Thirteen - Soul!

pknypkny 549 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
I was just hipped to this site:http://www.thirteen.org/soul/I've watched the Rahsaan footage, and I'm currently watching the EW&F one....

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yeah, I just got an email about this from a co-worker. PBS rules your faces!

• Damn that's cool! Check out the Tito Puente (the emcee is old school NY newsman Felipe Luciano) and the Jimmy Briscoe & the Little Beavers doing 'Higher'.

• Did you guys see THIS episode in the listings???

January 26, 1972 (to be posted)
    ???The Blue Note Show???
    Guests: Keyboardist Horace Silver with vocalists Andy and Salome Bey, trumpeter Lee Morgan, flutist Bobbi Humphrey
    Host: Ellis Haizlip

• Did you guys see THIS episode in the listings???

???The Blue Note Show???
    Guests: Keyboardist Horace Silver with vocalists Andy and Salome Bey, trumpeter Lee Morgan, flutist Bobbi Humphrey

About three weeks before Morgan was killed.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    heat

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Ahhh!!!

That latin episode is flames!!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    jimmy briscoe and the little beavers doing "hot pants" is pretty cool.

M'BOOM!!!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Man, Tito's band is crazy.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    that intro is pretty

That Latin episode is flames!!

• oh my god this is amazing!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Dude.. Ron carter is a beast.

That performance of Sunny was incredible.

- spidey

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    UNBEFUKKINLIEVABLE
    I hope the episodes grow quickly.

what bass was Ron using BTW?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Did you guys see THIS episode in the listings???

???The Blue Note Show???

This show is already on youtube (in 4 parts):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdwP37l2Eig
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp12aN0yhwA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB7eL5tXNUI

It's from someones old home recording, so the quality is butt. It will no doubt be better when they get a rip of the original tapes up on that Thirteen blog. Amazing stuff nonetheless. Horace Silver with his "United States Of Mind" group (H.Vick, C.Bridgewater, M.Roker, R.Resnicoff, B.Cranshaw, Bey siblings) and Lee Morgan with his group from the S/T '72 double album, right before his death (B.Humphrey, H.Mabern, J.Merritt, B.Harper, F.Waits).

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Dude.. Ron carter is a beast.

That performance of Sunny was incredible.

- spidey

I watched 'Sunny' maybe 4 times in a row when this was first posted. I got out of work early that day, and later when she got home my girl was laughing because I was sitting there watching, transfixed, in exactly the same spot as when she left for work that morning.

So amazing when he opens he mouth and it just sounds perfect. Gotta go back and watch the rest of these....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My friend Gayle Wald - who wrote that awesome biography of Sister Rosetta Tharpe - is writing her new book about "Soul!" and I first learned about the show during a conference paper she gave on it two years ago.

The history of the show - and its host - is really, really fascinating. Not only are the performances just incredible but so were the interviews considering the time and place they were happening. Haizlip was an openly gay Black intellectual and Wald managed to find the episode where he's interviewing Louis Farrakhan - half the audience seemed to be from the NOI - and Haizlip asks him where gays fit into the Nation's overall mission and membership. It was a fascinating moment, to say the least, especially circa 1970.

It's fantastic they're bringing these back into the digital realm; for a long time, it wasn't really clear on how the rights for that would work, plus they lost some tapes over the years. I just want to figure out how to download some of these videos (tried searching the page source but couldn't find my way to the original URL for the video source).

• dam, that latin show is really hot.

dam, that latin show is really hot.

Word. Hosted by the founder of the Young Lords no less!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Only just clicked on this thread - my loss. Just lost my afternoon to watching as much of these as possible. That latin show is like something piped directly from my private mindgarden, I'd happily buy the intro alone on 7" never mind the amazing music afterwards.

• That must be a young Hector LaVoe there.

• My friend Gayle Wald - who wrote that awesome biography of Sister Rosetta Tharpe - is writing her new book about "Soul!" and I first learned about the show during a conference paper she gave on it two years ago.

The history of the show - and its host - is really, really fascinating. Not only are the performances just incredible but so were the interviews considering the time and place they were happening. Haizlip was an openly gay Black intellectual and Wald managed to find the episode where he's interviewing Louis Farrakhan - half the audience seemed to be from the NOI - and Haizlip asks him where gays fit into the Nation's overall mission and membership. It was a fascinating moment, to say the least, especially circa 1970.

I'm looking at the episode guide, and it turns out that Farrakhan was on twice, in '71 and '72 (not '70)...when this website first materialized, I was hoping that this would be one of the episodes shown, because of your description of it (you were saying that Farrakhan somehow AVOIDED THE QUESTION about gays in the NOI, then Haizlip forgot, forgave and gave him a soul pound!).

It's fantastic they're bringing these back into the digital realm; for a long time, it wasn't really clear on how the rights for that would work, plus they lost some tapes over the years. I just want to figure out how to download some of these videos (tried searching the page source but couldn't find my way to the original URL for the video source).

Yeah, I had similar DL problems...I'm getting back to this as soon as I get the time.

• if someone works out the way to get this downloaded let me know i cant do it with sothink and i NEED this

My friend Gayle Wald - who wrote that awesome biography of Sister Rosetta Tharpe - is writing her new book about "Soul!" and I first learned about the show during a conference paper she gave on it two years ago.

I'm looking at the episode guide, and it turns out that Farrakhan was on twice, in '71 and '72 (not '70)...when this website first materialized, I was hoping that this would be one of the episodes shown, because of your description of it (you were saying that Farrakhan somehow AVOIDED THE QUESTION about gays in the NOI, then Haizlip forgot, forgave and gave him a soul pound!).

Farrakhan didn't avoid it so much as mumbled around it, basically saying something along the lines of "the movement needs real masculine types to bring about the revolution, blah blah blah" but he also careful not to come off as too outwardly homophobic. And the soul pound at the end is a moment Wald has tried to unpack in terms of its possible range of meanings...her read is that it was this coded way of acknowledging that he put Farrakahn on the spot b/c he had to and that Farrakhan was going to evade, because he had to and that, at the end, they understand one another. But again, that's just a read - it could have been that Haizlip was trying to avoid pissing off all the NOI in the house too. I prefer Gayle's read though

Also - the tape for this MUST exist since I saw it during Gayle's presentation and it was high quality video not some dub of a dub of a dub. Give 'em some time!

• I think the Ashford and Simpson is the best.

• ok whats the tito track the couple dance too, sorry if i should know it but i don't.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I think the Ashford and Simpson is the best.

I find it interesting that they presented themselves as "separate" artists.
    I doubt during the 80's they would have let one another have the stage on the solo tip.

The story goes she found Ashford on some homeless shit.

• I think the Ashford and Simpson is the best.

I doubt during the 80's they would have let one another have the stage on the solo tip.

I'd heard about this episode and figured it had to be one of the very last ones, since the first A&S album appeared the same year Soul! went off the air, 1973.

Turns out it was from a little earlier, when Valerie Simpson was recording as a solo artist for Tamla. I don't think Nick Ashford had any solo records out at that exact moment, but she was generous enough to have her equally talented husband share the spotlight.

I think the Ashford and Simpson is the best.

I'd heard about this episode and figured it had to be one of the very last ones, since the first A&S album appeared the same year Soul! went off the air, 1973.

Turns out it was from a little earlier, when Valerie Simpson was recording as a solo artist for Tamla. I don't think Nick Ashford had any solo records out at that exact moment, but she was generous enough to have her equally talented husband share the spotlight.

That makes sense. She was already established and they were highlighting her and "presenting" him.