Atomic Rooster - Gershatzer
    Brian Auger - Don't Look Away

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Two long "breakdown" breaks:

Thing
    Sparrow's Troubadours "Soulful Strut"

• Jimi Hendrix - Second Time Around

40 seconds of grit.

• Doggone. Two parts. not the longest break ever, but you get a tempo change and you also get the jazzy part that is amazing.

for all the beat makers out there...

do you find that you don't do as much with the loooong breaks as you would with a 2 bar break. I always felt somewhat burdened by the ones that go on for like a minute. It's like it's a shame not to use all the parts, but it's also a hassle to use all the parts. But then the 2 bar breaks you grab it all quick and usually end up doing more changes because of the limitations.

In the case of "Doggone", that's a mean ass drum solo with a break that most people sample, but there are elements within that solo (r.i.p. George Survanovich) that are worthy of chopping so it doesn't have to be "the break". There's a nice moment before the tympani solo, and another part during the last two minutes where Suranovich is building up before returning to the theme of the song.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Only redeemable quality from this turd!

• Doggone. Two parts. not the longest break ever, but you get a tempo change and you also get the jazzy part that is amazing.

do you find that you don't do as much with the loooong breaks as you would with a 2 bar break. I always felt somewhat burdened by the ones that go on for like a minute. It's like it's a shame not to use all the parts, but it's also a hassle to use all the parts. But then the 2 bar breaks you grab it all quick and usually end up doing more changes because of the limitations.

In the case of "Doggone", that's a mean ass drum solo with a break that most people sample, but there are elements within that solo (r.i.p. George Survanovich) that are worthy of chopping so it doesn't have to be "the break". There's a nice moment before the tympani solo, and another part during the last two minutes where Suranovich is building up before returning to the theme of the song.

See also Szydowski's "Suite of Three Thousand"

• See also Szydowski's "Suite of Three Thousand"

Will do.

Jimi Hendrix - Second Time Around

40 seconds of grit.

and another long one on the budget Hendrix tip: "Suspicious"

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    If this were 2001, we'd all be talking about Zalatnay.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Bjarne Rostvold/Perry Knudsen "Magonde (Song For Big Chief)"

Nonstop

oh man... you can say that again... the first time I heard that shit my neck nearly snapped off...

It was on a compilation but I only have the mp3s .. i think it was called 'Nordic Jazz funk' but I don't know if that is the actual name of the comp.

here's an unknown big band breakface that I picked up about a week ago: cover of "shining star". I played it for a couple friends and we started laughing at how long the break went on for....

sorry... no name of the record yet..

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Bjarne Rostvold/Perry Knudsen "Magonde (Song For Big Chief)"

Nonstop

here's an unknown big band breakface that I picked up about a week ago: cover of "shining star". I played it for a couple friends and we started laughing at how long the break went on for....

sorry... no name of the record yet..

I love that break! Although it def not unknown. Dudes were blowing up the wants board last year looking/asking for it. Wifey is an alumni!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Zalatnay doesn't have eight bar breaks though. At least not the albums of hers I'm thinking of.

here's an unknown big band breakface that I picked up about a week ago: cover of "shining star".

I love that break! Although it def not unknown. Dudes were blowing up the wants board last year looking/asking for it. Wifey is an alumni!

I've heard this somewhere before. Did someone use it in a mix?

here's an unknown big band breakface that I picked up about a week ago: cover of "shining star".

I've heard this somewhere before. Did someone use it in a mix?

I'll ask the real question: so what album is this from?

• Jean Jaques Perry- E.V.A. entire song is break!

Jean Jaques Perry- E.V.A. entire song is break!

Well sheeyit, if we're going that route: "Mardi Gras" (with or without the bells!)

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Whats that Lee Michaels gernt?

Nice one...It makes sense that someone would know it, the rest of the LP is nice too...great arrangements and it's recorded well. $3 well spent i'd say

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Jean Jaques Perry- E.V.A. entire song is break!

???????????

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Yeah, I'm kinda the same way. I feel sort of obligated to use all the little change-ups and variations because like you say, it'd be a shame to just leave them on the cutting room floor. But there's can be a fun challenge in that, too, trying to figure out a way to use all the parts without having it come across as gratuitous.

Also, another cool long break: Cozy Cole--"Topsy Part II"

• Shubidua

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Shubidua

Yes. Love this one.

Yeah, I'm kinda the same way. I feel sort of obligated to use all the little change-ups and variations because like you say, it'd be a shame to just leave them on the cutting room floor. But there's can be a fun challenge in that, too, trying to figure out a way to use all the parts without having it come across as gratuitous.

Also, another cool long break: Cozy Cole--"Topsy Part II"

I hear you! I always like to try to find a way to make the best full use of a long break , sometimes I'll just go right back to a 2 bar section but one example where I remember trying to use most of a break was for this beat/song (i did it in 2003 if I remember right..maybe earlier) . I used the port authority drums (this was in more of my moody downtempo beatmaking era...ecm records for dayz & cool edit pro son! but mpc 2000 for drum programming)

• What's the "big South Korean break album" one? Inform.

• nice mid tempo Hip HOp sounding ones that haven't been mentioned yet, as the list could go on for awhile with all the bboy uptempo ones:

marc moulin
    string beat
    Head West
    vibes from the tribe: ranelin
    1000 Rads: Axelrod
    upon this rock: joe farrell
    do you believe: webster Lewis
    kissing my love
    music makers 'percussion' lp
    God made Me Funkayyyy-headhunters
    willis jackson--ain't no sunshine
    trans europe express
    8 counts for rita
    survival-annete peacock
    night is blues-hi fi performance
    there's a long one on drama suite vol.2
    multiple ones on hard hitter

• if it doesn't have to be raw drums all the way through, then this is quite nice too....

If anyone needs a copy of shubidua, I have enough copies to sell...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    if it doesn't have to be raw drums all the way through, then this is quite nice too....

If anyone needs a copy of shubidua, I have enough copies to sell...

What is this again?? Sounds very familiar.

I just remembered this:

Manteca- "Afro Funky" (4.5 minutes of latin funk breakswith some nice bass work on top)

nice mid tempo Hip HOp sounding ones that haven't been mentioned yet, as the list could go on for awhile with all the bboy uptempo ones:

Let's take it in the B-Boy direction:

Ben and the Platano Group- "Platano Split"
    Anyone got a spare of this??

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

How about these?

-"Soul Pride"-James Brown
    -cosign on "8 Counts for Rita"
    -"Sing Sing"-GAZ.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    This one??

I just found a 320kbps rip of this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/128059494/tdpslbm.rar

pw: for_music_pleasure

Bellissimo!!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i've got a copy of this up for trades if anyone needs it, along the lines of the lp above.

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1247723&page=0&vc=#Post1247723