Can we talk about Sonny Rollins?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Easily one of the greatest and thankfully still with us.It's a really tough call, but I'm gonna say this is my favorite record by him.But here's where my fanboy game is lame. Besides two or three Milestone LPs, I am not familiar with most of the last 30+ years of his output. Can you help me?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Got a chance to see him perform live back in the 90s, it was incredible.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I found a Sonny Rollins album in the weirdest flea market I've ever seen off of the interstate between Birmingham and Atlanta. Dudes selling rusted machine implements, other dudes selling guns, this lady studying for the bar exam and selling pirated rap cds, and a bunch of dudes selling confederate memorabilia. Place was freaky, and my man I**** was afraid they were going to put his jewish neck in the rope.

I can't really help you specifically on where to go elsewhere in Rollins' output, but in my limited experience, you can't go wrong.

(Unlike with, say, The Staple Singers, whose 1984 album "Turning Point" definitely turned the wrong way.)

Sonny,
    JRoot

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Alfie is an altime fave.

Incidently found a NM OG Microgroove Sonny Boy for peanuts recently. Seen it go for 100-300 USD recently ...

Keep it.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Got a chance to see him perform live back in the 90s, it was incredible.

I've seen him twice in the past ten yrs, sooo memorable... dude just swings, and he's still got the chops, clocking in at well over 2 hrs both times.

The Village Vanguard LP IS killer. As tie for first in my books is this one:

Probably one of the first jazz albums I ever bought. It's got some great Monk tunes.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Cleaned his pool but didn't get to meet him. Was bummed.
    A coworker said about the pool when asked how the water looked to my boss at the time: "Let's just put it this way: If Sonny takes a dip in the pool he'll disappear."

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Very few sax players have really understood Monk. Rouse (obviously), Coltrane and Lacy, but I always though Rollins fit best.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Am just giving those songs a listen, so good, you can tell they spent alot of time playing together.

Another nice one I just thought of: