ROXY MUSIC yay or nay

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
hell yay for meb, 21b, 21Out of the Blueb, 21Do the Strandb, 21For Your Pleasureb, 21Love is the Drugb, 21More Than Thisb, 21Remake/ Re Modelb, 21Virginia Plainb, 21Same Old Sceneb, 21Both Ends Burningb, 21Avalonb, 21Ladytronb, 21Pyjamaramab, 21Tryptychb, 21Editions of Youb, 21Whirlwindb, 21Casanovab, 21Mother of Pearlb, 21b, 21= unfuckwitable songsb, 21b, 21param name="movie" value=""1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21and i think bryan ferry is still dreamy. i can't believe jerry hall dissed him for mick jagger.

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Hell yes! Big RM and Ferry fan. I celebrate the entire catalog, incl. the less celebrated releases; Ferry's Mamouna album and the Manifesto LP from 79 are underrated gems IMO.

• yeah i was into eno first as well, i don't remember when i started to like roxy music but there was def a long period because i hated ferry's spastic vocals for the longest time. b, 21b, 21i remember one day years back, a coworker brought in a newspaper and showed me this story about a group of passengers overpowering some thugs who were hijacking a flight to africa. in the photo, there were a bunch of civilians pinning the hijacker to the floor and bryan ferry was in the back of the chaos looking directly into the camera really surprised. i couldn't help but think "yeah...that's makes sense".

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    YAY

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Yay.

• I like this one. I don't know the whole catalog, but I like this one. b, 21b, 21

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yay, but in small doses.b, 21b, 21I love hearing a Roxy Music song, but have a hard timeb, 21sitting through an entire album.b, 21b, 21Love is the Drug/Both Ends Burning is a great 2-sided 45b, 21that I get much use out of at home and elsewhere.b, 21b, 21A good friend always tries to sell me on Ferry solo LP's,b, 21puts his covers of songs on mixtapes, etc, but I've neverb, 21been all that moved by them. I did like his solo 80's hitsb, 21at the time, like "Slave to Love" and all.

• mega yay.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Eno era definitely, later not so much. b, 21b, 21b, 21this song is my shit thoughb, 21param name="movie" value=""1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• The early stuff is cool. But towards the end it really started to get "adult contemporary" with songs like "avalon" and "more than this" everytime I hear those songs I cringe.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I wish more adult contemporary sounded like More Than This. I ride for that song.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21The early stuff is cool. But towards the end it really started to get "adult contemporary" with songs like "avalon" and "more than this" everytime I hear those songs I cringe. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21LOLb, 21Given that Ferry was about to reach his forties at that time, 'adult contemporary' seems a completely appropriate route to take.b, 21What did you want him to do? Kiddy pop perhaps? New jack swing? Go-go?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21I like this one. I don't know the whole catalog, but I like this one. b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I love the song, In Every Dream Home a Heartache. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sn.gif" alt="" /1b, 21How can you hate any song about blow up sex dolls? Right?

• yay for days. "the bogus man" is one of my current i-have-to-listen-to-this-song-every-might-before-go-to-bed songs.

• Hell Yay

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I hate hate hate Bryan Ferry's vocals. Otherwise I'd be checking for them a lot more.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Hells yes to the first few, haven't gotten around to listening to the later stuff. Cosine In Every Dream Home A Heartache. Soooooooooooo good.b, 21b, 21param name="movie" value=""1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Hell YAY. First gig I ever went to, in March 1973, was a Roxy Music show. They were touring the For Your Pleasure album and Eno was still with the band. During the encore, they performed Virginia Plain and Eno's synth had broken down, so he sang the synth solo.b, 21b, 21I ride for pretty much all of it. There's a couple of tunes on "Siren" which I didn't especially like, but I should probably go back to that, as I haven't listened to it at all for a long time. Even the later post-reunion, smoothed-out, Grown and Sexy albums like Flesh and Blood or Avalon are full of great moments, and Manifesto is every big as good as peak-era Roxy. One of the greatest and most influential British bands of all time.

