RIP Joe Cuba

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
RIP to another legend... http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2009-02-15-obit-cuba_N.htm
Salsa band leader Joe Cuba, dubbed the "Father of Latin Boogaloo" for weaving a fluid, bilingual mix of musical influences, died Sunday in New York City, a member of his group said. He was 78.The musician, a friend and contemporary of the late salsa giant Tito Puente, died from complications of a persistent bacterial infection at Mount Sinai Medical Center a day after doctors disconnected his life support, said Cheo Feliciano, a longtime friend and singer in the Joe Cuba Sextet. Cuba had fought the infection for several years.Born Gilberto Calderon in 1931 in New York to a family from Puerto Rico, the band leader and conga player helped change the sound of salsa in the 1960s, Feliciano said.Until then, most popular salsa had been played by orchestras, he said. But Cuba led a six-member band with three singers who also played percussion and danced a routine."He had a dynamic group," with a signature vibraphone-fronted sound that "caused a craze because it was different," Feliciano said. Albums such as 1966's Bang! Bang! Push, Push, Push incorporated elements of salsa, Latin jazz and R&B and featured lyrics in both English and Spanish.Cuba, whose musical career took him on world tours, was inducted into the International Latin Music Hall of Fame and became director of the International Salsa Museum in New York's East Harlem.In his 70s, he was confined to a sick bed for three years after contracting a staph bacterial infection while being treated for asthma at a hospital. After care in hospitals, a nursing home and at his New York home, he resumed performing in 2006.Feliciano said he spoke to Cuba by telephone from Puerto Rico just before Cuba died."I told him that God has a mission for all of us, and when we've come to the end of the mission, we have to go to the place we came from," said Feliciano, who debuted as a singer in the sextet in 1957.The band leader's remains are expected to be interred in Puerto Rico.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Damn...RIP to a legend.

Bummer too - I was hoping to get to interview him. Guess I need to hurry up with a lot of these Latin soul old timers.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Damn...RIP to a legend.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Damn.

R.I.P.

He put out so much great music...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    That Boogaloo period he had going was incredible. He will be sorely missed.

• Damn, damn, damn.....El Pito is the shit.

• RIP, I saw him live at Prospect Park Summer of '07. He was looking real old and frail, but at the same time he was so excited to be playing for people. The crowd went nuts when they played Bang Bang. I'll never forget it, RIP Joe.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm writing up a tribute piece on him for NPR.com and am revisiting all his Secco albums for the first time in a while. Seriously, don't sleep on this material, nor his pre-boogaloo Tico albums. So much good, good stuff.

There's one LP out there, "The Exciting Joe Cuba Sextette" which is a comp of his first three (and only?) Secco albums for those looking for a sampler of his work in the early '60s.

• I hate to say it, but I had no idea Cuba was still around all this time. That's how low his profile has been. His "Bang! Bang!" was the gateway to me getting into Latin music in the first place, and I would have loved to have seen him make a full-on comeback ala Pucho or Joe Bataan. R.I.P.

• Options

He put out so much great music...

R.I.P.

• This is one of those RIPs that hurt...

RIP, Joe.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    R.I.P.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    "Bang Bang" was one of those songs just made to play on a 60's summer night in NY..... blaring from a transistor radio on front stoops in every neighborhood....it crossed ethnic and color lines like few others up until that time...."cornbread, hog maw and chitterlings" became an inner city melting pot chant for both young and old......it's still in my regular listening rotation today.....especially in the summer.

• "do you feel it" is my fave by him. RIP!

Dress