MODERN ROCK... school me.

13»

Comments

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Best modern rock band IMO is the Reigning Sound.

All these new garage revival bands give it up to these guys. They were a Memphis band until the front man moved to Ashville,NC and did a line-up change.
    Ask Jack White...Greg Cartwright from the Reigning Sound or the historical Oblivians was doing what Jack is doing now in the 80's. Hell, the Hives were asked who they wanted to tour with and you guessed it, it was these guys.

Lefty Greg at work!
    Greg's former band mate and my neighbor Jack Oblivian sold Jack White that red Jaguar guitar you see in all the videos.
    Also, I might add that being a great new band would mainly come from what older music you listen to. Greg's knowledge/collection of records is the most impressive I've yet to incounter. Dude use to have a record store here...I miss those days...most of my heat came from there.
    (NOTE)This band does not suck like most modern garage bands. They even do Stax Covers!

My 2 cents.

Sounds interesting. Any sound clips?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I saw Broken Social Scene and Feist in the past month, both shows were great. Highly recommended...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Hat all you want motherphuckers, but I'm gonna use this oppurtunity (sp) to admit my love for Ben Kweller batches!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    To summarise:

air-talkie walkie - crap... all the air records since moon safari have been absolute dross

bloc party-silent alarm - surprisingly invigorating... quite decent

blonde redhead-misery is a butterfly + in an expression of the inexpressible - snooze alarm. good 6 years ago but the novelty she is long gone

broken social scene-you forgot it in people - unbearabley po faced sub dinosaur jr CRAP

manitoba/caribou-"up in flames" and "the milk of human kindness" - like mercury rev but witht beats... CRAP

dungen-ta det lungt (i really think so many people on this board would be into this) - i need to hear this

interpol-turn on the bright lights - CRAP, and they're ugly

lcd soundsystem-s/t - good singles.. record is CRAP

maximo park- a certain trigger - excellent tuneful goodness

the strokes-both albums - snoreful CRAP

The Mars Volta - i said it before.. if steve vai jamming with chris cornell gets you off then fine.. otherwise CRAP

Acid Mothers Temple - Completely ignored Psych Madness - more snooze worthy hippy CRAP

Tom Waits - people still listen to new Tom Waits records? and they have beat boxing??? that's got to be CRAP

Jaga Jazzist - arent these dudes on ninja tune? must be pretty crap

Les savy fav - well since they're from montreal i'll let this one slide. but man are they ugly

Kings Of Leon - incredibly CRAP

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I kind of like the band MUSE. My old roomate was really into them, and gave me the CD. They remind me of Radiohead circa the bends. Their newer album Absolution was pretty good. Their older stuff sucks. I was going to see them in concert over a year ago and the show was canceled because the lead singer hit himself in the face with his guitar at the NY show. I guess he got a little to into it. He broke his own nose. What a fucking dumbass.

oh yeah i forgot to mention:

Muse, Radiohead, Manic Street Preachers

CRAP

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I think that with the popularity of this kind of music, along with online journals, will create a new generation of youth that is completely self-centered, selfish, and basically on some "woe is me" shit.

This is nothing new...this goes back generations.

man i caught the end of that FOX show where families switch moms.. holy shit!! this one family was like this super old ass hippy dude and he'd trained his two young sons to play all these old timery banjo, country doc boggs type steeze... it was like Greil Marcus's dream of the future of the old weird america.

• loudwizardloudwizard 358 Posts
    Oblivians put on perhaps the best rock show I ever witnessed.

if you don't have Clinic's Internal Wrangler,
    get it immediately.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Soon as I see some white motherfucker with a guitar, I'm the fuck outta there.

I keep trying though...but rock is way the fuck over.

As for MrKnewjack. There's better ways to cop trim. Take her out shoe shopping. Really though, in DC, the ratio is way in your favor. Don't stoop.

alkaline trio: think blink 182 but more gay

kings of leon: think steppenwolf with british accent but more gay

secret machines: think pink floyd but less gay and more terrible

gay=emo?

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    PRAY FOR ROCK AND ROLL

These are dark times.