Did that tramp just say "colored"?

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I guess just "people" isn't sufficient. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21How about "People Classic"? You know, as opposed to the newer formula. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Ha!b, 21b, 21b, 21Yeah "people of color" is wack as hell. its just another way to say non-white. if you mean non-white just f*cking say non-white. if you mean asian then say asian. if you mean black then say black. it irritates me when some of these blowhard pundits are saying "african-american" like they are all proud of themselves. And half the time they are saying some racist shit anyways and acting like its ok becuase they said african american. some of these dudes might as well just come out and say there's a "nigger in the whitehouse". I listen to these right wing fucks on the radio everyday and i'm suprised people aren't calling these dudes out on the nasty shit they say.b, 21b, 21ok that was a bit of a tangent, but its hard to stomach, so there.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21yeah freckles are cute in small numbers but her body is covered is that shit. She looks like a walking jackson pollack art or something. I'd play connect the dots on her booty maybe as a passing entertainment but otherwise no. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21blasphemy. she's hot. i know she's gone through some stages, but clean her up and she's back to good....and not a racist or a lesbian btw. damn...b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bizzo.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21 I would also suggest a big mac and a six pack of guiness a day for a month or two...get that sturdy back goin' again

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    So over in the groovy old men thread, men in their 50s and 60s are being labeled as so cool for everything from their clothes to their music taste to the young women they cavort with. They have probably slept with more people than Lindsay Lohan can count to, but she's a tramp and they're groovy. This sh*t is so old and sorry and boring but it apparently never gets tired. I get the lashing out, but stick with the program - if she's racist, she's racist. What or who she does has nothing to do with it.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Well, Obama isn't Black. Calling him Black or African-American is a fallacy. He's of mixed race parentage, which makes "Colored" more factual than "Black". That people call him Black or African American just betrays how racist America actually is. Big up to Lohan for calling you suckers out. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21That poast was real horrible, dude. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I bet $ he won't even be back in this thread to answer to it. b, 21b, 21h, 21

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    as a montrealer of african descent with a french canadian mom having gone through racist experiences in my life and having worked in Brazil i must say to luck and haz 2 posters i respect a lotb, 21b, 21YOU ARE way off!b, 21b, 21I am black, african-american whatever and will never receive the same reaction/treatmant as a white personb, 21b, 21the situation in brazil is absolutely similar in the sense that daker complexion= more discriminationb, 21b, 21its simple REAL TALK REAL LIFE : Brazil is still racist and coloured is NAGLb, 21b, 21thats it

• it's funny I think a lot of Americans have this fantasy-land view of race relations in other countries with populations of mixed European/African descent, e.g. Brazil, Cuba, France, etc. the US has a long history of violent racism that continues to this day, but the idea that these other places have the racial harmony thing down or something is ridiculous.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21as a montrealer of african descent with a french canadian mom having gone through racist experiences in my life and having worked in Brazil i must say to luck and haz 2 posters i respect a lotb, 21b, 21YOU ARE way off!b, 21b, 21I am black, african-american whatever and will never receive the same reaction/treatmant as a white personb, 21b, 21the situation in brazil is absolutely similar in the sense that daker complexion= more discriminationb, 21b, 21its simple REAL TALK REAL LIFE : Brazil is still racist and coloured is NAGLb, 21b, 21thats it b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21OK this confused me for a seond until i realized canada is in america (the continent) too... so can south american black people be called african american too?b, 21b, 21and do black people in canada really use the term african american? I guess it makes sense if they all got here the same way (slave ships (recent african arrivals not included, of course)).b, 21b, 21b, 21it also makes more sense than african-canadian, or at least african-united-states-of-american.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    mostly i use african-american in the continental sense but also for lack of a better term.b, 21b, 21the common nomencalture in SAmerica is afro-descendente (afro-peruanno,afro-colombiano, afro-brasileiro)b, 21baiscally of african descent b, 21b, 21a term i prefer and is used in Black community groups in canadab, 21b, 21but in montreal all black people are thought to be haitian anyways img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bucs.gif" alt="" 21

