~Fashion Strut: Denim Shirts~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I've been seeing mad heads bringing back the Denim Shirt. It was always pretty wack in my book, but I'm wondering why the upsurge?Ironic cowboy chic? Soccer Dad Fashion Icon?Please to comment on your local denim shirt experience.

Comments

• I don't have any local denim shirt experience. Wish I could help.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I think what you're seeing is "chambray" shirts - not denim shirts. Subtle distinction. It's a classic workwear look - see dude on the left.

• YES

YES

NO

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    the SPCA that I used to work at made denim shirts, at one point they were part of the uniform. Fortunately, that passed before I started working there but many people still rocked them.

I personally ride for this look

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I say, If you can find a nice one, go for it. However, I've never seen a nice one. I know they're out there -- I might even wear that shirt in the NYT pic -- but I have never seen one in a store, although maybe that's another instance of shopping < digging[/b], and I am not getting my cuticiles bloody enough to be able to celebrate the denim button-up.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I think what you're seeing is "chambray" shirts - not denim shirts. Subtle distinction. It's a class workwear look - see dude on the left.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is.

The work wear thing has been going on for quite some time though.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    North Face doublename collabo denim shirts coming soon?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    when I think of denim shirts, I think of those work shirts that rob reiner used to rock on All In The Family: . next to this, that shirt in that first post with the logo on it looks straight-up bourgie.

• Japanese denim fetishists over at this place turn out a nice 'work shirt', buuuuut it's $210.

http://blueingreensoho.com

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    This 80s throwback movement is really gonna turn some people OUT.

Airbrush Bizzo, International Record Balleur on the back, with rhinestone accents.

DO IT

• North Face doublename collabo denim shirts coming soon?

and you'll be right in-line waiting to get a limited edition one.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I have a beautiful dark denim shirt with snap pearl buttons, fitted in the right places and thick and thin enough to wear all year round. You can rock it grey parachute pants or a summer skirt or cords and it all works. Absolute YAY.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Canadian Tuxedo.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I own 2 denim jokers.

And both are FLY.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Canadian Tuxedo.

No doubt...U cant rock them w/ denim pants.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    U cant rock them w/ denim pants.

the truth

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Well, only if you're Bob Marley you can.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

If that guy on the left turned up to a construction site like that I do believe he'd get his ass kicked.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    i have one that's at least 15 years old I'll probably rock it ten years from now.

• i had to wear one (well faux denim) to work when i was at the video store.....def nagl...well on me at least. un4tunately here, i am yet to see a good example of one!!

• Ha!

More pics of Robert Redford please.

Here is my cousin JoJo in a canadian tux in it's heyday for this era, probably 99 I'm guessing. He looks ridiculous, saggy era over Thank God, but now that the photo makes me laugh I'm not mad at it.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Canadian Tuxedo.

No doubt...U cant rock them w/ denim pants.

But only if you got a denim blazer as well.

Never seen one from them but I have to believe that if any brand is pulling it off its Rogan (or the thrift).

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    MAKE IT HOT.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Ha!

More pics of Robert Redford please.

Here is my cousin JoJo in a canadian tux in it's heyday for this era, probably 99 I'm guessing. He looks ridiculous, saggy era over Thank God, but now that the photo makes me laugh I'm not mad at it.

That looks like a jacket, rather than a shirt

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I rock my denim jacket with jeans, but only the ones that match in color.

People have called it a "canadian tuxedo" when I wear it, but I like it.

I've never owned or worn a denim shirt.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    This 80s throwback movement is really gonna turn some people OUT. longer-lasting than the 80s themselves

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Canadian Mexican Hip Hop Tuxedo.

Beat you to it, Day.

• Canadian Tuxedo.

I just recently learned of this term, and it is awesome.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Oh hell yes, those thin joints are the word.