I regret hating Rod Stewart

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I seriously hate(d) that guy. When those Songbook shits came out I began to despise him. I just can't explain it. Seems like all of you hate some artist for no good reason. We are all entitled to that.So people have always said, "just give the early stuff a try and you'll see...and X 100I guess that means I'm ready for this?Yeah. I know. I really hated him THAT much. But I'm over it now.What else is good?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    PS--I know those records are not really about Rod Stewart, but I hated him so much I was unable to appreciate. I got past that and I may be ready for--sigh--one of his solo records.

Also I'm such a huge Small Faces fan. I had always been disinterested in the post Marriot version especially considering Rod. Even though Humble Pie kinda sucks. But it seems a little like comparing Lindsey Buckingham to Peter Green.

• I swear by 'Truth' and this is a good one too...

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Nothing else is good.

It's like Steve Winwood. The Spencer Davis Group jams are pretty good, but literally...EVERYTHING ELSE blows. Traffic? My god it hurts my ears.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I definitely don't hate him w/the intensity I did when I was younger (I grew hearing his tepid hit versions of oldies and the adult-contempo schitt too).

I've been a fan of the records FB posted up for years, but I recently tried listening to a couple of his early LPs and they STILL pissed me off (sorry, Marco).

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Nothing else is good.

It's like Steve Winwood. The Spencer Davis Group jams are pretty good, but literally...EVERYTHING ELSE blows. Traffic? My god it hurts my ears.

Traffic? So good!

Rod Stewart sucks but the early stuff is good stuff not because of him but because of people like Ronnie Wood.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    You're both wrong: Traffic and SD Group are both mad uneven, I can't fully endorse either.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Nothing else is good.

Traffic? So good!

Rod Stewart sucks but the early stuff is good stuff not because of him but because of people like Ronnie Wood.

The Faces stuff is great because it's such a f*cking great BAND with a great SINGER (at that stage, anyway), who also knew how to be an entertaining frontman. While I have always enjoyed Rod Stewart's early stuff and the Faces especially, I can understand the hate....he can be a pretty annoying presence.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    the early stuff is good stuff not because of him but because of people like Ronnie Wood.

Check the writing credits on the songs and you'll see that most of them (especially the good ones like Stay With Me) are credited to Wood/Stewart.

The last good song he made was Hot Legs. Then he fell into disco and finally AOR/MOR tripe.
    Oh, and 'Stay With Me' is my funeral song.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    "They catch a cab to his high rise apartment
    At last he can tell her exactly what his heart meant"

RIGHT THERE.

It's very true that Traffic records are uneven. Mr. Fantasy and S/T have some great songs though. At some point, they became a Winwood back up band. And those records are more even. But you have to obviously like Winwood. I think John Barleycorn Must Die is a great record. Empty Pages is my jam.

Great f*cking drums. And Wood's guitar sound is perfect.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    One of his whore ex-wife's used to go to my school. When i was around 17, they used to hit our local beach. Rod would wear a leopardskin speedo. (thong, posing pouch). his hair was, as ever: Formidable.

My friends and i used to smoke weed and then yell "WE THINK YOU'RE SEXY ROD" non-stop at them.

She would scream at us to <kiwi accent> LOIVE HEM ALOINE!</kiwi accent>.

Dudes a twerp.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    She would scream at us to LOIVE HEM ALOINE!.

I remember hearing as a kid that he had a gallon of sperm pumped out of his stomach.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Rod Stewart?

As far as his solo records, stick with the Mercury sides and you'll be fine.

The last good song he made was Hot Legs. Then he fell into disco and finally AOR/MOR tripe.

In my opinion, he was already well into MOR tripe by the time "Hot Legs" came along. That song was an EXCEPTION, not a rule.

As far as AOR...well, he sorta disappeared from that radio format during the "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" years. Well, the Mercury stuff like "Maggie May" may have stayed in rotation, but they weren't playing his later things as much.

(Hate to revive an old argument, but AOR means Album-Oriented Rock. NOT the more ghetto-sounding Adult-Oriented Rock that you cats came up with. This is fact, not speculation. If Anthony Pearson is reading this and disagreeing...hey, I love ya, man, but I know what I know!)

