Dumpster Diving

guy_alcindorguy_alcindor 621 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I would like to know people's opinions on the best methods for locating buried treasure amidst steaming piles of shit... any ideas? I know more than a few people who have found wax lying dormant in waste...

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    better yet - go to your local dump. Most of them have "recycle towns". Mine has tons of records - 1,000+. I've found serious heat there.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i dumpster dive at bookstore dumpsters....

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    better yet - go to your local dump. Most of them have "recycle towns". Mine has tons of records - 1,000+. I've found serious heat there.

dude your no longer a socal dude...I think you need to PM me with coordinates

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    bagels and whole foods. when i was philahobo, i was killing it

• Go to any college campus in May.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

I never thought of that.

Not really record related, but the best time to dumpster dive in general is when there are seasonal/holiday changes.

I.E. I once got about 5 garbage bags filled with unopen candy kanes in February.

Bouquets of flowers post valentine's.

It really works like that.

Other stuff that is year round is tossed computer parts, lots of products past "shelf life" including paint, and of course, misprinted photos - never found anything good then.

I also once found a whole bag of huge (and ridiculously stale) cigars - probably 9-10" each. Tasted like shit but I sold them to fellow middleschoolers.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    in one dumpster i found the following:

1 pair of new hiking boots in box (my size)
    2 sealed Romeo y Julieta Cubans
    15 bachelor party polaroids with strippers

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I once got about 5 garbage bags filled with unopen candy kanes in February.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

dude your no longer a socal dude...I think you need to PM me with coordinates

it's in NorCal.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I also once found a whole bag of huge (and ridiculously stale) cigars - probably 9-10" each. Tasted like shit but I sold them to fellow middleschoolers.

H - U - S - T - L - E

• I once got about 5 garbage bags filled with unopen candy kanes in February.

Nothing like that first sniff of a bag of raw kane.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I would like to know people's opinions on the best methods for locating buried treasure amidst steaming piles of shit... any ideas? I know more than a few people who have found wax lying dormant in waste...

Dude, who are you? You really want to know how best to dig through garbage for records? If you're seriously contemplating wading through muck for LPs maybe it's time for a re-evaluation of your priorities. Don't misunderstand--I sell records for a living and care about finding good records as much as the next person, but a fellow needs to have some standards. There are things you just shouldn't do for records, and up there with prostituting yourself and lying is digging in steaming piles of shit.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Dude, who are you? You really want to know how best to dig through garbage for records? If you're seriously contemplating wading through muck for LPs maybe it's time for a re-evaluation of your priorities. Don't misunderstand--I sell records for a living and care about finding good records as much as the next person, but a fellow needs to have some standards. There are things you just shouldn't do for records, and up there with prostituting yourself and lying is digging in steaming piles of shit.

So closed minded. And Las Vegas was just a strip of sand.

• Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts

Harsh.

Live, and let live.

• I would like to know people's opinions on the best methods for locating buried treasure amidst steaming piles of shit... any ideas? I know more than a few people who have found wax lying dormant in waste...

No one said anything about really digging in steaming piles of shit! I suppose you wear fucking protective goggles and rubber gloves when you go digging?

• Dude, who are you? You really want to know how best to dig through garbage for records? If you're seriously contemplating wading through muck for LPs maybe it's time for a re-evaluation of your priorities. Don't misunderstand--I sell records for a living and care about finding good records as much as the next person, but a fellow needs to have some standards. There are things you just shouldn't do for records, and up there with prostituting yourself and lying is digging in steaming piles of shit.

You of all people should know the value of a tongue-in-cheek statement. And prostituting myself for records? Never that, son. But throw around the almighty dollar, and things change a bit, don't they...

• I would like to know people's opinions on the best methods for locating buried treasure amidst steaming piles of shit...

Watch out for the corn[/b]....

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I would like to know people's opinions on the best methods for locating buried treasure amidst steaming piles of shit...

Go on a ride-along with these dudes.

"Yeah mang, copped me a sealed OG of Thrust back in the day....."

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

I never thought of that.

theres more to this story...

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    I DID IT BUT STOOD OUT THE DEEP PART,TWO CRATES WORTH OF NINTYS HIPHOP!
    SEARCH THE STRUT ARCHIVES,LIKE TWO SUMMERS AGO,THREADED IT!!!

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Whed I lived in michigan, I would find these on the regular:

When I was getting ready to move back to DC, counted having 9 of them, traded them for an Aluminum Group lounge (w/ ottoman) and now I'm set.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I once got about 5 garbage bags filled with unopen candy kanes in February.

You of all people should know the value of a tongue-in-cheek statement. And prostituting myself for records? Never that, son. But throw around the almighty dollar, and things change a bit, don't they...

Ok, so you're not really digging in shit, but I maintain that digging through garbage for vinyl is seriously degrading. I don't need records that badly and if I ever do it'll be because I've lost all perspective. Too many people let their record obsessions drive them to weird and freaky extremes.

• like moderating a site with weird and freaky people

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    dumpster diving as a youth in birmingham mi,
    hippy record store use to throw out all kinds of cool promo & display stuff
    freaked out moms when i brought home a big cardboard cut out promo of
    that "pollution" album with the pigeon sandwich
    also had some kool promo stickers for
    the zig zag people take bumblegum music underground
    my early daze digging..............

No one said anything about really digging in steaming piles of shit! I suppose you wear fucking protective goggles and rubber gloves when you go digging?

Dude, I wear a hazmat suit. More seriously, if I'm digging in spot with questionable sanitation, damn right I take precautions. At least for now this is my job and there's no way I'm letting my job make me sick. There's no worker's comp plan for me.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I ain't feeling poop in a dust jacket.

I don't think I've ever gone digging in the garbage for records.

Danno's got a dope hazmat suit.

h

• I would like to know people's opinions on the best methods for locating buried treasure amidst steaming piles of shit... any ideas? I know more than a few people who have found wax lying dormant in waste...

Dude, I wear a hazmat suit. More seriously, if I'm digging in spot with questionable sanitation, damn right I take precautions. At least for now this is my job and there's no way I'm letting my job make me sick. There's no worker's comp plan for me.