WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE: MOVIE FACEMELT

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Looks dope. Spike Jonze + Dave Eggers + Arcade Fire OST = http://www.wtwta.com/

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Why?

I'd rather see them do an original movie with Maurice Sendak doing the set and costume designs.

• October is too far away.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    mmmmmmm, yes!!
    was filmed in here.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    "The audio mix is way too loud."

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm looking forward to this.

It will bring me back to my early childhood probably better than any book.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Could be interesting. I just hope they don't f it up by tinkering with the plot line.

I wonder if that Max kid is as bad in the movie as he was in the book.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    RAD.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    this just brought me back to the little circle on the 3rd grade library floor

memories

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Spike fought Sony HARD on this one, trying to keep it real. any fluffification this film may include is entirely Sonys fault. He said he was going to get his way in the end, but that was almost a year ago, so i hope he got his way...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Could be interesting. I just hope they don't f it up by tinkering with the plot line.

I wonder if that Max kid is as bad in the movie as he was in the book.

yes he most defiantly is. (love spell check)

i have been following this like a salivating fanboy for a long while now.

google spikes name and the movie name.

there is a f*cking fantastic interview here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39145

obviously this was before the studio tried to kick Spike off the poroject.

i am very happy to see this finally make it as i think that Spikes vision for this book is perfect.

i read it to my 3 1/2 year old son every night and i watch his face run through so many emotions. this book truly is magic and the last thing we all want to see is another f*cking jim carry/mike myers butchering of a piece of our childhood.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

i read it to my 3 1/2 year old son every night

I do this on the regular too. Here's my question: on the two or three double page spreads in the middle, sans words, what do you and the lad do?

You can't just look at the pictures....

THE RUMPUS!

well, sometimes i just describe the pages, but mostly we sing, yell, dance and generally partake in the rumpus ourselves.

oh, and: WANT:

• Why?

I'd rather see them do an original movie with Maurice Sendak doing the set and costume designs.

Seriously...

How the f*ck can you make a feature length movie out of a childrens book with about a dozen short paragraphs of text without messing around with the plot (i.e. adding a bunch of crap)???

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    "The audio mix is way too loud."

Um dude, get over it.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    The only love interest I could countenance in this movie would be some Max / Wild Thing action.

Particularly if it was the Wild Thing with human feet.

That would be HOT

The only love interest I could countenance in this movie would be some Max / Wild Thing action.

Particularly if it was the Wild Thing with human feet.

That would be HOT

• My flatmate is working on this - apparently it's been through a heap of problems to get it this far.

My flatmate is working on this - apparently it's been through a heap of problems to get it this far.

cool. what is his/her role?

basically according to the studio, the test audiences freaked out at the dark tone of the thing, the kid was not likeable and the were trying to knock Spike off the whole project.

translate this to a bunch of suits expecting a formulaic disneyfied clichefest. (think cat in the f*cking hat or the grinch movies: complete butcherings of great books) and the kid is naughty in the film, he is not a particularly likeable character in the book: he is a naughty boy. kids love it.

i am seriously geeked to see this.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Strangely this book has passed me and #1 son by completely. I've just done the needful on Amazon. Hopefully it'll live up to the hype.

Personally though, I can't see it knocking The Gruffalo off the top spot.

OWL ICE-CREAM, FOLLS.

• That deck is the shit. Who's deck is it..or is it just some collector shit?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Well, Spike owns Gril/Chocolate, so it wouldn't be a surprise if it's through them somehow.

Funky16, I would guess that it's more about capturing the spirit of the movie, and using the same characters/aesthetic, which from the trailer looked pretty spot on.

The "I don't fit in" thread dovetails nicely into this.

hopefully the merchandising will be cool: i want to get my son some cool pajamas like Max's ones.

i found that board image just doing a 'wild things rumpus' search.

• My flatmate is working on this - apparently it's been through a heap of problems to get it this far.

cool. what is his/her role?

basically according to the studio, the test audiences freaked out at the dark tone of the thing, the kid was not likeable and the were trying to knock Spike off the whole project.

translate this to a bunch of suits expecting a formulaic disneyfied clichefest. (think cat in the f*cking hat or the grinch movies: complete butcherings of great books) and the kid is naughty in the film, he is not a particularly likeable character in the book: he is a naughty boy. kids love it.

i am seriously geeked to see this.

He's an animator so as far as I know he's involved in character design. It looks like it'l be great, the books were so cool when I was growing up.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I seriously wish my kid was a few years older right now. Although I will be taking my stepson to see this for SURE and buying the DVD for when my kid is a little older.

• Just saw this on the movies wiki page:

Score by Karen O and Carter Burwell

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Trailer looks amazing.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    OMFG

This trailer brought tears to my eyes. I'm counting on you Spike!

I saw Maurice Sendak has production credits. That's a good sign. No?

• Spike fought Sony HARD on this one, trying to keep it real. any fluffification this film may include is entirely Sonys fault. He said he was going to get his way in the end, but that was almost a year ago, so i hope he got his way...

I think it was originally set to be a Universal release and now is in the hands of Warner Bros.

• OMFG

This trailer brought tears to my eyes. I'm counting on you Spike!

I saw Maurice Sendak has production credits. That's a good sign. No?

I dunno man. I look at the list of creative types involved in this movie and I get the douche chills...