Lyman Woodard - R.I.P.

2»

Comments

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    didnt all the strata realeses have some issues with sound quality?
    i remember hearing that from the recordmania guys in sweden.
    i only have the bery myrick lp and it sounds also really dirty.
    how much is an OG of saturday night special these days? never saw it cheap nd i really consider buying the re-ish now.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    The Strata's have good pressings, it's the recordings that were a little spotty in places. The Malauwi LP Is recorded and pressed perfectly. The Larry Nozero sounds great, and if you're into cosmic sounds it's good...though it doesn't touch Saturday Night Sp. I believe the re-ish of SNSp gave everyone the wrong idea about the quality of the OG press....it's very strong. The only song that sounds off is 'Creative musicians' because they miked the vocals poorly. The rest of the album plays great although Lyman's organ is right on the edge of too loud, which makes it perfect IMO.

On a side-note, a couple of years ago when I was in Detroit I got talking to a dude at a store who had recently brought Lyman in to play on a cover version of a track offa SNSp with his band. He said Lyman was blown away that they were interested in SNSp, and incredulous that they'd want to cover him... I hope that when Amir and co. got in touch with him the importance of his legacy had started to sink and give him some satisfaction.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The Malauwi LP Is recorded and pressed perfectly.

Except for all the surface noise that's on every copy I've ever heard.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    The Malauwi LP Is recorded and pressed perfectly.

Except for all the surface noise that's on every copy I've ever heard.

Not mine, keep looking

• that meeting with him was very special because he also was blown away that young cats like us were into his music and knew him...i took ron english and lyman to dinner and i just sat there listening to some truly amazing stories...after that dinner i went to have drinks with jerry leduff and melvyn price....what a f*cking trip. memories upon memories!

amir

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    fyi

wax poetics is taking pre-orders for the 180gram reissue now.

limited to 1,500 copies.

i ordered 2.