the ugliness that is xmas will sonn be upon us

Comments

• i buy gifts for about 5-9 people. my girl, my folks, 2-3 of my closest DUDES, and a boss/co-worker (if i'm working).

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21For more than 12 years we have been going to the same hotel on the Oregon Coast. Sit by the fire, watch the storms roll in. No family. No presents. No decorations (actually we usually take all the ornaments folks have given us over the years and spread them on the table.)b, 21b, 21Just us 2, the cat and the dog. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21.b, 21b, 21That sounds depressing man, but peaceful at the same time.b, 21b, 21I look forward to Christmas, people with illegal smiles everywhere, kids running rapid, old stories told, see old friends, I always have the image of Christmas as its displayed on Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut".

• My wife and I are spending this holiday at home instead of traveling to see my family. Just the two of us a roaring fire, good booze, great food and no family bs.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    F*ck you haters. I love Christmas. My mom is a big xmas person so I grew up with it being the coolest time of the year. We never got too crazy with presents and we always give thoughtful stuff, not just crap. Good food, happy family, snow, fire in the fireplace. what's not to like??b, 21b, 21plus Christmas in New Mexico is really beautiful.

• i love. i don't really follow christianity, and some of my relatives can't understand why i don't care for the concept of christmas when we're not even celebrating its "true" meaning. let's just have fun together for christ's sake!b, 21b, 21i actually kinda like going out and shopping. a lot of fly chicks are out at once so i can holler at em while buying presents for another.b, 21b, 21also we spend ours at my aunt & uncle's house [every year] where i went to H.S. at, so i usually get to see all the people i don't care about from H.S. out at the bars that are home too. our family; well our parents, grandparents, what-have-you are pretty conservative, yet we usually eat popeyes at the house [my aunt & uncle's, he's a circuit judge] so that always makes me laugh. me & my cousins usually get a hotel downtown and derel it up though. b, 21b, 21best part is chilling out with the girl over at her parents house. chilling on the couch, petting the cat, drinking beers, running errands at the local grocer for her mom. pretty much the highlight of the season.b, 21b, 21well that ^ and kicking it with my grandma. born & raised in fishtown always img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/know.gif" alt="" 21

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    last year was our first year with a child and family members piled things on him. i took it all straight to the goodwill the next day. only because i am constantly buying stuff for him at thrifts, yard/estate sales and flea markets. as i dig for records. the boy has everything+.b, 21b, 21 i grew up in the materialistic spiritually vacuous broke-up family American 80s. all i remember is being high on mountain dew with piles of star wars crap and playing atari until my eyes sizzled and then being bored as F*ck until school started again.b, 21b, 21i need to figure out what to do and break this cycle.b, 21b, 21i've heard about singing. do people really do that?b, 21b, 21doing things by the fire sounds nice. like what? i usually just get shitfaced and listen to jazz records.b, 21b, 21what about looking at lights? is that fun?b, 21b, 21setting up the tree. OK.b, 21b, 21i don't know. it all sound like Thanksgiving with a tree.b, 21b, 21I got no Xmas spirit. Help me.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21doing things by the fire sounds nice. like what? i usually just get shitfaced and listen to jazz records.b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21What the F*ck is wrong with this? Put some spirit in your Christmas.

• entertain at home.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    The only thing more annoying than the crazy xmas shit (I really did see a wreath BEFORE Halloween this year) is all the whining about Xmas being "overcommercialized" by "The Corporations"...b, 21b, 21The best thing about it is spelling it "xmas."

• we got our christmas lasagna, ehich is always something to look forward to. things got even better when my pop picked up a plastic tree at a thrift store. for real. no more chopped down tree for three weeks and then throw it out on the curb. that shit is depressing. the plastic tree looks good. i guess it would be even better to plant an evergreen out front so it can be our tree everyyear.b, 21b, 21i like that friends come back home. the college students are all gone and the streets are still on xmas day. i dont ride for all that religious stuff though. but its an important time to acknowledge seasons and go on a long walk with fam. weve been buying a gift or two that everyone in the hose can utilize. plus books and sweaters (used to hate those gifts,now i see the value, haha)

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i can't do the plastic. as people said earlier, that smell is key. we planted an evergreen last year, but it's still small. we have always kept our used xmas tree out in the corner of the yard and by about march it is ready to be cut up and thrown in the fire.

• clip some branches and put them on the radiator.

• F***k, where are you at? Hen-reeco county or some schitt? short pump? i'll bring you some christmas Jameson to spice up your nights of staring at christmas lights burning in your fireplace.