• img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blap.gif" alt="" 21

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    well i'll be damned. i learned something today.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I guess just "people" isn't sufficient. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21How about "People Classic"? You know, as opposed to the newer formula. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Ha!b, 21b, 21b, 21Yeah "people of color" is wack as hell. its just another way to say non-white. if you mean non-white just f*cking say non-white. if you mean asian then say asian. if you mean black then say black. it irritates me when some of these blowhard pundits are saying "african-american" like they are all proud of themselves. And half the time they are saying some racist shit anyways and acting like its ok becuase they said african american. some of these dudes might as well just come out and say there's a "nigger in the whitehouse". I listen to these right wing fucks on the radio everyday and i'm suprised people aren't calling these dudes out on the nasty shit they say.b, 21b, 21ok that was a bit of a tangent, but its hard to stomach, so there. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21folks prefer 'people of color' over 'non white' bcuz its not defining group a by their relationship to group b

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21So over in the groovy old men thread, men in their 50s and 60s are being labeled as so cool for everything from their clothes to their music taste to the young women they cavort with. They have probably slept with more people than Lindsay Lohan can count to, but she's a tramp and they're groovy. This sh*t is so old and sorry and boring but it apparently never gets tired.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21It's the double standard that's as old as time itself.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I guess just "people" isn't sufficient. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21How about "People Classic"? You know, as opposed to the newer formula. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Ha!b, 21b, 21b, 21Yeah "people of color" is wack as hell. its just another way to say non-white. if you mean non-white just f*cking say non-white. if you mean asian then say asian. if you mean black then say black. it irritates me when some of these blowhard pundits are saying "african-american" like they are all proud of themselves. And half the time they are saying some racist shit anyways and acting like its ok becuase they said african american. some of these dudes might as well just come out and say there's a "nigger in the whitehouse". I listen to these right wing fucks on the radio everyday and i'm suprised people aren't calling these dudes out on the nasty shit they say.b, 21b, 21ok that was a bit of a tangent, but its hard to stomach, so there. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21folks prefer 'people of color' over 'non white' bcuz its not defining group a by their relationship to group b b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21sure it is. People of Color automatically assumes the existance of People Without Color, otherwise there would be point in saying it at all.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21as a montrealer of african descent with a french canadian mom having gone through racist experiences in my life and having worked in Brazil i must say to luck and haz 2 posters i respect a lotb, 21b, 21YOU ARE way off!b, 21b, 21I am black, african-american whatever and will never receive the same reaction/treatmant as a white personb, 21b, 21the situation in brazil is absolutely similar in the sense that daker complexion= more discriminationb, 21b, 21its simple REAL TALK REAL LIFE : Brazil is still racist and coloured is NAGLb, 21b, 21thats it b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21OK this confused me for a seond until i realized canada is in america (the continent) too... so can south american black people be called african american too?b, 21b, 21and do black people in canada really use the term african american? I guess it makes sense if they all got here the same way (slave ships (recent african arrivals not included, of course)).b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21It's complicated. People refer to themselves in all manners of ways, including African-Canadian, and have come to Canada in all different ways; there were blacks in Canada pre-slave trade as explorers, because of the slave trade, escaping from slavery, immigrating for work, banned from immigrating and then in a few different immigration waves from the early 1900s up to now. The only person I know up here who refers to himself as African-American is from the States. While there was slavery here and its descendents are very much part of the black/African population here, a large number (my guess is the majority) of blacks in Canada are immigrants. b, 21b, 21And that's a very simple explanation.

