KUTIMAN remixing youtube (!!!!!)

meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
http://thru-you.com/Latepass?This shit is nuts. Basically, Kutiman samples / cuts up many many youtube videos and makes 7 very dope tracks out of them. You kind of have to see it to believe it. TRUST.http://thru-you.com/

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    There's another thread that (in my opinion) is waaaay too short for something this incredible.

• Bare with me dudes, okay technically it's nothing short of brilliant. I mean I'm not sure who would even think of this and be able to execute it so damn well. I can see this really being a runaway hit

But personally, I'm not really blown away by the tracks with the exception of I'm a Lady and the talk box joint. It just doesn't hit me.

Bare with me dudes

It's scary how easy you make this.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Yeah, it's a cool idea but most of it doesn't hold up musically, which is what matters. He's no Josh.

• Options
    There's another thread that (in my opinion) is waaaay too short for something this incredible.

It's absolutely brilliant what Kutiman has done.

Yeah, it's a cool idea but most of it doesn't hold up musically, which is what matters. He's no Josh.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

I think its the project as a whole that matters. So yeah, maybe if he released an album with those beats it would fall under tepidity but he didn't.
    Its a whole video/art/music project that falls under facemelt IMO.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah I mean, to me it's not really about the music specifically. I don't really care if the "songs" hold up, for that I will listen to people who are just focused on making music. This is different, and IMO it's pretty incredible.

These comments are like the musical/youtube/pastiche version of "not feeling her elbows" right??

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Yeah I mean, to me it's not really about the music specifically. I don't really care if the "songs" hold up, for that I will listen to people who are just focused on making music. This is different, and IMO it's pretty incredible.

These comments are like the musical/youtube/pastiche version of "not feeling her elbows" right??

Yea those comments do fall under that category. People always want a reason to hate on something, so they will find any way to do so. Kutiman is executing a concept and an idea , he is not releasing these tracks for you to play out in the club (or is it clurb?). Bottom line , this is some editing and blending!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you go to the youtube versions, they have links to some of the original 'samples'. pretty interesting, and not in a taketheshittothebreaks.com way, but you can really see the effort he's gone to and what a good job he's done.

• Yeah I mean, to me it's not really about the music specifically. I don't really care if the "songs" hold up, for that I will listen to people who are just focused on making music. This is different, and IMO it's pretty incredible.

Yea those comments do fall under that category. People always want a reason to hate on something, so they will find any way to do so. Kutiman is executing a concept and an idea , he is not releasing these tracks for you to play out in the club (or is it clurb?). Bottom line , this is some editing and blending!
    But if this "Kutiman" person is a musician, the actual music should be of quality rather than his video editing skills, right? Would anyone here actually listen to this in their car or headphones without watching the video clips? Doubt it.

I would. Specifically the talkbox one and "I'm New."

Yeah but the point is TO watch it WITH the video clips.

Jesus.

• Yeah I mean, to me it's not really about the music specifically. I don't really care if the "songs" hold up, for that I will listen to people who are just focused on making music. This is different, and IMO it's pretty incredible.

But if this "Kutiman" person is a musician, the actual music should be of quality rather than his video editing skills, right? Would anyone here actually listen to this in their car or headphones without watching the video clips? Doubt it.

uh, no. The videos would be pretty boring without the concept attached to them too. I really don't think you can deconstruct it like that - you wouldn't watch the video on mute, would you?

regardless, some of the music is pretty damn good, I think.

And Kutiman is a ridiculous musician. he played almost everything on his LP>>>
    http://www.discogs.com/Kutiman-Kutiman/release/1230956

• Danger Mouse The Grey Album, discuss.

• Danger Mouse The Grey Album, discuss.

ha. was just going to post something to this effect.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    SERIOUSLY. If you don't like this get da f*ck out of this thread or come up with something better. Otherwise shut da hell up.
    I'm fed up of all this BS from people who aren't doing anything. Quit nitpicking every little detail.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I still haven't managed to check this out!

Due to overwhelming traffic we had to go down to re-charge (again). Working on it. Check back later.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I still haven't managed to check this out!

Due to overwhelming traffic we had to go down to re-charge (again). Working on it. Check back later.

dude, all the videos are now on youtube itself.

links to all can be found in the other thread - http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1280725&an=0&page=1#Post1280725

Man this shit and Teh Grey Album are two totally different beasts.

Patrick you're showing your care bear panties.

• Patrick you're showing your care bear panties.

SERIOUSLY. If you don't like this get da f*ck out of this thread or come up with something better. Otherwise shut da hell up.
    I'm fed up of all this BS from people who aren't doing anything. Quit nitpicking every little detail.

Read-up on your read-ups, ladies.

OST:

So just because someone isn't "coming with something better" they aren't allowed to critique? I guess that pretty much ether's almost every critic ever.

Dudes are too caught up on the "CONCEPTUAL ARC" =P

I mean if we're talking about projects like this I would pick Exile's "Radio" album any day of the week over this. Not only a unique concept but shit is dope regardless if you knew what his intention was.

Why so much bla bla bla?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    KUTIMAN is tearing my Soulstrut family apart!
    Fukk that dude.

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    I found out about it from the other thread and I think it absolutely shreds

The comparison to the grey album is apt in that this is an art project that will bring some serious shine to the producer's career.

I doubt it will help Kutiman as much as it did danger mouse, but way more people are going to check for his next project based on the obvious skill displayed in making these videos/edits.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Kutiman is executing a concept and an idea
    It's too hot of a concept to try to execute with lukewarm music.

• Kutiman is executing a concept and an idea
    It's too hot of a concept to try to execute with lukewarm music.
    Thank you.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I mean if we're talking about projects like this I would pick Exile's "Radio" album any day of the week over this. Not only a unique concept but shit is dope regardless if you knew what his intention was.

Exile just said "tell them I think that Kutiman shit is ridiculous!"

Take that for what it's worth. I think it's a pretty brilliant idea. You guys don't even surprise me with the hate anymore.

• You guys don't even surprise me with the hate anymore.

The Strut Way???!

• Some of you guys are nuts. That s**t is pretty ill.

For sheer entertainment value, I'll watch this over some dude pounding on mpc any day.

• technically it's nothing short of brilliant. I mean I'm not sure who would even think of this and be able to execute it so damn well. I can see this really being a runaway hit

I guess my quote equals hating to you dudes

:MESHACK TAYLOR JPEG: