Did that tramp just say "colored"?

Comments

• i use people of color all the time.b, 21b, 21DEAL

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21In physics, a black body is a perfect absorber of light, but by a rule derived by Einstein it is also, when heated, the best emitter. Thus, the best radiative cooling, out of sunlight, is by using black paint, though it is important that it be black (a nearly perfect absorber) in the infrared as well.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21always have to be better than us at everything huh? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21Yet another white man writing about what it means to be black.b, 21b, 21Since I also do that, that makes me a genius.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i use people of color all the time.b, 21b, 21DEAL b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21"use" them? dude.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    img src="http://www.pilkipedia.co.uk/wiki/images/1/18/Gareth1.jpg"1b, 21b, 21"My dad is a lot less cosmopolitan than I am. He calls 'em birds instead of women. Poofs instead of gays. Darkies instead of coloreds."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I guess just "people" isn't sufficient. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21How about "People Classic"? You know, as opposed to the newer formula. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Ha!b, 21b, 21b, 21Yeah "people of color" is wack as hell. its just another way to say non-white. if you mean non-white just f*cking say non-white. if you mean asian then say asian. if you mean black then say black. it irritates me when some of these blowhard pundits are saying "african-american" like they are all proud of themselves. And half the time they are saying some racist shit anyways and acting like its ok becuase they said african american. some of these dudes might as well just come out and say there's a "nigger in the whitehouse". I listen to these right wing fucks on the radio everyday and i'm suprised people aren't calling these dudes out on the nasty shit they say.b, 21b, 21ok that was a bit of a tangent, but its hard to stomach, so there. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Gary: here's the reason "people of color" came into use...b, 21b, 21"Non-white" is identity by negation. You're basically defining people by what they're not, i.e. white. It'd be like calling women "non-men." Technically, it's correct, but it's not very..."affirming." b, 21b, 21People of color came into vogue as a way to find a way to - as you note - designate that these are people who aren't classified as white and therefore have no claim to white privilege (since power is what's important here) but yet, does so in a way that is more positively defined (what you are) than negatively (what you aren't).b, 21b, 21You may think that's a load of p.c. crap - and hell, much of it is - but language is important and language is powerful and to that degree, I don't have a problem with using "people of color" if my other option is "non-white." b, 21b, 21The one thing though - with the popularity of "people of color", I'm sympathetic to folks who just say "colored people" since, really, I>they're the same term[/i], albeit with different historical roots.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i use people of color all the time.b, 21b, 21DEAL b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21"use" them? dude. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21These leaves ain't gonna blow themselves (PAUSE).

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    non-three little pigs related?b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.solarhaven.org/big_bad_wolf.gif"1b, 21b, 21wolf of big bad

