the steel drum band :whoa: canon

selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
my most embarassing flea market indiscretions are steel drum band records, even if they're obviously tepid, touristy, and unfunky. and i've been thinking about what would make the perfect '70s steel drum comp.. but it looks like someone already did it. trying to get away from rock covers, what are the essentials in this genre? dutch rhythm steel & show band - down by the riverflambeaux steel band - evil waysesso - i want you backjohn gibbs + u.s. steel orchestra - trinidad20th century steel band - heaven and hell is on earth

Comments

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Trinidad Tripoli Steel Band version of Cissy Strut is decent.There is another one, I forget...Has these white kids from Canada doing a version of Cissy Strut.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

A one-tracker but I'm feeling this.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    carl mcknight is pretty much my jams
    until somebody cooler walks in the room and I have to go ice grill and pretend it's not

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ORIGINAL TROPICANA STEEL BAND IS ESSENTIAL.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

Funky b-boy breaks yo.

• Isn't there an awesome steel band version of Hot Pants Rd on a Jamaican private pressing?

Think the LP's called "Down To Earth" - though can't for the life of me remember the artist - anyone know?

As for 20th Century, I always thought the track "No. 1" was the best one on that LP.

www.myspace.com/ricardosevere

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    ORIGINAL TROPICANA STEEL BAND IS ESSENTIAL.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    The Sapodilla Punch LP is pretty tight.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    this one is fire

http://www.yousendit.com/download/WnBTaklqY1N0d0VLSkE9PQ

the bacao rhythm & steel band - pimp

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Carl McKnight's "Devil Is Out Tonight" LP is everywhere in Los Angeles. I understand there is a single version which has stronger drums. For all those who are curious, here's his version of "Ain't No Sunshine", which is on their other LP. Like most island or steel band records with soul covers, nothing really gets added, though. "Smoke-Fire" has some hot calypso, an MLK tribute and a song called "Pusherman", unrelated to Curtis.

• Funky b-boy breaks yo.

I have a copy of this up in the sale in the classifieds right now. Sorry for the shameless self-promotion.

• Isn't there an awesome steel band version of Hot Pants Rd on a Jamaican private pressing?

Think the LP's called "Down To Earth" - though can't for the life of me remember the artist - anyone know?

It's the Sylvania Steel Orchestra or something like that. There's also a very good version of Fela's "Black Man's Cry" on it too.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Trinidad Tripoli Steel Band version of Cissy Strut is decent.There is another one, I forget...Has these white kids from Canada doing a version of Cissy Strut.

He means this one:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review.php?item_id=1833

• ageage 1,131 Posts

yup, that's the one!!!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    This one is dope. "If You Feel Like Dancing" is the sure shot winner.

• I am completely tired and about to crash, but here are a few favorites, some tragic, others genuinely good...

Aforementioned cover of Hot Pants Road

Really solid cover of Do Your Thing (Isaac would be proud)

Gwen McRae cover... probably the best bang-for-the-buck record here. Also features covers of Funky Stuff and Caterpillar.

Cover of NT. Also features an unspeakably tragic, out of tune version of What???s Going On.

Simple Song

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Cover of NT. Also features an unspeakably tragic, out of tune version of What???s Going On.

This one is a trip.

• This one is a trip.

You should hear the what's going on and kool is back covers.
    Really breaking into "real people" territory!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Gwen McRae cover... probably the best bang-for-the-buck record here. Also features covers of Funky Stuff and Caterpillar.

yeah,this is a good one...

• Trinidad Tripoli Steel Band version of Cissy Strut is decent.

Same album also has a solid version of "Spinning Wheel."

Cosign on the Tropicana LP - essential.

The Amral LP Ariel posted is