Remove cell phone interference - Help needed

JRootJRoot 861 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Any of you audio technological types know how to remove cell phone interference from a digital audio recording? Here's the deal. My aunt died unexpectedly two weeks ago tomorrow and my mom couldn't make it to the funeral in Chicago last Wednesday due to bad winter weather both in the pacific northwest and in Chicago. She knew this might emerge as a problem so she asked me to make an audio recording of the funeral.Minidisc player in hand, with microphones attached to the lapels of my funeral suit, I got a decent recording -- the levels are a little low, but I can use the ghetto boost through audacity to make it sound pretty good. BUT at several places on the recording I've got cell phone interference. You've all heard it in your car stereos...dit-dit-dit-ditditditditdit-dit...dit... I'd love to get rid of this interference if possible. Nobody wants to hear a radio frequency interference when they're trying to hear a 9 year old reciting a verse from Second Timothy for his dead grandma, you know?Any tips you can share will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance,JRootOh, and I've tried the built-in noise removal on audacity. Doesn't work for cell phone interference because the interference is both too random and too loud.Oh, and I've also tried to flatten it out by hand by zooming in really tight in audacity, but the problem is that the levels are so low I lose sight of the bleeps when I get close enough to make hand edits.Oh, and I'm basically a moron when it comes to sound editing software programs. Thanks.

Comments

• I am sorry for the loss of your family member. Unfortunantly I don't think there is much you can do with this other than some slick eqing. Because cell phone interference takes up a huge frequency range it might be near impossible to completely eliminate the interference.