RIP Ron Asheton

loudwizardloudwizard 358 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Stooges' guitarist Ron Asheton found dead in his Ann Arbor homeby Art Aisner | The Ann Arbor News Tuesday January 06, 2009, 8:28 AMFamed rock-and-roll guitarist and longtime Ann Arbor resident Ronald "Ron" Asheton was found dead in his home on the city's west side this morning, police said.Asheton, 60, was an original member of The Stooges, a garage-rock band headlined by Iggy Pop and formed in Ann Arbor in 1967.Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton was found dead early today in his Ann Arbor home.His personal assistant contacted police late Monday night after being unable to reach Asheton for days, Detective Bill Stanford said. Officers went to the home on Highlake Avenue at around midnight and discovered Asheton's body on a living-room couch. He appeared to have been dead for at least several days, Stanford said. Detective Sgt. Jim Stephenson said the cause of death is undetermined but investigators do not suspect foul play. Autopsy and toxicology results are pending. Asheton was born in Washington, D.C. His brother, Scott, who lives in Florida, is the band's drummer.In 2007, The Stooges reunited and released "The Weirdness," their first album in three decades. Asked how it felt to be back with The Stooges, Asheton told The News in an interview that year that it was "great to be back on the road."The Stooges were part of a 1960s music scene in Ann Arbor that included such bands as the MC5, Bob Seger, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, and The Rationals.http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2009/01/stooges_guitarist_ron_asheton.html

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    God damn.

RIP Ron, one of God's own prototypes. At least he got to revive the Stooges before he went, go out with a bit of the old gusto. Talk about a guy who stuck to his guns.

All the respect in the world, best wishes to his family.

• RIP to a legend.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    God damn.

RIP Ron, one of God's own prototypes. At least he got to revive the Stooges before he went, go out with a bit of the old gusto. Talk about a guy who stuck to his guns.

All the respect in the world, best wishes to his family.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

RIP to a legend and one of the most likable guys in rock history

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i knew it was gonna be a weird day today when i opened my inbox and saw four different e-mails telling me about ron asheton. R.I.P.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

RIP to a legend and one of the most likable guys in rock history

yeah, in any of those oral history things when he is interviewed, he always comes across as very cool and levelheaded, like a super nice guy to hang out with...

but, yeah, i mean for the fuzztone solo on No Fun alone, GOAT...

RIP

• RIP

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Creator of some of the most searing guitar licks ever. R.I.P.

And I know it's always a "bad look" to say this, but I am honestly
    glad I decided to catch that Stooges tour last year and see him do his
    thing when I had my chance. It was a very important moment for me.

• RIP to a man who definitely left his mark on the world.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    RIP to one of the architects of punk.