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I remember hearing as a kid that he had a gallon of sperm pumped out of his stomach.

Wasn't it specifically Bowie and Ronson's man juice?
    I think that's the story/classic rock urban legend I heard.
    I ride for all the Faces lp's, and the 1st 3 solo joints.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Lots of reasons to hate Rod Stewart.
    Faces and Truth are not among them.

Doesn't he marry a teenage girl every few years?
    Maybe I have him confused with some other old Brit.

Anyway, those Standards records are good reason to hate.
    Of all the Standards collections made by aging pop stars in the last few years, his are the worst I have heard.
    He's come right out and said he doesn't know or like the music and recorded it because some record exec suggested it.

It's very true that Traffic records are uneven. Mr. Fantasy and S/T have some great songs though. At some point, they became a Winwood back up band. And those records are more even. But you have to obviously like Winwood. I think John Barleycorn Must Die is a great record. Empty Pages is my jam.

When it comes to Traffic, I tend to stick with the earlier, more psychy stuff, as heard on Mr. Fantasy, Last Exit and Traffic. As soon as they started adding more members, their sound got more percussion-y and jam-bandish, and that's when they lose me.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Doesn't he not[/b] marry a teenage girl every few years?
    Maybe I have him confused with some other old Brit.

LOL

If you're all gonna hate an old Brit rock douche, hate this one

LAME OLD SCRAGGY NECKED SOFA LIPS BIG ASS BAGGY ELBOW FUKKK

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

BAGGY ELBOW FUKKK

I think you mean "wenis"

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    traffic rel-

LOW SPARK OF HIGH HEELED BOYS gets no love???

whatever, i think that album is magic, magic, magic.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    His musical heritage is pretty unfuckwitable. I was just reading this yesterday (bored at work related).

From Wikipedia:
    "In the spring of 1962, he helped to found The Ray Davies Quartet, later known as the successful British band The Kinks, as their lead singer. He performed with the group on at least one occasion, but was soon dropped due to complaints about his voice from then-drummer John Start's mother as well as musical and personality differences with the rest of the band. This has been denied by both Ray and Dave Davies; however he did play on a football team with Ray at that time.
    After returning to London he also joined Jimmy Powell & the Five Dimensions in 1964 as a vocalist and harmonica player. Together they recorded a single for Pye Records. Long John Baldry discovered him drunk and busking for his train fare and invited him to join The Hoochie Coochie Men which recorded a single "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl", which failed to enter the charts. The Hoochie Coochie Men evolved into Steampacket featuring Stewart, Baldry, Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger, Mickey Waller and Rick Brown. Steampacket toured with the Rolling Stones and the Walker Brothers on tour in the summer of 1965. They also recorded tracks that weren't released as an album until 1970, after Stewart had become well known in musical circles. Stewart earned the nickname "Rod the Mod" during that period, as a result of his appearance in a 1965 BBC documentary on the mod subculture. Steampacket broke up in early 1966 with Stewart joining Shotgun Express as lead vocalist with Beryl Marsden. Amongst the members of Shotgun Express were Mick Fleetwood and Peter Green (who would go on to form Fleetwood Mac), and Peter Bardens. Shotgun Express released one single before disbanding. There is evidence of recordings of two Mike d'Abo songs 'Little Miss Understood' and 'So Much to Say, (So Little Time)' from The Immediate Singles Collection (1985; CCSCD 102), a compilation of Immediate Record's hits."

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    He paid all Ronnie Lane's medical bills for years, so he's alright by me.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

And I bet he could out-football most anyone on this board, even at his advanced age (maybe excepting Iron Monkey!).

traffic rel-

only song on there i like is "rock & roll stew"

• traffic rel-

The title track was a cornerstone of my teenage stoner years...

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    "Freedom Rider"

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

And I bet he could out-football most anyone on this board, even at his advanced age (maybe excepting Iron Monkey!).

I'd whip his f*cking arse

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Hating Traffic is like hating sunshine.
    Yeah it gets in your eyes sometimes, but it helps the crops grow and warms you so shut the fusk up.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts