FUX IT.... best OSCARS yet?

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    a wholly unnecessary and derivative musical number midway through the night. You could tell Baz put that shit together because it was really ADD, all sound and fury, and just a general hot mess. (And seriously, how the F*ck did Beyonce manage to work in "At Last" again? Etta James really should kick her ass.

Baz looked almost embarrassed when they showed him and gave him credit for that abomination.

I was doing other stuff while watching, so maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a word about Paul Newman, was the mini-tribute sufficient?

Not really but it would have been unseemly to have made a bigger deal out of it.

I couldn't understand all the Slumdog hype, and now 8 Oscars? crazy.

But I was thinking, maybe it's political. India must be a huge developing market for Hollywood Inc. what better way to ingratiate themselves with 'it' than give a film like Slumdog the nod.

Ha, I like the theory but it's not that complicated - you look at the history of the Best Picture awards and it's not surprising when you compare it to, say, "Crash" or "Shakespeare in Love." It's no conspiracy - it's just a consensus of superficial taste. In any case, the movie was much more British-produced than it was Hollywood.

And bringing out the past winners to honor the nominees was good when it worked

DeNiro on Penn was great.

Agreed.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I guess, he's pretty much as legendary is it gets, plus all his charity work. I hear you though, doesn't seem some big big montage production would really have been his style anyway..

Btw, the frothing about Sean Penn here is hilarious...

• despite pledging to never watch anything Aronovsky related.

Why would you pledge not to see his films? Even his miss (The Fountain) has some redeeming qualities. Rest of his work is solid.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    dude, no way. I nominate "Pi" as the W.O.A.T.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Still haven't seen The Wrestler but plan to, despite pledging to never watch anything Aronovsky related.

For what it's worth, The Wrestler is the only Aronofsky film I've liked, and that's mainly because there's you don't really feel he's present - just a stripped down character study that lives/dies on Rourke's performance.

(I guess one could argue it's a bit heavy handed at times in trying to wring out emotion, and the set-up for The Ram's inevitable downfall is a bit too precise with a rapid domino effect, but those are minor flaws IMO.)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Btw, the frothing about Sean Penn here is hilarious...

http://pajamasmedia.com/andrewklavan/2009/02/23/and-the-oscar-for-irrelevance-goes-to/

haha

homophobia & racist aplenty...

• delete

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    oh yes. best dresses: Viola Davis, Penelope Cruz and Tina Fey

edit - take out Cruz - I just got a better look at it and it's cakey, her post awards dress was way nicer.

I forgot Tilda Swinton's outfit, sooooooo nice.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    slumdog is the city of god

they keep on calling it hollywood opening up to the world (yaaaaawwwn)

however i was referring to benjamin button production costs a la titanic which is industry money/jobs not the push job that slumdog did and will be in hteaters a long while after to recover

but i liked the film a whole lot even though it was quite simple

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I wonder, do people generally feel that "Slumdog" is a better movie than "Trainspotting"? Or just more worldly and serious?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    benjamin button was a mediocre forrest gump rehash. and it was still slightly better than slumdog millionaire.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I couldn't understand all the Slumdog hype, and now 8 Oscars? crazy.

But I was thinking, maybe it's political. India must be a huge developing market for Hollywood Inc. what better way to ingratiate themselves with 'it' than give a film like Slumdog the nod.

Ha, I like the theory but it's not that complicated - you look at the history of the Best Picture awards and it's not surprising when you compare it to, say, "Crash" or "Shakespeare in Love." It's no conspiracy - it's just a consensus of superficial taste. In any case, the movie was much more British-produced than it was Hollywood.

That was my other (less fun) explanation.

You could theorise, it's a movie that Hollywood would struggle to make. They'd like to break into the lucrative Asian market, but don't want to ostracise middle America. This opens the door for them.
    The fact that it's a British 'indy' movie and not a Hollywood production, I think makes it an even more bizarre choice to actually win 8. And as much as it's a UK/Indian movie, people in India aren't especially interested in the UK film scene, but you can be sure they know about Hollywood and the Oscars. (There was a segment on the radio news just now about how hyped 'Indians' are about this.) So this sells Hollywood to India very well.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i take it from this thread no one talks at water coolers? why so serious?

ferris bueller looks awkward as hell.

i take it from this thread no one talks at water coolers? why so serious?

ferris bueller looks awkward as hell.

Yeah man. His boyish looks don't age well. But then again, neither has SJP.