CUT 'N' PASTE EDITS - which are the G.O.A.T.?

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
hey, any experts on cut 'n' paste lurking around on this forum? i'm trying to find out what the general consensus is on what are the GREATEST edits of all time. any info is appreciated (or if you can point me to another forum where there may be more people who can drop knowledge that would be cool too).didn't big daddy or grandslam or wax poetics (or all 3) do a big multi-part story on cut 'n' paste? i probbly just need to go through my magazines to find the answers i need. thanx!

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I think I will say double d and steinski's Lessons, right?

is that what a cut'n'paste is, in this sense? --the deejay 4 track cut'n'paste supermasterpieces or whatever? I am a sucker for that whole genre...

I HEARD QBERT'S DEMOLITION PUMPKIN SQUEEZE TAPE WAS A STRAIGHT BITE OF SOMEONE ELSE'S SPEAK ON IT

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    (or if you can point me to another forum where there may be more people who can drop knowledge that would be cool too).

Get Papawheelie on here to talk about Genesis era cut n paste

you guys sound old

what's cut'n'paste then?

(should've known I was going to be clueless, what with mention of Music Historian Magazines)

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I think I will say double d and steinski's Lessons, right?

is that what a cut'n'paste is, in this sense? --the deejay 4 track cut'n'paste supermasterpieces or whatever?

well, i guess whatever but i'm looking especially for examples of amazing slicing and dicing wizardry with a razor blade... reason is that i have an Omar Santana edit on an unreleased tune from back in the 80's that i think is pretty unf**kwitable but i'd like to see what else is out there that experts of the genre think are the best evar or whatever... i really don't know the cut 'n' paste stuff all that well

okay I will say the last minute editing scene in American Movie

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Hey, that's 3 useless poasts in a row. Way to go!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    You have mainstream stuff like "Pump Up The Volume", "Bass! (How Low Can You Go)", and something like "Adventures Of Grandmaster Flash On The Wheels Of Steel".

Coldcut's "Beats & Pieces" still holds up for me, or Original Concept's "Gotta Notta Funky Break 4-U----> Hit It". DJ Shadow's "Shadow's Legitimate Mix" originated from his love of tracks like that.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I don't know about the GOAT but those DJ Prince Ice edits from the Bay are really dope and slept on.

feel free to cut them and paste them AKA chop'n'flip! I won't even ask for royalties.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

feel free to cut them and paste them AKA chop'n'flip! I won't even ask for royalties.

okay I will

I think

I am a sucker

is that what a cut'n'paste is, in this sense?

if we start it out with scientist talking about chemistry or audio, I'm buying that sight unseen!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    the danny krivit of funky drummer aka the bonus beat on in the jungle groove. also, the edit of before i let go- i think that was mr k also.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i guess anything the latin rascals touched.

the danny krivit of funky drummer aka the bonus beat on in the jungle groove.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Omar Santana

I think that dude is doing gabber music now. Strange, but when you think about it, maybe not that strange.

If you like the Santana stuff, though, I highly recommend the All-Star Edits mix of Latin Rascals' "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood." It's Santana, Carlos Berrios, and maybe a couple other dudes. It's short-ish and maybe a little on the minimal side, but in a way that really just cooks all that shit down to crystal.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    I don't know about the GOAT but those DJ Prince Ice edits from the Bay are really dope and slept on.

Yes, Yes on the Prince Ice edits.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

Not sure about , but this is a very enjoayable cut'n'paste mix by two friends of mine.

• Latin Rascals are the GOAT to me. I've got dozens of old Latin Rascals radio shows that are mindblowing: three records chopped up with a razor blade and layered on top of each other, stuttering and whatnot. There's one with "It's Like That" layered with the Ghostbusters theme that goes so hard.

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    Agree about Latin Rascals - Albert Caberera is king..

But I guess we have to make a distinction - Most of what the Latin Rascals did were radio shows, and apart from that Big Apple Production they did, they didn't put any other 'cut-ups' on wax (But did do a stack of amazing freestyle tracks / remixes..

But is this thread about strictly cut-up tracks?

If so - Then those Big Apple Productions are upthere with Double D & Steinski's lessons - but I think you also gotta put Coldcut's "Say Kids.." on that same level, although heavily inspired by "Lessons" it remained a real importanat record..

for me it's those 3 names

Honorable mentions:
    - Cut Chemists remix of Hiroshi & Judo's "Return Of The Original Artform" (that mowax / major force joint)
    - GMF's "Adventures on the wheels.."

of course there is still a whole gang of awesome cut-ups, that are incredible but I woudln't consider GOAT

Those dope z-rock mixes, New York Scratch Masters etc..
    even some of the more recent ones from K delight in the UK / DJ Format / Delic (japan), Herbalisers "Wall crawling insect breaks" - on and on.........
    ..I still ride for all this shit

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Not sure about , but this is a very enjoayable cut'n'paste mix by two friends of mine.

hey... very nice mixes, i like these a lot. thanx! not what i was looking for, unfortunately. i think the term i really need to be using is "multi-edits"... the ones where you have the stuttering beats and chopping stuff up to the point that whole new beats are being made just by using the razor blade and tape to slice it up and reconstruct schitt. For an example, the stuff that the Latin Rascals did at the 1:58 mark on this Mantronix edit-

Those are nice edits, but the stuff the LRs do on this joint are tame in comparison to the edits Omar Santana did on our song back in '85. So I know there are some other examples of cut 'n' paste guys going the f**k OFF... i just don't know what they are. if anybody knows of anything else along these lines plaese clue me in. as always, your input is appreciated

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Check Out Omar's craziness at 1:30

• minimini 879 Posts

• minimini 879 Posts
    Coldcut remix of Eric B & Rakim??s Paid In Full is also good one.

• minimini 879 Posts

• didn't big daddy or grandslam or wax poetics (or all 3) do a big multi-part story on cut 'n' paste? i probbly just need to go through my magazines to find the answers i need. thanx!

The History Of Cut 'N' Paste was covered over 3 issues. Issue 11 + 12 of Big Daddy and issue 1 of Grandslam.

I could give a huge list of my favourite cut 'n' paste tracks but you're obviously after specific tracks with the stuttering edit so I'll not bother other than saying The Latin Rascals, Omar Santana, Chep Nunez and Mantronik were the masters of this.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Latin Rascals are the GOAT to me.
    Ditto. And those dudes touched everything:

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    anyone got some of those delic mixes or tracks ?

i'm curious...

• As far as cut and paste style mixes go, "Musical Mixchief" by B.Cause and Spair is one of my all-time faves. Just so good.