Also, in my experience, it is more common for people to include the name of their specific country of birth in the hyphenation.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I guess just "people" isn't sufficient. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21How about "People Classic"? You know, as opposed to the newer formula. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Ha!b, 21b, 21b, 21Yeah "people of color" is wack as hell. its just another way to say non-white. if you mean non-white just f*cking say non-white. if you mean asian then say asian. if you mean black then say black. it irritates me when some of these blowhard pundits are saying "african-american" like they are all proud of themselves. And half the time they are saying some racist shit anyways and acting like its ok becuase they said african american. some of these dudes might as well just come out and say there's a "nigger in the whitehouse". I listen to these right wing fucks on the radio everyday and i'm suprised people aren't calling these dudes out on the nasty shit they say.b, 21b, 21ok that was a bit of a tangent, but its hard to stomach, so there. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21folks prefer 'people of color' over 'non white' bcuz its not defining group a by their relationship to group b b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21sure it is. People of Color automatically assumes the existance of People Without Color, otherwise there would be point in saying it at all. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21People of color is preferred to both non-white and minority, which are also inclusive, because it frames the subject positively; non-white defines people in terms of what they are not (white), and minority, by its very definition, places the subject in a subordinate position.b, 21b, 21h, 21

People should call themselves what they want, but the idea that all people of colour - and does or doesn't this include Chinese, Japanese and Korean peoples? - can be lumped into one group as if we all have the same ideas, etc. is problematic. I don't have the answer, just sayin.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Deej, thats a pleasant thought, but you can call somebody un-smart, or you can call them stupid, either way it means the same thing.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21The whole point of "People Of Color" is to exclude white people, so again, why not just non-white?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Yeah but the whole coloured opposed to white still reaks of domination and social darwinism. The reverse white man burden is universally omnipresent and its a shame

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21People should call themselves what they want, but the idea that all people of colour - and does or doesn't this include Chinese, Japanese and Korean peoples? - can be lumped into one group as if we all have the same ideas, etc. is problematic. I don't have the answer, just sayin. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21When I hear the phrase "POC" it's usually used in place of the term "minority." Whether or not this is because "minority" is either numerically inaccurate or considered more of a bad look than "POC" by the people saying it, I don't know.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    PEOPLE CLASSIC[/b]b, 21b, 21Let's make this thing happen.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    From now on I'm a non-person-of-color.b, 21b, 21or would that be person-of-non-color?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21From now on I'm a non-person-of-color.b, 21b, 21or would that be person-of-non-color? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You're a majority.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Actually it turns out I'm a person-of-colors[/b]b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21White is a tone, the perception which is evoked by light that stimulates all three types of color sensitive cone cells in the human eye in near equal amount and with high brightness compared to the surroundings.b, 21b, 21Since the impression of white is obtained by three summations of light intensity across the visible spectrum, the number of combinations of light wavelengths that produce the sensation of white is practically infinite. There are a number of different white light sources such as the midday Sun, incandescent lamps, fluorescent lamps and white LEDs. The impression of white light can also be created by mixing appropriate intensities of the primary colors of light ??? red, green and blue (RGB) ??? a process called additive mixing, as seen in many display technologies.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21yay!b, 21b, 21I win!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'd rather be non-thin than a person-of-heftiness!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Actually it turns out I'm a person-of-colors[/b]b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Insert "Who you calling colored?" joke.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I'd rather be non-thin than a person-of-heftiness! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21Underratedb, 21b, 21b, 21b/wb, 21b, 21b, 21Pink Like Me....

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Black a.k.a. non-colored:b, 21b, 21b, 21Black is the color of objects that do not emit or reflect light in any part of the visible spectrum; they absorb all such frequencies of light. Although black is sometimes described as an "achromatic", or hueless, color, in practice it can be considered a color, as in expressions like "black cat" or "black paint".b, 21b, 21b, 21well non-colored is exclusive, so is hueless, although thats charming, so I think I'll do the PC thing and say "black".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Black a.k.a. non-colored:b, 21b, 21b, 21Black is the color of objects that do not emit or reflect light in any part of the visible spectrum; they absorb all such frequencies of light. Although black is sometimes described as an "achromatic", or hueless, color, in practice it can be considered a color, as in expressions like "black cat" or "black paint".b, 21b, 21b, 21well non-colored is exclusive, so is hueless, although thats charming, so I think I'll do the PC thing and say "black". b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You sound black.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    In physics, a black body is a perfect absorber of light, but by a rule derived by Einstein it is also, when heated, the best emitter. Thus, the best radiative cooling, out of sunlight, is by using black paint, though it is important that it be black (a nearly perfect absorber) in the infrared as well.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21always have to be better than us at everything huh?