what was your FIRST JOB

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
i worked at long beach convention center in food service selling hot dogs, popcorn etc at concert events at age 17.b, 21peace, stein. . . img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,b, 21b, 21At 15 years old, I bagged groceries at the Ft. Bragg (NC) commissary for tips. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Peace,b, 21b, 21Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Children's Discovery Museum in San Jose at 17. b, 21b, 21I walked around and made sure the exhibits worked. I taught myself how to juggle because one of the exhibits had about 100 tennis balls in it and they'd fall out all the time. I kept trying and finally taught myself how to juggle.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Milk Boy, running around with milk bottles and shit.b, 21b, 21Did that for like 5 years through half of high school!

• at fifteen.. b, 21b, 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21Did that for like 5 years through half of high school! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21damn, the 10 year high school plan. You done yet?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Had one at 14 washing dishes for this pastry cafe place.b, 21b, 21Quit after a couple of weeks when I was told to clear outb, 21a roach nest under the sink. After that had this awful jobb, 21bundling Sunday papers with a bunch of kids I didn't like fromb, 21a crosstown school. Finally had an OK gig working the counter at anb, 21Au Bon Pain cafe out in Harvard Sq when I was 15. Would blow most ofb, 21my $75 paycheck on Fridays at Second Coming records down the street.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Paper route. Suuuuuuuucked. Age 13 or so.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    12-13=picking strawberries for pennies an hour.b, 2114=working at the car wash.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Worked at Top-Valu, a mom-and-pop grocery store, when I was 15. I had to clean the butcher room, which was foul. The band saw stank of funky bone marrow. I was fired the day California minimum wage was raised from $3.35 to $4.25. They folded up a few months later anyhow.

• Age 15, working in a warehouse taking things out of one box, and putting them into another.b, 21b, 21Unpacking a shipping container that had been sitting in the 40/100 degree sun all day was what made me realise I need to get my shit together at school so i wasn't still unpacking containers in the sun aged 55.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    i was in big stacks line of work. commissary bagger for tips from13-16. I made good money and had the best organized grocery bags ever. women would request my bagging abilities. I miss those days.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21Did that for like 5 years through half of high school! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21damn, the 10 year high school plan. You done yet? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Waut, that's more than half of high school then... close to 3/4?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 women would request my bagging abilities. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21oh hell yes

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Host/Bus Boy @ Marie Calendar's - nothing but cheap ass old people and shitty food (except for the cornbread). The cooks called me "westside" cause I would clown on their love of medicore to poor west coast hip hop.

• At 15 I worked at Johnny's Bicycle Shop in Shreveport.

• Worked selling clothes at my ma's clothing store on sundays for $50 for a full days work at the age of 10....slave labour for sho! The jackets i sold were $120each!!b, 21b, 21But fave job was at a video store from 16 to 20!

• i was a paper boy when i was 13

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Winchester Skate Shop in Campbell, CA. I was 14.b, 21Simon Woodstock and family were nice enough to let me work there and then after that, Gremic Skate Shop.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Worked selling clothes at my ma's clothing store on sundays for $50 for a full days work at the age of 10....slave labour for sho! The jackets i sold were $120each!!b, 21b, 21But fave job was at a video store from 16 to 20! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21$50/day on Sundays, for a 10 year old! Slave labour? That is huge money. I was on $4 something an hour at age 15 at my first job. Which was about the standard rate at the time, 1999.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    working in a warehouse. i had to repack all things that were being returned and make them look brand new. computer parts. it was horrible. i got a typewriter's cramp from it. the repacking was very stressful. i spend some days putting together so called pizza boxes all day. then i met the big boss. he was my former best friends dad. he recognized me and i got to do an extra special job. thousands of pallets with computer parts had to be resorted. unnumbered boxes all over the place. i had to look into each box and carry stuff around, resort everything and put it into the waiting trucks. i got yelled at by truck dirvers and had to do the work with skinned thighs from running around. then i had to enter my day work into a database. the worst part came when i fell down with my skateboard on the way home. i could barely walk and i had lots of burns from the concrete on my hip and my elbow was swollen. worst job in my life! i came home and fell asleep within a few minutes.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    paperboy

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    At 15 as an office-boy.b, 21I'd spend most of my work time doingb, 21stuff outside the office (banks, deliveries, etc).b, 21It was the best way for me to know the cityb, 21I live (Sao Paulo).b, 21b, 21b, 21Peace

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 I made good money and had the best organized grocery bags ever. women would request my bagging abilities. I miss those days. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21 It's all about pride in work, even when bagging groceries. I'd bring home $60 bucks a day. "I Got the Papers" for 15 years old, anyway. A year later I drove a school bus too which paid about $300 a month. It was nice to not have to depend on my parents' wack school clothes choices anymore. They preferred "Toughskins" to "Sergio Valente." img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/weaksauce.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Peace,b, 21b, 21Big Stacks from Kakalak

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 I made good money and had the best organized grocery bags ever. women would request my bagging abilities. I miss those days. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21 It's all about pride in work, even when bagging groceries. I'd bring home $60 bucks a day. "I Got the Papers" for 15 years old, anyway. A year later I drove a school bus too which paid about $300 a month. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21No offense, but no way would I let my kid get on a bus driven by a 16-year-old.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 I made good money and had the best organized grocery bags ever. women would request my bagging abilities. I miss those days. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21 It's all about pride in work, even when bagging groceries. I'd bring home $60 bucks a day. "I Got the Papers" for 15 years old, anyway. A year later I drove a school bus too which paid about $300 a month. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21No offense, but no way would I let my kid get on a bus driven by a 16-year-old. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Hey Faux,b, 21b, 21I feel you, mane, but 16-year olds were a lot more mature back then. But yeah, thinking about it as an old geezer makes the prospect of a teenager transporting my kids (if I had them) insane. Not surprisingly, North Carolina moved to having adult bus drivers a few years after that. I guess it's better to have drunken adult pedophiliacs with prior arrest/convictions (eventual inadequate background screening scandal-related) than immature high schoolers. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21 As William James said, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."b, 21b, 21Peace,b, 21b, 21Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 women would request my bagging abilities. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21oh hell yes b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21"I like the way you work it (no diggity) I got to bag it up"

• Taco Bell

• a few years ago at an arts and crafts store

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Cart wrangler at the same grocery store we racked our lunches from in high school.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    paper route...