Tuna-Fish Sammich???

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    damn, I'm not really a tuna guy but this thread has got me drooling.

Although my wife makes this tuna/pasta salad with mayo, pesto and whole black olives and that shit is straight bon appetit.

I have to step my home-made sandwich game up.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    have to disagree with the tuna in oil - kills the flavour and the light and refreshing properties I like about tuna.
    nothing to really add to all the recipes, but will say that smoked tuna packed in water is most delicious, especially on top of pasta tossed with garlic, olive oil, white beans with fresh parsley, raw ripe tomatoes and fresh parmesan.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Tuna in Water > Tuna In Oil?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I dont ever eat this shit, but today i brought a pack of Bumble Bee (albacore) whatevers.

Give me a recipe......

Mayo,mustard,scallions,salt,pepper,.....????

"traditional" and left of center joints appreciated.

Fake ass fish.

F*ck a sammich.

My mom put me up on this, not sure if it is a Colombian thing or what. Make some yellow rice, mix it up with the tuna, throw a fried egg on top of it, and BAM! Best po boy tuna meal eva!

For added bouns, slice up some tomato and red onion, throw some oil and vinegar on that shit and you are in po boy HEAVEN!

• Cue Homer Simpson drool....

I dont ever eat this shit, but today i brought a pack of Bumble Bee (albacore) whatevers.

Give me a recipe......

Fake ass fish.

F*ck a sammich.

My mom put me up on this, not sure if it is a Colombian thing or what. Make some yellow rice, mix it up with the tuna, throw a fried egg on top of it, and BAM! Best po boy tuna meal eva!

For added bouns, slice up some tomato and red onion, throw some oil and vinegar on that shit and you are in po boy HEAVEN!

dude the whole idea is to have a quick munchy.

Im not makin some damn yellow rice AND dirtying a pan for one fried egg.

One bowl.....mix.....eat.

• Tuna in Water > Tuna In Oil?
    i eat plenty of tuna and I NEVER buy that shit in oil
    always packed in water

always packed in water

cool

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Give me a recipe......

Fake ass fish.

F*ck a sammich.

dude the whole idea is to have a quick munchy.

Im not makin some damn yellow rice AND dirtying a pan for one fried egg.

One bowl.....mix.....eat.

You don't sound Latino I always have a pot of yellow rice laying around. For me this is a 2 minute meal if you include the fried egg, otherwise 1 minute meal.

Honestly try it one day when you have the time, I swear you won't regret it. A couple of my non-latino friends are hooked on that shit now.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

always packed in water

cool

wayyyyyyyyy better in oil.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

always packed in water

cool

Meh. If you're making tuna salad out of that, there's plenty of oil in whatever you're using as a binding agent.

Make some yellow rice, mix it up with the tuna

turmeric yellow or saffron yellow - both?? I am having a hard imagining the flavour with either and tuna....

turmeric yellow or saffron yellow - both?? I am having a hard imagining the flavour with either and tuna....

If its Carribean Latino is gonna be Achiote yellow.

Either way. SAMMICH. or id make that rice mix and throw it in a pita.

If its Carribean Latino is gonna be Achiote yellow.

Either way. SAMMICH. or id make that rice mix and throw it in a pita.

ah....OK - not too strong a flavour, easier to imagine than the others.

I know it's not mandatory to the tuna recipe, but I've never understood the whole "throw an egg on it!" concept to cooking/eating.

I've never understood the whole "throw an egg on it!" concept to cooking/eating.

Haha! Right? Dudes are all about telling me to throw an egg on my burger these days. Fruit salad? Throw an egg on that! I'm waiting for people to start throwing an egg on their ice cream.

My homie's wife is from Colombia and she'll Throw That Egg on some stuff. Its cool for the right thang.

BUT IM TALMBOUT A TUNA SAMMICH.

• F*ck a sweet pickle, sweet relish...make that shit savory..green olives.

just those and some red onion, mayo and black pepper...

always packed in water

cool

Meh. If you're making tuna salad out of that, there's plenty of oil in whatever you're using as a binding agent.

one - it tastes better sitting in oil. Two - add less mayo when making the salad. I can see fat wise how you might want to use water packed tuna but if u put a bunch of mayo in the the point is mute.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

I know it's not mandatory to the tuna recipe, but I've never understood the whole "throw an egg on it!" concept to cooking/eating.

I think it's a matter of having little means, and doing the best you can with what you got. I see this a lot with South American country style meals, and tons of other countries have their own versions of making something out of nothing in the poorer, rural areas as well.

I think it's a matter of having little means, and doing the best you can with what you got. I see this a lot with South American country style meals, and tons of other countries have their own versions of making something out of nothing in the poorer, rural areas as well.

yea, in that respect I totally get it...but you know there's meals with a dozen ingredients already - or like db's example, a giant burger - and then plop! there's an egg sitting on top waiting to ooze yolk over all over the damn place. anyway - matter of taste really.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

yea, in that respect I totally get it...but you know there's meals with a dozen ingredients already - or like db's example, a giant burger - and then plop! there's an egg sitting on top waiting to ooze yolk over all over the damn place. anyway - matter of taste really.

Have you ever had breakfast in Colombia?

Or at least at a good Colombian restaurant in NYC?

Heads aint ready!

I've never been to Colombia, only ever ate dinner at a Colombian restuarant in Toronto (mmmm that seafood soup!) and you are absolutely correct - I am not ready for ____________ with a side of egg!

Well....maybe if it truly is and not gooeyrunny!

• Another favorite of mine is to dice a tomato, throw in some avocado, and douse the whole thing with Salsa Valentina. Poor man's ceviche.

the the point is mute.

Yeah, but the mayo tastes better than just straight oil, nahmean?

i still add mayo just a touch. Oil son!

• Tuna in Water > Tuna In Oil?

always packed in water

cool

If you're making a sandwich use some bumblebee tuna in oil or water, no real difference. If you're making a pasta or dinner dish that requires canned tuna, buy the nice Italian joints in oil, tastes much better.

always packed in water

cool

one - it tastes better sitting in oil. Two - add less mayo when making the salad. I can see fat wise how you might want to use water packed tuna but if u put a bunch of mayo in the the point is mute.

I'm not going to flog the which tastes better point because it's taste after all. Putting aside the calorie difference, which I'm not really thinking about too much, if you care at all about all the good omegas and vitamins tuna offers, then skip the oil and go to water. The packing oil saps out most of all those things that are good for you.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I've never been to Colombia, only ever ate dinner at a Colombian restuarant in Toronto (mmmm that seafood soup!) and you are absolutely correct - I am not ready for ____________ with a side of egg!

Well....maybe if it truly is and not gooeyrunny!

Sunny side up, but not too gooey. You want to be able to break the yolk and let it melt all over the place. I have a photo someone took of my meal two weeks ago at this spot in Jackson Heights, let me see if I can dig it up. It is seriously

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    OK I've derailed this thread enough. Check my new food thread if you want to see a real meal.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Hellmans light, basil, pepper, & toasted wheat

Horseradish, mustard, & toasted wheat