-melting.

O, where are papers like these published? Are they published? This is the kind of academia I can get with.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

At the pike pub, about to go to the conference. Seattle rules!!!

first off: boom I told you! the weather cleared a few hours ago and it's green and blue everywhere...still a little chilly, but it'll be nice...

2nd:
    I work about a block from where that pic is on Airport Way, but your Hotel Scargo is in Belltown. Had me tripping.

3rd:
    April through August makes the rest of the year worth it up here...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Hit up Easy St. Records in Lower Queen Anne, it's by the Mecca that someone mentioned above.

Cosign on Cafe Vitta, try to find a Cafe Lladro too. They have several locations. (there's one in lower Queen Anne as well) From there you could walk to the fountain and park right under the space needle.

If you make it to Fremont, head to Jive Time records. There's probably the rummage sale on Sunday morning in Fremont too.

I'd love to show you around but I'm up in Bellingham currently. Have fun man, Seattle rules.

PM cpeetz btw

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Hit up Easy St. Records in Lower Queen Anne, it's by the Mecca that someone mentioned above.

Cosign on Cafe Vitta, try to find a Cafe Lladro too. They have several locations. (there's one in lower Queen Anne as well) From there you could walk to the fountain and park right under the space needle.

If you make it to Fremont, head to Jive Time records. There's probably the rummage sale on Sunday morning in Fremont too.

I'd love to show you around but I'm up in Bellingham currently. Have fun man, Seattle rules.

PM cpeetz btw

Good tips except for the PMing me part cause I'm headed to PDX for the Night Owl to
    make some dough and cop some good records. Hopefully the Oregonians have some
    money to spend, their economy is really in the crapper.
    12.1% Unemployment rate=

I wouldn't normally recommend Bop St. Records in Ballard, not because they don't
    have decent records but because they are a pain in the ass to deal with but....
    They got Downtown Freddy Browns collection recently and their are still some decent things left.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I went to no record stores, despite the pull of record store day. Instead, I indulged some shopping, cultural criticism, scoreless mariners, and beer. Not necessarily in that order.

Thanks for the tips all. Great to meet you Oliver.

It ain't trickin' if you got it.

Crank that Souljaboy.
    JRoot

J: Good to meet you, sorry we didn't have more time to hang out. And sorry you had to sit through that ridiculous paper.

RecordPeddler: Caffe Vita was the truth. Excellent drip coffee. Hit it up twice.

Verb: You should read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Listen-Again-Momentary-History-Experience/dp/0822340410

It compiles essays from previous EMP conferences and that particular edition has some really incredible (and relatively accessible) essays like Ned Sublette's discussion of the cha cha cha roots of "Louie Louie", Bob Fink writing about the history of the ORCH 5 synth chord (think "Planet Rock") and some other excellent examples of how to do pop music research right.

I don't believe Bob's published his Soul Power paper yet however. I'm assuming it might be in the pipeline at some journal somewhere though.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    That looks pretty excellent, O. I'll check that out.