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I guess just "people" isn't sufficient. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21How about "People Classic"? You know, as opposed to the newer formula. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Ha!b, 21b, 21b, 21Yeah "people of color" is wack as hell. its just another way to say non-white. if you mean non-white just f*cking say non-white. if you mean asian then say asian. if you mean black then say black. it irritates me when some of these blowhard pundits are saying "african-american" like they are all proud of themselves. And half the time they are saying some racist shit anyways and acting like its ok becuase they said african american. some of these dudes might as well just come out and say there's a "nigger in the whitehouse". I listen to these right wing fucks on the radio everyday and i'm suprised people aren't calling these dudes out on the nasty shit they say.b, 21b, 21ok that was a bit of a tangent, but its hard to stomach, so there. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Gary: here's the reason "people of color" came into use...b, 21b, 21"Non-white" is identity by negation. You're basically defining people by what they're not, i.e. white. It'd be like calling women "non-men." Technically, it's correct, but it's not very..."affirming." b, 21b, 21People of color came into vogue as a way to find a way to - as you note - designate that these are people who aren't classified as white and therefore have no claim to white privilege (since power is what's important here) but yet, does so in a way that is more positively defined (what you are) than negatively (what you aren't).b, 21b, 21You may think that's a load of p.c. crap - and hell, much of it is - but language is important and language is powerful and to that degree, I don't have a problem with using "people of color" if my other option is "non-white." b, 21b, 21The one thing though - with the popularity of "people of color", I'm sympathetic to folks who just say "colored people" since, really, I>they're the same term[/i], albeit with different historical roots. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I understand the history, and I understand the meaning, and I actually don't think a lot of p.c. stuff is crap. some of it, sure, like taiwanese people wanting to be called Taiwans is f*cking ridiculous to me. But most P.C. stuff is "correct" for a reason. But the "people of color" thing sounds like a way to say "non-white" for people who are uncomfortable saying "non-white". which I guess you are also saying it is. but the only time you would call somebody a "person of color" is when you specifically want to not include white people in whatever you are talking about. Otherwise you would just say asian, black, filipino, mexican, or whatever. So I understand that its supposed to be a nicer way of saying non-white, but even that to a certain degree implies to me that there is something bad about being non-white. It just seems like in the US especially to say "people of color" is beating around the bush... b, 21b, 21And yes language is powerful, but not ALL language is powerful. "people of color" seems like its trying to harness that power, but failing. What I mean by that is, for example, my mother in law will refer to white people as "american people" even though she is now an American citizen herself. And I"ll say "you mean white people?" and she'll say yes. I think that is what the "people of color" thing is going for, but I also think it fails. Its an attempt to be inclusionary when speaking about something that by definition is exclusionary.b, 21b, 21b, 21I'm a rambler but I hope you see what I'm saying.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    u aint sayin nothin

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    "calling me an African American...b, 21Like everything is fair again, shit."b, 21b, 21b, 21that probably has to be one of the best lines ever in a song...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21u aint sayin nothin b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21Use "people of color" in a sentance. But here's the hard part.... use it with out using "u" or "lol" or any of that. Full words only.b, 21b, 21b, 21GO.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Are jews considered people of color? i think they are non-white, but they aren't very colorful.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Are jews considered people of color? i think they are non-white, but they aren't very colorful. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21BANb, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/formpager3xk.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21seriously it depends on the Jew I guess. my Libyan Jewish friend is certainly not white, nor is my Persian ex. without going into too much detail, Jews of European extraction in the US pass for many (but not all) intents and purposes as white (for whatver reason). though this certainly hasn't been true historically in the US, and certainly isn't true today in much of the rest of the world where Jews live. AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Well, Obama isn't Black. Calling him Black or African-American is a fallacy. He's of mixed race parentage, which makes "Colored" more factual than "Black". That people call him Black or African American just betrays how racist America actually is. Big up to Lohan for calling you suckers out. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21That poast was real horrible, dude. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I bet $ he won't even be back in this thread to answer to it. b, 21b, 21h, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Yeah its confusing because you are like the whitest person I know!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah its confusing because you are like the whitest person I know! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21you sound trite.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah its confusing because you are like the whitest person I know! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21you sound trite. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Dude, I wasn't making fun of you, that was a line from Training Day.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Are jews considered people of color? i think they are non-white, but they aren't very colorful. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21My african-american friend, Sam, who is also jewish is not white. (obviously) b, 21b, 21He's the only black and the only jew I know.b, 21b, 21Two birds with one stone. b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21YES.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21u aint sayin nothin b, 21b, 21h, 21

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    pthpthpthpthpth.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'm pretty positive this is the most useless thread I've ever read on the Strut. Now that's saying something.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I'm pretty positive this is the most useless thread I've ever read on the Strut.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21B-b-b-ut ... it was said by Lindsay Lohan!

