Donovan or Dylan?

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
Okay, I know everyone in the world is gonna say they like Dylan more. Just wanted to see if anyone else throws on Donovan's albums more often? I can only take Dylan in small doses, his voice is a little grating to me. I don't think I've ever seen any mention of Donovan on soulstrut ever. And yes, I know that Dylan is more important in the grand scheme of rock history, so spare me. I'm talking strictly music wise here, bring the hate haha.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Strictly music wise, you are a tool

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i own every donovan lp. i really like "BLONDE ON BLONDE" and "BLOOD ON THE TRACKS", but every dylan song sounds the same to me. some donovan songs make me cry.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I'm not really into that brand of folk. But, Donovan does have his moments. Plus, i saw him recently on TV and he's still the same space hippie he's always been. So at least he's keeping it real. Dylan's just a crazy burnout. Still, can't front on his stuff either. Personally I wouldn't vote for either of them, or buy any of their LP's. Falls into the "Already heard too much of them" category.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    what's up with that "deal" we were talking about?

• awallawall 673 Posts
    dylan slays donovan. haven't you seen Don't Look Back?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    go find another thread cornball. I'm trying to hear peoples input bout music here.

• wow just fucking wow

go watch 'don't look back'

then look back at this thread

and tell me you don't feel like a complete fucking loser

I knew this thread would bring out the NY losers, bwahahaha!

• nah dog what it brings out is that you don't know shit about music

go find another thread cornball. I'm trying to hear peoples input bout music here.

That WAS my input about music.... the words of a tool fo sho

What part of "strictly music wise" did you not understand?

Dude

Donovan? Dylan?

Donovan

Dylan

Donovan

Dylan

I'm saying dude. I mean, is this like a "I'm really into breakbeats, but sometimes I like rock" thing? Because that's cool, if it is... just trying to understand where anyone claiming Donovan over Dylan is coming from

Still waiting for that picture, hot tits...

Okay, I know everyone in the world is gonna say they like Dylan more. Just wanted to see if anyone else throws on Donovan's albums more often? I can only take Dylan in small doses, his voice is a little grating to me. I don't think I've ever seen any mention of Donovan on soulstrut ever. And yes, I know that Dylan is more important in the grand scheme of rock history, so spare me. I'm talking strictly music wise here, bring the hate haha.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    there is no dylan iquivalent to The Intergalactic Laxative.

The answer is NO, only you throw on Donovan more often

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

I throw on Donovan more.

I throw on Donovan more.

FAG

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I throw Donovan covers of Bob Dylan songs on more.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I throw on Donovan more.

FAG

ummm - me too. and i guess if you want to get technical, i am pretty gay.

i choose donovan over dylan. i like dylan's writing but as soon as he starts singing - i'm outta there.

What covers do you throw on, out of curiousity Adam?

You need to reconnect with your inner white man.

I throw on Donovan more.

FAG

ummm - me too. and i guess if you want to get technical, i am pretty gay.

i choose donovan over dylan. i like dylan's writing but as soon as he starts singing - i'm outta there.

I'm just joking with David. I knew when I typed the first post that he throws on Donovan more than Dylan - hell, he throws on Donovan more than almost anything!

Seriously, though, Dylan by a city block and a country mile.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I listen to Donovan more as well. I actually can't listen to a whole one of Dylan's early albums. I really dig him once he started going electronic. I think the reason is I never listened to Dylan when I was younger and then in college I always had roomates who were obsessed with him, so I was like whatever. I'm not saying there aren't early Dylan songs that really move me, but I listen to Donovan more. Aw fuck it. I don't listen to either that frequently anyway.

side note: I once boxed Bob Dylan. I used to box when I was much younger and Bob started coming to the club. He wanted to spar with someone that wasn't gonna kick his ass and that was me. He held his own and was a cool dude.

Okay JP, I can tell you don't dig Donovan that much and I can respect that.

How bout Van Morrison or Bob Dylan?

Sorry no pics of me as I am at work still.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    What covers do you throw on, out of curiousity Adam?

my absolute favorite cover is "Don't Think Twice It's Alright" by Nick Drake, it was made on a 4-track and came along with some other demos about 3 or 4 years ago. Well worth grabbing

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

but what would we talk about?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Yea, cuz Johnny connects with his inner asshole everyday. So the rest of us should get with it.

You could tell him to "man up and hit you on the PM" and then he could hit you

Or, you could discuss what you like most about Hair: he could say, the concept and rebellion against "the man" and you could say Galt McDermot "Ripped Open By Metal Explosions"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

You could tell him to "man up and hit you on the PM" and then he could hit you

my inner white man is rather obese and more feminine than my outer Jew. it would end up just being a slap fight with lots of high pitched screams

Or, you could discuss what you like most about Hair: he could say, the concept and rebellion against "the man" and you could say Galt McDermot "Ripped Open By Metal Explosions"

My inner White man is an Oasis fan

• You need to reconnect with your inner white man.

Yea, cuz Johnny connects with his inner asshole everyday. So the reast of us should get with it.

seems like you would be pretty interested in connecting with jonny's inner asshole yourself there, holmes.

Yea, cuz Johnny connects with his inner asshole everyday. So the reast of us should get with it.

Hey short bus, who are you? You came on this site and never really introduced yourself. 1000s of posts later, all I know about you is that some office flirt dumped you for the guy a few cubicles down

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Phil Oches