Thirteen - Soul!

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Maybe I also add that Nick and Valerie's "I'll Find You" is some real schitt on the soul tip?

• the lee morgan / blue note ep is killer...i've seen the color.

horribly sad story: apparently they had a full perf (about an hour) of Morgan, and in those days tapes were so valuable...after they'd aired the 13-minute-or-so version , the tape of the full hour was recycled in-house...lost forever, sigh

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts
    I can't help but watch these and think: what the hell happened? Crack? Corporations? Neo-Cons? I know there are still all sorts of good people doing great things out there, but these people are just beautiful. The performers. The audience. The music is so good and the messages are so honest and uplifting. It looks so much realer than anything I've ever known in my life. Which started in 1984.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Ashford is so tall and crazy looking in those outfits and that scooby hair, but he is such a gentle soul.

I also really like the show 51st State, Channel 13 used to have great local programming, but now its all big budget stuff made for a national audience. Too bad.

jimmy briscoe and the little beavers doing "hot pants" is pretty cool.

http://www.thirteen.org/soul/episodes/march-1-1972

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Turns out it was from a little earlier, when Valerie Simpson was recording as a solo artist for Tamla. I don't think Nick Ashford had any solo records out at that exact moment, but she was generous enough to have her equally talented husband share the spotlight.

I don't know if you meant he didn't have any current releases or just anything that'd come at all - but he did have a couple early solo 45s on ABC.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    TRUTH!

• MORE SOUL!

sorry for the yelling. but we were able to put up more soul episodes online.

only three of them. It's all we could free at the moment.

but there's killlllller perfs from New Birth Inc (doing 'got to get a knutt'!!! and the 'la la la' song), Exuma, Taj Mahal playing the banjo and the kalimba, Black Heat with David Fathead Newman....more.

sorry to be so promotional. i'm just so excited about them.

The top three on www.thirteen.org/soul

The Nite-Liters combining "Do the Granny" with "Grandma's Hands" is THE SHIT.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Turns out it was from a little earlier, when Valerie Simpson was recording as a solo artist for Tamla. I don't think Nick Ashford had any solo records out at that exact moment, but she was generous enough to have her equally talented husband share the spotlight.

I don't know if you meant he didn't have any current releases

That is what I meant. And going by one discography I saw, he wouldn't have had anything out at the time that episode was recorded (fall 1972).

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    MORE SOUL!

sorry to be so promotional. i'm just so excited about them.

No worries, man. This stuff deserves to be heard/seen by everyone. I'm gonna watch these new episodes at work tonight. Just caught a short glimpse of the New Birth/Nite-Liters performance (understand it + do the granny hands) and wooo that shit is hot!

And I've said it before and I'll say it again: Londie Wiggins - BLAPP.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    some of the previously viewable episodes seem to be gone. did they have to be taken down owing to contractual obligations? i sure hope not.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This is by far some of the illest shits I've ever seen posted on the net.

Where can I buy the DVD. I really want one now.

- Diego

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    HOLY FUSK = NITE LITERS

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I never heard Ron O'Neal discuss Superfly. Good interview.

I wish The DVD was "deluxed" and had him on a commentary.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Anyone know the name of the first instrumental Nite-Liters tune (chapter 1/2)?

http://www.thirteen.org/soul/2009/04/14/november-1-1972-2/