The Definition Of A Bad Day (Pics Included)

izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
My whole body is shakin like i got Parkinson decease. I don"t even know WHY i'm posting this shit here, but i guess i need people to rub my back a bit.
Remember when Q-Tip lost his mind over the fire that took place in his basement...Well, i've now experienced the same thing, on a european level...

I didn't have 10.000 records because i already did separate the gems from the bins three years ago.I had like 3000 pieces and kept 1500 (mostly soul and library gems that i either already sampled or that i planned to sample). Luckily (well, no, it wasn't a luck really), i found a basement to store it. But when i say "basement", i really mean it. In Europe, basements are nasty. Basements are from the WWII and they never was reshaped or rebuilt. But i saw that the place was dry so i didn't have to fear mildew and all types of bad conditions. I decided to leave my records there...One year, two year, then we enter the third...
Since my schedule was kinda tight this last year, i didn't bother to check the basement or nothing. Now why a mofocker decided that he needed my boxes?? I dunno...But a dude came and took the records out of the boxes and left all the vinyls piled up with no protection??? I know it's my fault, because i trusted people when they told me i didn't have to put special locks. The door was easy to open, but since it was part of a building "under surveillance", i didn't bother...Shame on me.
At this point of the story, no harm was done. I could have saved the whole collection at that time, but i didn't check my records until last week. And what do i discover??? A flood took place three months ago, during the heavy rain period we went thru. The wall was too old, bricks was rotten and the water went in and stayed for about a month. Since landlords are bitches, they didnt bother warning people or whatsover and they didn't even clean the basements until now. Two days ago, i had to go over there and clean. That's when my eyes couldn't believe it. I lost around 1200 pieces, around 25.000$ worth of merchandise. I couldn't save ONE hip-hop vinyl. ALL my hip-hop collection is gone, no more 12", no more LPs. ALL my soul game is gone (my Greg Perry's, my Leon Ware's, my Dozier's, etc...). I almost cried. This was all the vinyls i bought when i was a teenager. It's a bad experience to go thru...Here's the pictures :

Poor Bobby, Melba, Margie, etc...

Yeah, it's that Blahzay Blah 12", sniff :

This is all i could save :

The only thing that makes me rejoice is that i kept what i bought these last years at home, so i got a lot of safe crates left. I have my 1000+ libs collection with me, some soul jawns are still here too. I can't complain since i've backed up on HD like 150GB of Soul and OSTs. So maybe i can mourn in silence. I don't have to pour no alcohol over it i guess. AND i won't have to worry about carrying them bitches with me when i move...lol. I closed a chapter of my life right here anyway. I hope nothing like this will happen to one of y'all (knowing that it only occurs when you have storage problems really)...Peace.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Poor Bobby, Melba, Margie, etc...

...and poor Everyday People.

Sorry to hear about this.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    wow! that sucks! I'm sorry...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    damn, that is some definately sad shit. aside from the dollar worth, the sentimental value is definately the hardest to swallow, glad your putting a positive spin on it, closing a chapter of your life, and, hey, a lighter load to haul on moving day

stay up.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    fuuuuuucckkkk

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Damn I'm really sorry to hear that.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    That sucks.
    Can you post a list of some of the things that you lost(and would like to have back) that some of us on this board might be able to send you? Seriously, stuff like that Jean Carn are forever $1 records around DC, and I think a digger drive would not be out of the question. Let us know, bro.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    That hurts just to look at. Sorry about your loss.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    and I think a digger drive would not be out of the question. Let us know, bro.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    That sucks.
    Can you post a list of some of the things that you lost(and would like to have back) that some of us on this board might be able to send you? Seriously, stuff like that Jean Carn are forever $1 records around DC, and I think a digger drive would not be out of the question. Let us know, bro.

good idea. I'd pitch in.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    That sucks.

good idea. I'd pitch in.

me, too.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

RIP

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    That's every digger/music lover's nightmare come true. Respect for taking it like a man. And you know why you are posting it here. Because this IS the place to share experiences like this.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I almost cried.

mang, reading this thread makes me wanna cry.. first the horror then all the fine peeps of SS offering help. Thats a good look folks.

If you need any dutch clog music let me know, I'd be happy to help.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    That sucks.

good idea. I'd pitch in.

me, too.

Me too, I got a few hip hop doubles I can spare and I can look for stuff for you here in LA as well. Put up a list.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Y'all responses was really balm for my heart...Thx for the support.

