IPOD Redux: Classic vs Touch

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
relatedSo I need to get a new Ipod, as my last one kicked the bucket a few months ago and I was already past the warranty.Apple advertising would suggest that next in line for me should be the Touch, but I don't know that many people who use the Touch as opposed to the Ipod Classic. Most people seem to jump directly to the iphone (which i am not really in the market for at this time). Also, per the Apple website, both Classic & Touch seem to be going for similar prices, so even that isn't as much of a deciding factor. I think I am just looking for the 'best' music playing device.Can anyone claim allegiance to the Touch over the Classic? I am not a hard core 15K song type of person, so I don't really need the 120gb the classic offers. But as I'll be using the Ipod at the gym and what not, i am not sure if the Touch is something that needs coddling, or if it can take the occasional bump.I've also hear that the Touch can be revamped to hold many of similar apps like the Iphone has. That is appealing to me. Anyone know if that is a legitimate claim.Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    The touch will be better for the gym as it doesn't have any moving parts so it can take a bit of motion, unlike the classic which has a small hard drive inside.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    as a owner of both, allow me to input my .02.

if you just want a sole mp3...and occasional movie player, grab the classic. you can fit a good sizable amount of your collection and enjoy the freedom of choosing what you want, when you want.

if you're looking for entertainment, grab the touch. it's definitely starting to get marketed as a gaming device, but it offers limited space. you are able to run most of the iphone's apps. the only ones you're unable to load are the ones that use the iphone microphone.

both ipods are durable, but since the touch is made of flash memory you dont have to really worry about hard drops unless you crack the lcd. you run the risk a tad bit more with the classic since it still has moving hard drive parts. imo, it's a negligible issue.

the main issue i have w/ the touch is not really an issue w/ the touch itself...but an issue with finding a decent wi-fi spot.

a not so important problem for me is the browser itself. though i have to make the disclaimer that the browser in the touch is the best out of any mobile web device (at least, light years better than the ds browser, mini opera and blackberry browser). it's just not as fast as i would like it. the browser doesn't have flash which is also a pet peeve, though i have heard that adobe is in the works with apple.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I'd say go for the touch, I really beat the shit out of mine and it kept ticking for quite a while, until it broke in the exact same place as every mp3 player I've ever owned, the headphone jack (does this happen to anyone else?) I dented the shit out the back, scratched the screen, thing was kinda unstoppable.

The touch/iphone interface is great, and being able to grab apps and surf the web is nice too. Also, besides physical damage, flash memory in the touch should last longer than the traditional HD in the classic. If the price is right, the touch is prob a better bet...

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    Ebay on Ipod touch is really good if a little too convenient.

I used to have a classic & I prefer the touch.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    120gb classic vs 8gb touch?

Is this a question? Also the harddrive failure? Pretty damn rare, always going to kill the battery, headphone jack or screen first.

Touch is only cool for posting to the strut and pretending like you have an iPhone.

120gb classic vs 8gb touch?

Is this a question? Also the harddrive failure? Pretty damn rare, always going to kill the battery, headphone jack or screen first.

Touch is only cool for posting to the strut and pretending like you have an iPhone.

I've had a hard drive iPod fail on me with disk problems, I've also had two other portable hard drives (basically the same thing) fail on me in the last 12 months. And no, I don't throw them around, these are all from usage you could reasonably expect.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Portable harddrives and iPods are not the same thing.
    iPods have a bit more quality control.

Yes it CAN happen.
    But I am betting my 20gb 1gen iPod from 2000 that something else will fail first.

It is just so much more storage for the same price. That is all I am saying.

Sansdisks and solid state memory dies too. Usually the solder is jostled from the circuit board during falls/pressure.

It has happened to me, but it was not a touch. So I won't include it in a comparison.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I was in the market over the holidays and settled on the classic. I wanted to use some apps cause I don't have an iphone but I need more than 8g of space. And the bigger itouch was more expensive than the classic, which still eclipsed it in storage capacity.

At the end of the day I don't need a new gadget, I just want my ipod to play music. So that's why I went with the classic.

Portable harddrives and iPods are not the same thing.
    iPods have a bit more quality control.

Not really. Apple doesn't make the hard drives, they are made by the same people who make the portable hard drives. The classic is really just a portable hard drive in a fancy case.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I'm on my third ipod (ice grill).. I would go with the classic because I like the space. You sound like an itouch kinda guy. You don't need all the gigs. game over.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    until it broke in the exact same place as every mp3 player I've ever owned, the headphone jack (does this happen to anyone else?)

YES.

there's a spot on my block that'll fix headphone jacks, tho. not cheap, but well worth it relative to the cost of getting a new ipod and the countless hours lost uploading tunes onto a new one -- not to mention that repairing an old one delays yet another piece of electronics ending up in a landfill.

FWIW around the holidays you could get refurbished 160gb for less than a new 120, maybe this deal's still around. I'm into maximum storage capacity so I went for this, especially as they've discontinued the 160 for reasons I don't quite get.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I stay strapped with an 8G touch and a 80G classic at all times.

My vote is to eventually cop both.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you just want to be able to listen to thousands of songs at all times = classic.

If you like the idea of having an mp3player that will also; connect to the internet, watch utubes, check/send emails, synch with your diary/contacts, have a full map and pretty much do everything the Iphone will, but phone & photography, then = Touch

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    word. thanks for all the info.

i think i am leaning towards the touch. 16gb looks to be running about $50 more than the 120gb classic. but unlike the rest of you big dudes, my mp3 collection remains pretty manageable, so i don't think i will need they extra 27,000 songs that the classic can handle.

and while i am hardly a tech savy gamer, it'd be nice to have access to some of the other functions the touch provides.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You can also use vv this vv on a touch

(this video is for display purposes only, purely to demonstrate the app.)

