The "Reverse Will Smith"...

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Actor Joaquin Phoenix is attempting an incredibly difficult maneuver in the entertainment world: he's leaving acting to become a rapper. The actor, whose work in Walk the Line certified him as a bad-ass, announced his retirement from the movie business last year, and since then there have been rumblings of a singing career; word is he's been holed up writing songs for the last few years, and even has a band, Victoria, that performs them -- though he doesn't get onstage with them.Now the Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Phoenix is working to break into the rap world as an MC. It's an incredibly ballsy move that takes courage, guts and a little bit of, er, insanity to pull off; whether it can even actually be done is open to debate, as no one has ever succeeded.The odd thing about the announcement, though, is that it seems that Phoenix can't really stay away from the camera. He's enlisted his brother-in-law Casey Affleck to film his foray into the world of rhymes for a documentary.This is dangerous stuff, for sure, and if it were anyone else but Joaquin Phoenix we'd be laughing our ass off. Yes, there is a grin on our face. But it's hard to begrudge anyone for taking a chance such as this. It's more respectable than acting for the paycheck while being miserable inside. (Now, after this thing is released, well, we'll reassess our generosity.)http://blogs.laweekly.com/play/only-in-hollywood-joaquin-phoe/

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    WTF?

• He's jumped up on the mic a few times now at some of the spots around here (Funkmosphere, Root Down...), high as f**k, sounding horrible.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    He's jumped up on the mic a few times now at some of the spots around here (Funkmosphere, Root Down...), high as f**k, sounding horrible.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    He's jumped up on the mic a few times now at some of the spots around here (Funkmosphere, Root Down...), high as f**k, sounding horrible.

But I Was High (So You Can't Blame Me)

b/w

Now Playing Outfield For The Birmingham Barons...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

This had me laughing when I saw it a few months ago... He's got that "relaxed" LA surfer look nowadays... bordering on bum. Showing it to female friends who swoon over "Walk the line" is highly amusing.

• and of all the places in LA to test out your flow...
    Funkmosphere???

Trying to freestyle over some super-obscure modern soul 45 that has vocals is

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Hipster Catnip

• Wow.

• Love to see him to a cover of this

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    well at least he's making a documentary about it. Wow.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    DRUGS IS A TERRIBLE THING.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

"YO DAWG STEP DA FUCC BACK, PRINCE WAQEEN IS ABOUT TO DROP VERBAL GEMZ ON DA MIC!"[/b]

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    'MYTHOLOGICAL RAPPER"

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Insider info: it's an elaborate Punked-styled joke.

• I kicked mean freestyles with him at funkmosphere blacked out over the sound system... anyone who was there... I apologize.

• Insider info: it's an elaborate Punked-styled joke.

Yea I kinda assumed that... and also feel like I will be part of the butt of this joke... seeing that they were filming when I was kicking said mean freestyles...

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Insider info: it's an elaborate Punked-styled joke.

Yea I kinda assumed that... and also feel like I will be part of the butt of this joke... seeing that they were filming when I was kicking said mean freestyles...
    Thank God I was not there or there might be two of us on the mic. b/w I hope they include you in the movie. I can't wait.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    What I can't understand is; why would he want to reposition himself as a rapper in this day and age? If he was doing some kind of alt.rock-with-a-kinda-hip-hop-dynamic thing like Beck on Odelay, that'd be different. But he wants to compete with Soulja Boy, Kanye and Lil' Wayne? Or even Atmosphere, Lupe Fiasco or Little Brother?

Fools need to realise that, just because you want to do something, it doesn't mean you should.

Edit: I guess I should have read the whole thread before posting. Still, I'm curious as to what the point of this is. Perhaps the whole "OMG, he's a white dude and he's, like, rapping and stuff LOL" is still enough of a novelty to be a source of the funny for some people.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i think its hilarious. I hope keanu reeves does this for real.

• thank gawd for that!! casey affleck's doing the doco, i still don't really get why either would do it tho...funnier if it was for real maybe?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Maybe he's doing all this as research for when he plays the role of Vanilla Ice in an upcoming movie about his life.....

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Dude is looking a bit Bunker Spreckels.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    web page

Here's his new single.... a tribute to his brother!

• He's jumped up on the mic a few times now at some of the spots around here (Funkmosphere, Root Down...), high as f**k, sounding horrible.

yup! my dude teeko was in the building when he did this. beyond pathetic.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts