FUX IT.... best OSCARS yet?

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Not the same old .. bull ish?(not talking about the nom's.. just the way it is produced..)

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Ben Stiller making fun of Joaquin was great though

• past winners talking to nominees was kind of cool. Seemed like each person wrote their part too.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Didn't watch it as it starts at 1am over here but Slumdog winning 8 oscars is laughable.

• Slumdog winning 8 oscars is laughable.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    oscars is laughable.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i thought the set was great and the production was refreshing the past oscar montage and texts were also nice

i liked slumdog so i am happy the bigmoney movie(benjamibutton) did not win

hating on slumdog is pointless

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    however hugh jackman was godawful and can we stop with the beyonc??

• I saw all that I need...

Will Smith saying, 'boom goes the dynamite.'

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

hating on slumdog is pointless

I don't hate on Slumdog. It's a perfectly decent little flick that if I caught on TV as a made for tv movie I would thoroughly enjoy. It's just not remotely an 8[/b] oscar movie. Though that probably says as much about the shit it was up against as anything else.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Mickey Rourke was robbed.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

the film is too good for the Oscars.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Whatever. Penn was great. If either man won, it would have been right.

i liked slumdog so i am happy the bigmoney movie(benjamibutton) did not win

Please. How much you think was spent on pushing "Slumdog" to the awards voters? I wasn't rooting for "Benjamin Button" either let's not be naive as to the idea that any Oscar winner doesn't have some level of "big money" behind it. Blame the Weinsteins (or credit them).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I thought it was an unwatchable mess! I turned it off within five minutes every time I turned it on. WTF was up with the writing? Uneven, confusing and corny. Yea, I know it's the Oscars, but I didn't even understand what the presenters were trying to say half the time! Those 2008 montages were pretty bad, too.
    I know Man on Wire is a great film, but I am really bummed Trouble the Water didn't win. It is the one place that an Oscar would have really meant something.

Not the same old .. bull ish?

(not talking about the nom's.. just the way it is produced..)

I really want to know how at the Oscars really thinks montages are a good idea?

I think the show opened well - and Jackman was handling himself with aplomb. But they kind of negated that good will with a wholly unnecessary and derivative musical number midway through the night. You could tell Baz put that shit together because it was really ADD, all sound and fury, and just a general hot mess. (And seriously, how the F*ck did Beyonce manage to work in "At Last" again? Etta James really should kick her ass.

And bringing out the past winners to honor the nominees was good when it worked (i.e. the accolades felt heartfelt) but when it felt canned, it was rather awkward.

Also - what's up with the Ledger family snubbing Michelle Williams?

May I add: Phoebe Cates = still a dime

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

the film is too good for the Oscars.

Still haven't seen The Wrestler but plan to, despite pledging to never watch anything Aronovsky related. Did finally see the 1999 Beyond the Mat documentary, which my girlfriend, who is neither a fan of wrestling nor movies really, commented: "Is this what they made The Wrestler about?

[/threadjack]

I have felt the least excited about going to the movies this past year in as long as I can remember, and I saw only a small handful (if that) of the films up for contention.

Still want to see Benjamin Button but it still seems like they were heaping the praise of Fincher after completely ignoring his smaller but fantastic film Zodiac.

The Oscars will always be largely tone-deaf, missing stuff when it comes out and later championing lesser work by those same filmmakers and then missing quality work again -- they will never catch up.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i like the little things.

1)sitting Aniston like 5 seats away from Brad and Angelina. why? did she even have a movie this year?

2)i forgot who it was explaining Phillip Seymour Hoffman's role in "Doubt" but he called him "Seymour Phillip Hoffman" and Phillip just shook his head...

3)the first award of the night they presented they couldnt get the curtain open and you hear someone go "OPEN IT STEVE". I wonder if Steve got fired?

• Why did Queen Latifah have to sing during the in memoriums? They kept pulling the camera back so you couldn't see who they were honoring...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is SlumDog is the new City Of God/Buena Vista Social Club?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    They kept pulling the camera back so you couldn't see who they were honoring...
    this annoyed the hell out of me. cyd charisse gets 1 second of shaky cam devoted to her and paul newman gets a mini-montage and a qoute!

1)sitting Aniston like 5 seats away from Brad and Angelina. why? did she even have a movie this year?

The camera constantly throwing to Jolie and Pitt during Aniston and Jack Black presenting was tacky and annoying. What do they expect to see?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    DRAAAAMA.

• I have felt the least excited about going to the movies this past year in as long as I can remember

DRAAAAMA.

lol

Why did Queen Latifah have to sing during the in memoriums? They kept pulling the camera back so you couldn't see who they were honoring...

LA Times' theory was that her singing was meant to distract people from noting the usual "applause-o'-death-meter" that normally happens. That might have been the case but the camera panning was atrocious.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

And bringing out the past winners to honor the nominees was good when it worked

DeNiro on Penn was great.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I couldn't understand all the Slumdog hype, and now 8 Oscars? crazy.

But I was thinking, maybe it's political. India must be a huge developing market for Hollywood Inc. what better way to ingratiate themselves with 'it' than give a film like Slumdog the nod.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Aniston had Marley & Me

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    a wholly unnecessary and derivative musical number midway through the night. You could tell Baz put that shit together because it was really ADD, all sound and fury, and just a general hot mess. (And seriously, how the F*ck did Beyonce manage to work in "At Last" again? Etta James really should kick her ass.

Baz looked almost embarrassed when they showed him and gave him credit for that abomination.

I was doing other stuff while watching, so maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a word about Paul Newman, was the mini-tribute sufficient?