MODERN ROCK... school me.

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
When it comes to Modern Rock I am as ignorant as it gets. As much as I would like to learn more about new music, this post is partly stemming from the fact that there is a girl who I want to take to a concert, (all I know is that she is into the Alkaline Trio).I checked the local listings and noticed that the 'Kings of Leon' & 'Secret Machines' are having a show together. I have heard about these guys, but havent heard them. So what do they sound like, any good? I checked out their web site and they look like they belong in Oasis or somthing. Whatever, Im not going to judge them by their promo shots, (but it sometimes gives you an idea nevertheless). I don't have Mp3 capabilities so I cant download them either.Anyway, long story short, are these guys any good? and are there any modern rock bands worth checking out?thanks soulstrut..

Comments

• awallawall 673 Posts
    this post is partly stemming from the fact that there is a girl who I want to take to a concert, (all I know is that she is into the Alkaline Trio).

I checked the local listings and noticed that the 'Kings of Leon' & 'Secret Machines' are having a show together. I have heard about these guys, but havent heard them.
    don't bother

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Audioslave

• Options
    I checked the local listings and noticed that the 'Kings of Leon' & 'Secret Machines' are having a show together. I have heard about these guys, but havent heard them.
    don't bother

Someone on here is an OG member of the Secret Machines, I think TheHookUp....I saw them a year and a half ago, thought they were alright. Don't know anything about that Leon mess though.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    this post is partly stemming from the fact that there is a girl who I want to take to a concert, (all I know is that she is into the Alkaline Trio).

so the is for the Alkaine Trio or what? I'm not that familiar with them either, (other than they are a trio).

come on now, I know some of you have heard of these bands and could give me a solid review. dont be shy, lay it on me.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

VAZ

my favorite rock band of the last 5 years. so good live it's unreal. the intensity of Lightning Bolt, but with actual fucking songs with vocal melodies that get stuck in my head.

• alkaline trio: think blink 182 but more gay

kings of leon: think steppenwolf with british accent but more gay

secret machines: think pink floyd but less gay and more terrible

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Audioslave

= poster children for the failure of payola

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

kings of leon: think steppenwolf with british accent but more gay

aren't they from tennesee or kentucky????

kings of leon: think they tried to be the Allman Brothers but it wasn't selling so now they're The Strokes except with longer hair and one beard.

alkaline trio: think blink 182 but more gay

MORE GAY? are you kidding me? Christ, I did not know this was possible.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    the Secret Machines record was a no go for me strictly based on the vocals alone

I try, I really try, to like new rock bands but there are oh so few that cut the mustard

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Forget about it . Your not missing anything!!!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    definatly not missing shit with any of that stuff.

surprisingly good:

Maximo Park

• CLabCLab 76 Posts

secret machines: think pink floyd but less gay and more terrible

or think neu! if klaus dinger used mad hair product and sang like an WB interstitial.

the drummer is kind of a beast tho.

I like The Bravery's album. Sue me.

I like The Bravery's album. Sue me.

they put the ART in retarded

I like The Bravery's album except for what has to be one of the stupidest lines in rock history. Sue me.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts

surprisingly good:

Maximo Park

dude's comb-over game is SIRUS.

(biased cause i cut one of their videos)

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Kings of Leon are from Tennessee I think. When they were signed the label moved them moved to England to develop as a band.

Some shit I'm feeling:
    Mars Volta
    Black Mountain
    Queens of the Stone Age
    I like the new White Stripes CD.

But don't worry about any of that...go out and buy the new Dipset.

Black Mountain

word

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Only rock groups I've liked in the past few years have been the Notwist, Phoenix, and Bloc Party.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Alkaline Trio are good, not gay, as far as modern pop punk goes. Better than damn Good Charlotte or Simple Plan. I wouldn't reccomend Kings Of Leon & don't know Secret Machines. But there are a bunch of good modern rock bands. Recently I've seen Blood Brothers, Rogers Sisters, The Gimmies & Whirlwind Heat and they all put on good shows.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Only rock groups I've liked in the past few years have been the Notwist, Phoenix, and Bloc Party.
    That new Bloc Party CD isn't bad.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    you guys are snobs

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    you guys are snobs

sayin

if you are at all into new rock or open-minded...
    kings of leon are one of the best groups. not similar to strokes, but just as good. other than that...
    white stripes
    mando diao's first album is good
    bravery is garbage compared to these groups, plus none of the above wear make-up

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    When it comes to modern rock (!) snobbery, you cant beat buddyhead. I always try to check thier gossip column every couple of monthes. I often have NO idea who half the band are that they are talking about, but they sure are vicious. They talk shit like a 15 year-old girl, but they are all connnected in the LA hipster indie/modern rock scene. Probably wont help, but it sure is funny.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Who's going to be the first one to sample that White Stripes "My Doorbell" braek? Are my ears fooling me or does that new Gorillaz song use the bass from Cake's "Never There"? Velvet Revolver is pretty good

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    the Secret Machines record was a no go for me strictly based on the vocals alone

The Hook-Up was in the Secret Machines...be nice now.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    modern pop punk

not a genre that should exist