• I love Christmas, best time of the year. You guys need to come down to PR for xmas, parties every night from around the 20th of Dec to the Feast of Saint Sebastian around Jan 20th where we have a huge block party, like 30,000 people in the Old City. Plus, nothing like opening presents and then spending the day at the beach. Its the best, you get to see old friends, eat mad food, house parties everywhere, people singing and dancing on the street. Don't forget Three King's Day, that's the shit too!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Jesus was born on the 25th of December? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yes, absolutely. The pagans stole the 25th from Christians. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21proof please b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21That was sarcasm.b, 21b, 21The Bible doesn't mention the date of Jesus's birth from what I remember, so I'm not sure why you're trying to derail the guy's argument of celebrating the birth of Christ since that's what Christmas is for. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Fun fact: December 25th was co-opted by Christians from the Mithraic cult, which was the most popular religious cult during the formative period of Christianity. December 25th was the birthday of Mithras.b, 21b, 21If Jesus did indeed exist and his birth was indeed surrounded by the events listed in the Bible, such as shepherds tending their flocks and seeing that star and whatnot, he was born in the spring.b, 21b, 21And I like Christmas, but like anything else with such an enormous build-up, you need to stay grounded and in the right frame of mind not to feel a little let down by the whole affair. Christmas Day can be a little anti-climactic after a month and a half of preparation if you let it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Oh, and Christmas, like life, is about people, not stuff.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I love Christmas, best time of the year. You guys need to come down to PR for xmas, parties every night from around the 20th of Dec to the Feast of Saint Sebastian around Jan 20th where we have a huge block party, like 30,000 people in the Old City. Plus, nothing like opening presents and then spending the day at the beach. Its the best, you get to see old friends, eat mad food, house parties everywhere, people singing and dancing on the street. Don't forget Three King's Day, that's the shit too! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21that sounds wonderful.b, 21b, 21I love Christmas too. Not the consumer aspect at all - that part is always stressful. But the ice skating, the smell of fireplace and pines, the feasting, egg nog, lights, carols, Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas on the stereo, the SF Symphony doing Peter and the Wolf or Nutcracker and hanging out with old friends who return to the Bay for family time. Hell, I even enjoy midnight Christmas mass with the fam.b, 21b, 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21The only thing more annoying than the crazy xmas shit (I really did see a wreath BEFORE Halloween this year) is all the whining about Xmas being "overcommercialized" by "The Corporations"...b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21And that includes some of the people in this thread, gettin' all self-righteous because Xmas is being coopted by The Man or some such foolishness. Y'all sound like Linus on that Charlie Brown Xmas special...quit being all fanatical. Yeah, I think Xmas can get out-of-hand too - I realized this last year when I stumbled into an Arby's smack dab in the middle of downtown, and they had the Xmas station on full blast...and it was November but it wasn't even Thanksgiving! But even so, hearing people getting all P.C. and Joan Baez about the shit - i1the holidays are too fascist and commercial, blah blah blah blah blah[/i] - can get tiring too.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    As I get older, the time before Christmas gets less and less magical. I'm not feeling the vibe anymore. I love hanging out with my family so I look forward to going home and kicking it with them. My sister comes back from Seattle and it's all good. We go to church on Christmas Eve to placate the folks. They know my wife and I don't roll like that but they appreciate that we come. I grew up with that stuff (and was a wise man in the pageant one year!) so I don't mind.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas on the stereo, b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I can't stress enough how much this make's my xmas every year.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Halloween to New Years Day shows me some of the worst human behavior ever.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Halloween to New Years Day shows me some of the worst human behavior ever. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Especially Halloween where grown friggin' adults put on costumes and make believe they are Super Heroes and shit.b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bbb.gif" alt="" 21

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Halloween to New Years Day shows me some of the worst human behavior ever. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21and some of the best...it's definitely a time of extremes and I would imagine way harder to avoid the bullshit in a city like NY, but still...just looking around the city in the winter around Christmas time, especially at night with all the lights and shit. Brings a smile to my face. b, 21b, 21Tradition and memories associated with it bring on a happy nostalgia that I can't help but just dig unconditionally.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    /object1

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Halloween to New Years Day shows me some of the worst human behavior ever. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Especially Halloween where grown friggin' adults put on costumes and make believe they are Super Heroes and shit.b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bbb.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Im a superhero all year.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Oh, and Christmas, like life, is about stuff, and more stuff. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21And drivers start losing it this time of year. Gottagettothemallgottagettothemallgottagettothemallb, 21b, 21For more than 12 years we have been going to the same hotel on the Oregon Coast. Sit by the fire, watch the storms roll in. No family. No presents. No decorations (actually we usually take all the ornaments folks have given us over the years and spread them on the table.)b, 21b, 21Just us 2, the cat and the dog. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21dan, you bring the cat with you to the coast??? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Mr Gray is a great car cat. He used to hide under the bed for the first 2 days, but now he is trying to get outside before we even have the car unpacked.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21For more than 12 years we have been going to the same hotel on the Oregon Coast. Sit by the fire, watch the storms roll in. No family. No presents. No decorations (actually we usually take all the ornaments folks have given us over the years and spread them on the table.)b, 21b, 21Just us 2, the cat and the dog. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21.b, 21b, 21That sounds depressing man, but peaceful at the same time.b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21In no way depressing. b, 21b, 21We escape from all the craziness for a few days.b, 21b, 21I have no xmas traditions as I have never celebrated xmas in my life. b, 21b, 21Yeah, I've lived with roommates who got trees and opened presents on xmas morning, I've gone to the street with all the lights, I have shopped, I have watched It's a wonderful life and Charlie Brown, I have worked in soup kitchens, I've had turkeys and ham at friends houses. But none of that means a thing to me. You can keep it.

• the only thing i truly hate about xmas is that a week prior to thanksgiving my favorite radio station kost-fm lite rock less talk switches to a all xmas songs all day long until new years. i dont mind xmas music, in fact im a YAY. but all fucken day? they literally have to dredge up some real fucked up shit to keep it fresh everyday to the point where its like gaddam reba mcintire and dude from 3rd eye blind duets of xmas is here bring in the cheer song. and it totally kills my lite rock buzz. also, they can the best part of kost-fm, lovesongs after dark with kaaaaaren shaaa aaarp! dudes, seriously this is the dopest shit ever and i just found out they have some audio downloads of what im talking about. the sweet azz dedications. this show kills it with the dedications man i could listen to these gems for hours!b, 21b, 21http://www.kost1035.com/pages/lovesongs//a1

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21Go shopping less and you'll be fine. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21this is true in life generally. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Nobody ever sez this when they're flossing their Weekend Finds... b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21daaaamn... you realize how easy xmas shopping would be if everybody on your list just wanted used records?b, 21b, 21b/w b, 21b, 21finding weekend finds isnt what feels like "shopping" to me. looking for records relieves stress, shopping causes it.