Breaking: California may legalize Marijuana

GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
This was introduced today. http://blog.norml.org/2009/02/23/norml-b...a-like-alcohol/
Speaking at a landmark press conference today, California Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco) introduced comprehensive legislation to tax and regulate the commercial production and sale of cannabis in a manner similar to alcohol.

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    This was introduced today.
    http://blog.norml.org/2009/02/23/norml-b...a-like-alcohol/
    Speaking at a landmark press conference today, California Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco) introduced comprehensive legislation to tax and regulate the commercial production and sale of cannabis in a manner similar to alcohol.

Damn, money's getting that tight, huh?

Can I work on the marketing campaign? "Get Phelps on the phone!"

• Makes perfect sense. Want money? Go GREEN.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Makes perfect sense. Want money? Go GREEN.

• Options
    Jeez, about time. The amount of money that can be brought into the government by taxing weed AND prostitution (yes I said prostitution) is staggering.

• The irony being that potheads won't be able to afford weed now.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    so we move to cali when we get the ban.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    would the feds recognize this? because afaik they don't recognize the medical weed shops that currently exist. it would be a DEA hard on fest.

• would the feds recognize this? because afaik they don't recognize the medical weed shops that currently exist. it would be a DEA hard on fest.

therein lies the problem. While states can legalize it, federally it is still a controlled substance. I read an article several years back talking about this same thing in LA, and how the LAPD and the LA Sheriff's Dept had differing opinions on how to police it. So even within the same city it can be tricky.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    would the feds recognize this? because afaik they don't recognize the medical weed shops that currently exist. it would be a DEA hard on fest.

Well, right now it's like the piracy thing. Make examples out of a small number of high profile people to scare joanna public into staying away.

The DEA has much much bigger things to focus on.

I think most of the problems with this plan is the amount of weed currently exported from california and how that is going to skyrocket even more.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

This was under the Bush administration. If Obama sticks to his word, he'll be putting the decision back in the hands of state governments.

• why are republicans all about states rights EXCEPT when it comes to fun stuff

I think most of the problems with this plan is the amount of weed currently exported from california and how that is going to skyrocket even more.

I would assume that all of California's border towns and cities would be thrilled at the prospect of all the new tourism revenue they would get from kids from Nevada and Oregon and shit. Open a weed emporium next to a couple bars, an Applebee's and a strip club and you've gone from a one horse town to a thriving mini-Vegas.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This would seemingly set up a showdown between Fed and state. Marijuana prohibition prohibits anything cannabis, so that includes hemp. I will be very interested to see what happens with this. I don't foresee smooth sailing, but who knows.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    This would seemingly set up a showdown between Fed and state. Marijuana prohibition prohibits anything cannabis, so that includes hemp. I will be very interested to see what happens with this. I don't foresee smooth sailing, but who knows.

Other states have passed hemp production laws.
    Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Montana and West Virginia and North Dakota

As far as the weed tourism comment made above. Arcata, CA has a sign saying "Come on Vacation, Leave on Probation"

I don't think they are all that happy with it.

• What would the retail end of this look like? Private cannabis clubs? Over the counter vials at pharmacies? Pre-rolled "jazz cigarettes" at the local liquor store?

• I'm guessin CVS would keep them next to the morning after pills and Trader Joe's in the wine aisle?

• So wild. I can't even imagine this taking place.

I want to buy a pack of Pall Mall joints.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I'm thinking jobs could still drug test you and not hire you if you have it in your system.

Hell I have heard of companies not hiring cigarette smokers.

• didnt a major case get rejected in the supreme court recently ?
    the person had the medical marijuana taken away and arrested even tho it was legal in the sate...it was appealed and the judge told the state to adhere to the state laws not the federal.

• What would the retail end of this look like? Private cannabis clubs? Over the counter vials at pharmacies? Pre-rolled "jazz cigarettes" at the local liquor store?

I'm thinking it would be packaged in little round canisters so one could slip a pinch in the cheek from time to time

• I'm thinking jobs could still drug test you and not hire you if you have it in your system.

Hell I have heard of companies not hiring cigarette smokers.

Alcohol being legal doesn't mean you can come to work trashed. Of course, I guess that doesn't affect your conduct outside the workplace.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The irony being that potheads won't be able to afford weed now.

Wouldn't mass production bring the price down? Weed isn't much harder to grow than tobacco, and even though the volume output by land area is lower with weed, It's not on an order that would maintain or surpass current street prices.

• The irony being that potheads won't be able to afford weed now.

Wouldn't mass production bring the price down? Weed isn't much harder to grow than tobacco, and even though the volume output by land area is lower with weed, It's not on an order that would maintain or surpass current street prices.

Mayyyyybe... but they would probably tax the crap out of it.
    Think about beer or malt liquor - why is it $2.50 for a 40 ounce? Why can't you buy beer for 70 cents a 2 liter at Wal-Mart like you can with generic Coke? Taxes... and regulation.

But putting it in perspective... $5 or $6 for a pack of cigarettes seems ridiculous, but I guess that would be a great deal for other green items.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Think about beer or malt liquor - why is it $2.50 for a 40 ounce? Why can't you buy beer for 70 cents a 2 liter at Wal-Mart like you can with generic Coke? Taxes... and regulation.

But putting it in perspective... $5 or $6 for a pack of cigarettes seems ridiculous, but I guess that would be a great deal for other green items.

Sayin'. Even at $30 a pack, you'd still be paying much less than you currently would. How much does it cost you dudes now to buy 20 large joints worth? A hell of a lot more than that.

plus if it was more expensive that would just encourage dudes to grow and sell on the down low. All they have to do is undercut the State and people will continue to "buy locally." I guess it's riskier because now your taking loot out of the state pocket, but then again weed growers/sellers haven't been known for their fondness for the law.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    it's pretty much legal there right now anyways. all you have to do is go to a doctor and say you have migraines and pay $150 and you get your card.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Sayin'. Even at $30 a pack, you'd still be paying much less than you currently would. How much does it cost you dudes now to buy 20 large joints worth? A hell of a lot more than that.

I think the article said that proposed tax rates would be $50 per ounce.

• zoinks

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Weed bootleggin here we come!