Spaghetti Bolognese

13»

Comments

• hahahahha- only at this place could we start with spaghetti bolognese and end up with janet's black cat!! Most impressive!!
    p.s just brought up bad memories of a "choreographed" dance performed to this in grade 5!! oh my!haha!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    please to report to the 31 year old virgin thread NOW!!!!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Back to getting shitty food from a restaurant. We took my wife's uncle to some restaurant not too far from his house. There was eleven of us. It was called The Gourmet European Bistro. I was already suspect by the name of it. but whatever. Menu looks halfway decent. It was a byob restaurant that charged $5 per bottle corkage fee. No big deal. The waiter warned us about the charge and proceeded to tell us why they charge it (I say tell a table about it and leave it like that). The apps weren't bad. Onto the entrees. I got the NY strip med/rare. That shoe leather comes out sliced in three pieces and and sooooo well done. Nasty. I usually don't do this but I sent it back and ordered the crab cakes (knowing they would come out fast). Somebody else ordered risotto with beef tips who was still waiting for his food while I get my crab cakes. Finally he gets his food and the beef is cold and the rice is hot. He sends it back and gets the crab cakes. There were 3 crab cake dinners on the table now. All of them different in some way. One had no rice and some sort squirt bottle sauce. One had extra remoulade on top with a slice of lemon on each crab cake. One had no squirt bottle sauce. Food was cold. Just a comedy of errors. Well when you go out you win some and you lose some, but damn...So the bill comes and now we are getting charged for food that isn't even on the menu...Chilean seabass?!?!?! As well as deciphering what we ordered and what we sent back. One of the diners at are table goes to talk to the owner about the bill and what a mess it was. Granted, I wouldn't make a fuss because it's not worth it. But the guy wouldn't knock some money off the bill because his restaurant gets good reviews. Proceeds to show him some print outs of the yahoo reviews

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I always simmer some garlic and oregano/sage/parsley/etc. in some olive oil
    while rosted garlic can be nice, herbs should never be put in hot oil, you'll burn them and the aetheric oils evaporate or oxydise, leaving you with bitter tasting straw. Don't slaughter me now.... that's just what I learned at culinary school. Also sorry for yesterdays unsensitive remarks but you should know by now that everything I say is meant to be consumed with more than just a pinch of salt...

BUT...fried sage is dope. no question.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    REPORTING BACK:
    made the sauce this weekend and it killed. so good.

a couple things i changed: instead of all beef i used one of those key food 3 scoop 1.5 pound ground pork, beef, veal variety packs for meatloaf. the recipe scales up pretty easily. laid off a little on the butter and oil. went three garlic cloves instead of one.

things i'd do different next time: probably go half as much butter and olive oil. as great as it makes it taste there was a slightly sheeny aftertaste which i didn't love. i'd throw in some bay leaves next go round. chopping up the pancetta was a bitch, would probably use a food processor on that and all the veggies. but even the big pancetta hard chunks turned into slurry with all the simmering. only had shiraz in the house, would use a cab instead next time, it's definitely weird seeing all your hard work turn purple for a few minutes before the milk goes in.

the key: crud and scrape right before you get to a crusty burning point. i had eno/cluster on towards the end and everytime a song ended (6 or 7 minutes) i'd get up to scrape. after about 15-20 scrapes total you will get an amazing smoky sauce.

great recipe.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    u can throw the pancetta in the freezer so it slices easier. Just to make it knda solid.

At room temp it tends to smush.

• Just because you're Italian doesn't make u a good cook.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Those pictures look amazing. I've really got to decode the whole american measurement system so I can follow that recipe. Now, how much is a "cup" again?

Been making ziti a lot lately and I'm sure I'm butchering the dish according to puritan standards but damn is it tasty anyways.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    You can use google to convert measurements. For example, if you put in "1 cup in ml" google calculates the conversion for you:

1 US cup = 236.588237 ml
    1 US tablespoon = 14.7867648 ml