Your idea is TOTALLY blazin'. I think i can write down a list then i will wire the money. It should be a 100 records deep minimum, maybe a lil bit more...Specially the Gladys Knights. I can't live without some of her LPs. I will holla back on that. You can bet on that. PROPS man. Damn, i even lost my Space record with the Jake sample. Shit...Gil-Scott. Norman Whitfield...

To thank y'all, event tho' it's a small satisfaction, i will post some hard-to-get MP3 and also some beats...That will makes me forget a bit.

PS : i dont realize yet, but i lost so much. My Runaway Slave copy, my Real Live copy,etc...

• djdepositdjdeposit 224 Posts
    worst

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    Sorry to hear it man.....

• I'm in.

Write everything down that pops into your headand try to create an in-depth list of what you lost.

Then post it.

and records will begin to re-appear....

• slushslush 691 Posts
    sucks man, i feel for you

same thing happened to all of my collection from 97-2001.... Left my basement appartment for a week during thanksgiving and came back to a submerged bedroom. I kept a couple records for memory's sake but they were pretty much lagooned

it was liberating i guess but ive spent stupid money on some stupid records just to have them back. you seem way more zen about it than i was...

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    That's every digger/music lover's nightmare come true. Respect for taking it like a man. And you know why you are posting it here. Because this IS the place to share experiences like this.

You no check PM?

- J

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Specially the Gladys Knights. I can't live without some of her LPs. I will holla back on that. You can bet on that. PROPS man. Damn, i even lost my Space record with the Jake sample. Shit...Gil-Scott. Norman Whitfield...

seriously, I think we can help you on some of this, I probably have doubles of several Gil Scott-Heron LPs and Gladys stuff is pretty common...feel free to PM too(can't promise how fast, but happy to help if I can)

• BuddahBuddah 23 Posts
    Curiously, a while ago i posted a story on my blog with a story envolving records and a flooded basement. I met this guy in a flea market and i bought several really nice records from him. He told me he had several thousand more stored at his place. It took me some months to talk the guy into letting me into his basement and when we finally agreed on a date i dropped by only to find the place had been flooded 3 or 4 days earlier.
    Damn, this is a sad story. Hope you can recover!

• strikeskistrikeski 95 Posts
    I always fear shit like this happening, I always keep my records upstairs, then again I dont have as many as some of you guys...
    Anyway IZM, I hope you recover from this...
    peace

• I had three boxes of records shipped via UPS to my back doorstep in the pouring rain!! UPS haas never in 11 years delivered to my back doorstep. I came home from college last summer to find them there and literally a soaking wet pigeon staring at me not moving on the same set of steps. There are no pigeons in my neighborhood, it was very surreal to say the least as I threw a tantrum worthy of willy wonkas kids, I ran inside the house screaming, I had 600 in insurance on the records, which after much bitching and I received, and in the end all that was damaged was several album covers.

My question is this? I was able to dry out many of my records, even though they were sitting in pouring rain for hours. Perhaps when all is dried up your cases will be the only thing ruined? If they have already started to warp then I apologize, but you'd be surprised how wet a case can get and not effect the actual record.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    I am truely sorry, this is a nightmare for most of us and I can't imagine how it must feel to live it. Just remember that you're still around to enjoy life and the records will come again with time.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    That hurts just to look at. Sorry about your loss.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I feel for you. A year and a half ago or so this kind of happened to me. My basement flooded, and it just so happened I had a ton of raer shit on the ground without sleeves. I only lost 200 or so pieces, but the real kicker was when one of the samples I needed to clear for Interscope was involved. The water completly removed the label *AND* ruined the jacked so I had no idea who to clear the lp with. I had to search up and down and ended up paying too much for another copy, only because I needed the publishing ASAP. I didn't know anyone else with the lp.

Still, although my loss wasn't as big as yours...I feel for you. It was a terrible feeling

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    man that hurts, I think I heard a collective wince.
    I've got a spare 'Revolution will not be Televised', not in top-nick as they say, but I'd be glad to send it to you.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    make a list for sure... i feel your pain. i lost 3000 or so records 6mths or so back due to rains out here and a back door to the basement breaking open...

i wont front... i cried a little. all rap records from 88-95 got water drenched. 8inches off the ground came through like a flood and fucked those shits up.

anyway... keep your chin up and be thankful that only records were lost and not anything more important.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    haha, i'm gonna say something nasty, but i'm actually GLAD that it happened to somebody else. I feel less unique and dumb!!!