• good to see that there's a Roxy Music following here on SS ---- anyone who doesnt love the first two RM LP's must be an earless prick!!!b, 21b, 21 after sifting through most of Ferry's solo stuff to little avail - - i defiantely dig the song "love me madly again" from this album:b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21param name="movie" value=""1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21 the second half of the song is hypnotic mournful disco stuff... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fire.gif" alt="" /1

• Quote:h, 21b, 21good to see that there's a Roxy Music following here on SS ---- anyone who doesnt love the first two RM LP's must be an earless prick!!!b, 21b, 21 after sifting through most of Ferry's solo stuff to little avail - - i defiantely dig the song "love me madly again" from this album:b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21param name="movie" value=""1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21 the second half of the song is hypnotic mournful disco stuff... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fire.gif" alt="" /1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21nice! I wasnt hip to that song, thanks. Man, John Wetton has one of the most distinctive and consistent bass tones of all time...love it.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Hell yeah. Totally enjoy the IYM album; it's like the unofficial link between Siren and Manifesto. If I remember correctly, most of the Roxy Music players are featured on it.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21The early stuff is cool. But towards the end it really started to get "adult contemporary" with songs like "avalon" and "more than this" everytime I hear those songs I cringe. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I wished more "adult contempo" sounded like More Than This. I don't think I could ever get sick of hearing it in public places. i didn't like Lost in Translation but when it got to that scene where Bill Murray sings it during karaoke, i was in heaven. it almost made that movie not suck for me because there was 2 of my favorite things crossing paths in a never-likely way and i couldn't help but be suckered into sentimental stupidland.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21Hell YAY. First gig I ever went to, in March 1973, was a Roxy Music show. They were touring the For Your Pleasure album and Eno was still with the band. During the encore, they performed Virginia Plain and Eno's synth had broken down, so he sang the synth solo. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I envy you - this is my favorite period. I highly recommend the Roxy Music/T-Rex Musikladen dvd if you haven't seen it. b, 21b, 21They are still good after all these years though. Even when mtv aired their set in Berlin for the Live 8 concerts a few years ago, they did a facemelting grown version of "Love is the Drug" and "Do the Strand" that was filled out with back up singers and lots of horns and was very entertaining. i was relieved to see that not only were they still at the top of their game, but they knew exactly what it took to make it epic for old heads. i wish i could find video of thatb, 21b, 21there's this thoughb, 21

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    Yay

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    yay.b, 21b, 21in small doses.b, 21b, 21Ferry's son is a right cunt.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yayb, 21especially for mother of pearl

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21good to see that there's a Roxy Music following here on SS ---- anyone who doesnt love the first two RM LP's must be an earless prick!!!b, 21b, 21 after sifting through most of Ferry's solo stuff to little avail - - i defiantely dig the song "love me madly again" from this album:b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21 the second half of the song is hypnotic mournful disco stuff... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fire.gif" alt="" /1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21nice! I wasnt hip to that song, thanks. Man, John Wetton has one of the most distinctive and consistent bass tones of all time...love it. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21holy shit, I just watched this. the rhythm section is killing it!!!b, 21b, 21thanks for posting, this made my week

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 Even when mtv aired their set in Berlin for the Live 8 concerts a few years ago, they did a facemelting grown version of "Love is the Drug" and "Do the Strand" that was filled out with back up singers and lots of horns and was very entertaining.b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21that entire set was amazing... for some sick reason i stayed home (depression? nostalgia for the being 6 and watching the first one?) that day and watched basically the whole thing and Roxy Music was by far the best act of the day... (suprisenly the Cure were pretty good, too)b, 21b, 21they also did a nice version of Jealous Guy that set...b, 21b, 21Bryan Ferry has like a million solo records it seems... i heard bits from a sorta trad jazz one a few years ago where he did a really GREAT version of "Lover, Come Back to Me" (my fav Billie Holiday tune)...b, 21b, 21i did this one alot, too:b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21was reading some dumb british magazine a few years back and they had an article about posh women liking "a bit of rough" and one of the examples was Ferry being involved with Lady Fairtinkle-Mayweather (17th Duchess of Shropshire) or whatever some totally useless minor bit of aristocracy and it cracked me up, b/c in the states Ferry is scene as like the ultimate in jetsetter lounge lizard style and would never be seen as common or everyday... ah, old money...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    OH HELLS YAY...b, 21b, 21/object1