Selling yourself

2»

Comments

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Then I also, figured (Being the hustler I am) I can be done by 9:00PM and shoot over to another spot to play and get paid twice that night!!!! that is how ya' do it.

Fuck yes that is how you do it right there. I've even done weddings the same day as The Rub before -

Shit, I'm booked for 8 gigs this week, 2 on the same day.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holla at me Cos - I just shot a kite Ayers.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Then I also, figured (Being the hustler I am) I can be done by 9:00PM and shoot over to another spot to play and get paid twice that night!!!! that is how ya' do it.

Fuck yes that is how you do it right there. I've even done weddings the same day as The Rub before -

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holla at me Cos - I just shot a kite Ayers.

Holy shit, I didn't see what that picture was!!!

Preme I'm gonna holler at you tonight.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    plaese to change your avatar from brian pepper. its fully frightening...

done and done

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts

so you guys need to throw some advise this way... when you first started out did you do anything besides making sure your sets where tight?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    did you do anything besides making sure your sets where tight?

That's the most important thing - always come off.

Also be friendly, but don't be afraid to be a shark when you smell blood.

But that does NOT mean sharking other DJs gigs. That will come back and bite you in the ass.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Fuck yes that is how you do it right there. I've even done weddings the same day as The Rub before

so you guys need to throw some advise this way... when you first started out did you do anything besides making sure your sets where tight?

I had a built-in following from college when I started in NYC (a huge portion of my graduating class moved to the city after graduation because so many people grew up here). That was seven years ago. I started flyering and postering really hard about four years ago, when I was starting to have a name and people knew my mix cds. I give away lots of CDs still - like 50 at the door at The Rub every month, and I give CDs and my card to anyone who seems like they might be a promoter, booking agent, music industry head or club owner. I get bookings through lots of other DJs too, who have a guest spot or fill-in opportunity for me. Then give CDs and a card to the owners / promoters at that spot. I don't ever hard sell it though. Just like "here is a CD, I hope you like it, my contact info is on the inside." We also send CDs to writers at magazines.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts

Fuck yes that is how you do it right there. I've even done weddings the same day as The Rub before

I had a built-in following from college when I started in NYC (a huge portion of my graduating class moved to the city after graduation because so many people grew up here). That was seven years ago. I started flyering and postering really hard about four years ago, when I was starting to have a name and people knew my mix cds. I give away lots of CDs still - like 50 at the door at The Rub every month, and I give CDs and my card to anyone who seems like they might be a promoter, booking agent, music industry head or club owner. I get bookings through lots of other DJs too, who have a guest spot or fill-in opportunity for me. Then give CDs and a card to the owners / promoters at that spot. I don't ever hard sell it though. Just like "here is a CD, I hope you like it, my contact info is on the inside." We also send CDs to writers at magazines.

Word... thank you guys.. Its tough out there so every little bit of advise helps...

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    i forgot - also you need an email list and a website. don't put too much on the website right away but just having one with mixes and flyers and stuff on it makes you look more official. the email list is really important.

• Then I also, figured (Being the hustler I am) I can be done by 9:00PM and shoot over to another spot to play and get paid twice that night!!!! that is how ya' do it.

all of this is real good info. try and do a release party at a gig that has guest dj's. i gave away about 100 cds to the 1st 100 paying customers awhile ago. people dig that. still getting props off of that. and you gotta give away alot of cd's.

urrrs, sorry to keep calling you out but who is that picture that you have in your avatar & rub flyer of? the placement of the goatee and cheeks makes it look like myself but it obviously ain't me.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Get a job at a magazine. Preferably one that sells sneakers.

Date a hot foreign part-time model/waitress.

Spin progressive everything

best first post evar

big ups on that first post.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Ok, this is probably not the best advice but a true story. There was this crew out here of djs and promoters and they did events all the time and what they would do is have their goons go to all of the OTHER events and start fights and even go as far as shooting the club up to get it shut down so theirs would be the only one left to go to! I've heard similar stories in NYC as well.

• strikeskistrikeski 95 Posts
    Ok, this is probably not the best advice but a true story. There was this crew out here of djs and promoters and they did events all the time and what they would do is have their goons go to all of the OTHER events and start fights and even go as far as shooting the club up to get it shut down so theirs would be the only one left to go to! I've heard similar stories in NYC as well.
    Thats just crazy/stupid
    Anyway, its cool to see all this advice... I dj here in belgium, and right now I am gonna start making a buisnes out of it, but the main problem here is people dont get the idea that djing is work and u need to get paid, but now I stand by fuck you pay me..