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I'm pretty positive this is the most useless thread I've ever read on the Strut.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21B-b-b-ut ... it was said by Lindsay Lohan! b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21If only Sarah Palin had said it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I understand the history, and I understand the meaning, and I actually don't think a lot of p.c. stuff is crap. some of it, sure, like taiwanese people wanting to be called Taiwans is f*cking ridiculous to me.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    If you understand the history and understand the meaning, you would understand why Taiwanese people wish to be called Taiwanese instead of Chinese.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I understand the history, and I understand the meaning, and I actually don't think a lot of p.c. stuff is crap. some of it, sure, like taiwanese people wanting to be called Taiwans is f*cking ridiculous to me.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    If you understand the history and understand the meaning, you would understand why Taiwanese people wish to be called Taiwanese instead of Chinese. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21It might be hard to read with your head shoved up your ass, but what I said is that Taiwanese people want to be called "Taiwans". You'll notice its right up there in the quote ^^^^^. If its still not clear, its the "ese" part they want to get rid of.b, 21b, 21b, 21jesus christ.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I understand the history, and I understand the meaning, and I actually don't think a lot of p.c. stuff is crap. some of it, sure, like taiwanese people wanting to be called Taiwans is f*cking ridiculous to me.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    If you understand the history and understand the meaning, you would understand why Taiwanese people wish to be called Taiwanese instead of Chinese. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21It might be hard to read with your head shoved up your ass, but what I said is that Taiwanese people want to be called "Taiwans". You'll notice its right up there in the quote ^^^^^. If its still not clear, its the "ese" part they want to get rid of.b, 21b, 21b, 21jesus christ. b, 21b, 21h, 21Sorry, I misread your post. Once I saw the Taiwanese part, I thought it was on some "they're all Chinese" deal.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I'm pretty positive this is the most useless thread I've ever read on the Strut. Now that's saying something. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21agreed. they didnt even show what she was wearing. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif" alt="" 21

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I understand the history, and I understand the meaning, and I actually don't think a lot of p.c. stuff is crap. some of it, sure, like taiwanese people wanting to be called Taiwans is f*cking ridiculous to me.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    If you understand the history and understand the meaning, you would understand why Taiwanese people wish to be called Taiwanese instead of Chinese. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21It might be hard to read with your head shoved up your ass, but what I said is that Taiwanese people want to be called "Taiwans". You'll notice its right up there in the quote ^^^^^. If its still not clear, its the "ese" part they want to get rid of.b, 21b, 21b, 21jesus christ. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I've never heard that; probably means I haven't been spending enough time around Taiwanese, eh, Taiwans. b, 21b, 21Which is, apparently, a good thing.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I understand the history, and I understand the meaning, and I actually don't think a lot of p.c. stuff is crap. some of it, sure, like taiwanese people wanting to be called Taiwans is f*cking ridiculous to me.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    If you understand the history and understand the meaning, you would understand why Taiwanese people wish to be called Taiwanese instead of Chinese. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21It might be hard to read with your head shoved up your ass, but what I said is that Taiwanese people want to be called "Taiwans". You'll notice its right up there in the quote ^^^^^. If its still not clear, its the "ese" part they want to get rid of.b, 21b, 21b, 21jesus christ. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I've never heard that; probably means I haven't been spending enough time around Taiwanese, eh, Taiwans. b, 21b, 21Which is, apparently, a good thing. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I'm going to guess that its the same as prefering "Asian" to "Oriental" in the U.S. So that asian coutries have the "ese" - chinese, japanese, vietnamese, and western countries don't. you are just frech, english, german, italian, or whatever. So they say "drop the 'ese' and just call us 'taiwans'". Thats the only thing I can come up with. To me its ridiculous, since we don't care how they say "american" in chinese. I mean, Taiwaners or Taiwanians makes more sense than just Taiwans. Whatever, I'll be there in a few weeks so I suppose I can just ask.b, 21b, 21I didn't beleive it when I first heard but everybody keeps saying that its true, even though I don't see anything about it on wikipedia, in meetings and everything people are all calling them Taiwans now. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pleez stop