I seem to remember Day rocking a simpler version some time ago, but couldn't find it on youtube, and there don't appear to be any good videos of this one in use, online. But its a good app. and a much better time killer than tower-defense or solitaire.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I got for the Touch, but I'd honestly be happy with either.

I've gone through 4 Classic iPods and was ready for something different.

I love having the wireless on there, the browser can be slow, but it is the best one out there and who cares---its portable, its not like its your main internet machine and gets the job done for that.

I use the calculator, iPhoto, Remote (can control your iTunes on your computer), synced my e-mail to it, Currency Converter, Weather Channel, and many of the news feeds. There are some cool games on there too if thats your thing.

I've got a 16 GB iPod Touch and its enough for me. I really don't need an entire library in my pocket like I used to.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I stopped using my iPod after I got a cell phone with a decent MP3 player. I always hated carrying a cell phone and an iPod so I was happy to be done with that. I guess if you're rocking a bag or something it's okay but otherwise it's too much shit to carry.

• Options
    You can also use vv this vv on a touch

(this video is for display purposes only, purely to demonstrate the app.)

I seem to remember Day rocking a simpler version some time ago, but couldn't find it on youtube, and there don't appear to be any good videos of this one in use, online. But its a good app. and a much better time killer than tower-defense or solitaire.

Yeah, this is dope. I got this a few months back and it's one of the best apps ever.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I have both a classic 30gb video ipod and a 32gb ipod touch. Like Jonny says, depends on what features are the most important to you. for well rounded function and entertainment the ipod touch is so necessary. but don't cop if you plan to get an iphone eventually. i don't really have any plans on getting one because i love my sony ericsson's camera which is so much better than the iphone's camera and i do like to document on the run often and prefer better picture quality for spontaneous capturing of memories. i also am an addict when it comes to picture mms and i can't do that with an iphone.

For Music-
    If you don't really need wifi and it's mainly the music storage you want, then the classic is the much much better value. It took me a long time to fill up my 30gb and I get lost trying to navigate all the stuff i have in there. 120gb seems like too much scrolling/navigating/patience for me if i don't really have an idea what i want to listen to specifically. If you have the extra $ to spend, spring for the 32gb ipod touch and you can get the best of both worlds.

For Movies/Tv Shows/Video-
    Honestly, I never watch movies i have on both ipods because the screen is too tiny and it's uncomfortable for your neck and arms to sit through a whole feature unless you prop it up against something. I think unless you buy the accessories that allow you to plug into the a/v inputs of the TV, the novelty of having a portable video library at your finger tips gets old quick. My composite AV cable for my classic ipod will not work with my ipod touch and it's not a feature important enough to me to fork over $49 to apple for the one that does. If it's just youtube vids you want to be able to check, then the ipod touch is really good for that. but it's been said here before, there's no flash on the browser to watch any other kind of streaming video and i wish there was for vimeo, or at least a vimeo app similiar to youtube.

Wifi/Internet -
    It took me a while to get used to the touch screen at first, but now that I am, i'm really happy with going with the touch because the wifi has been especially useful in a number of situations. I have plans to travel a lot this year, and this thing will be great backup as a pocket pc when I need to read email and be able to research things to do without having to make time for internet cafes or dealing with the hassle of lugging around/checking-in a much heavier & valuable (information & cost wise) laptop.

Apps-
    There are plenty of really useful apps out there. As first I thought it was just silliness, but I lost a noticeable amount of excess weight since i installed Lose It app, not only for forcing me to recognize bad eating/drinking habits but because it encourages me to exercise more just so i could indulge when i want to. There are also a number of handy transit maps/schedule apps on there that i use a lot (such as BART) and i really need that for this upcoming euro trip because there are plenty of user friendly interactive schedule/map apps for the London, Paris and BCN Tube systems so I don't have to deal with paper maps and looking like an easy fanny pack mark. I use the Open Table app a lot for making restaurant reservations and the yelp app and facebook app are pretty good for rudimentary use.

so that said, i love my ipod touch. i turned my old ipod classic into a portable video karaoke library but that seems like such a waste of resource considering how often i use it (zero) so i plan on giving it to my sister who is still rocking the 1st generation

hope that helps

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I've had a 40gb ipod for years now and never had a problem. Maybe I am lucky. I don't know what generation it is, but it was $499 when it came out. Seems ridiculous now. No video, black and white screen. It's basically like looking at an atari compared to today's ipods.

Every time I see an iphone ad I feel the need to get one. I feel like I am missing out.

• dextahdextah 77 Posts
    i wish there was for vimeo, or at least a vimeo app similiar to youtube.

http://iphoneapp.episodic.com/login

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I've had a 40gb ipod for years now and never had a problem. Maybe I am lucky. I don't know what generation it is, but it was $499 when it came out. Seems ridiculous now. No video, black and white screen. It's basically like looking at an atari compared to today's ipods.

Every time I see an iphone ad I feel the need to get one. I feel like I am missing out.

The thing holding me back is from getting an iPhone is the phone/internet bill/month. I can't swing it.

But the Touch has really came in handy in certain situations. Its nice that the Touch has that built in speaker now, good for watching youtube w/friends and things like that or to play someone a song real quick.

I never have been able to watch a movie on my iPod or Touch.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    After having a touch for a few months after not having an ipod since they FIRST DROPPED back in the day, I could not imagine using anything else + the apps to help me out at uni learning japanese are truly next level. Listening to compton's most wanted on the bus while learning hirigana is next level.