Selling yourself

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited July 2005 in DJ Talk / Mixes
What suggestions do people have about promoting shows. I am trying to get more gigs.. plus I am interested in how everyone got started doing their thing....

Comments

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    Come on... i know not all you are rookies... Ayres.. Cosmo.. where you at?

• always try to play the best gig you can
    carry (business)cards
    make sure you have some cdr's w/ mixes to hand out
    always try to book a follow-up gig on the night itself if things went well
    if people like the way you play, they will actively search out where they can hear you.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    it really starts (atleast in my experience) knowing someone, and getting "in" at a spot. if your out of connections, you just need to shop. compile a couple mixes (mix cds, different genres as well) and a resume/references, and just hit the clubs during the day or call to make apps/meetings with a manager. once you get your first consistent gig, try to make a name for yourself with street promotion, etc. this will then keep your name ringing in other clubs, which builds more gigs. good luck.

to make a name for yourself with street promotion

is this just papering or something else?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    to make a name for yourself with street promotion

is this just papering or something else?

both, paper promote your night, and word of mouth as well. alot of clubs arent going to specifically name you or promote your night, so get out there and get your name in peoples mouths...

• Get a job at a magazine. Preferably one that sells sneakers.

Date a hot foreign part-time model/waitress.

Spin progressive everything

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    always try to play the best gig you can
    carry (business)cards
    make sure you have some cdr's w/ mixes to hand out
    always try to book a follow-up gig on the night itself if things went well
    if people like the way you play, they will actively search out where they can hear you.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Get a job at a magazine. Preferably one that sells sneakers.

So many Careers built upon this advice! Kudos to you!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

best first post evar

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

YESSS!!!!!!!

welcome....

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Oh, also you could get an agent to help you get gigs so you can get your name known and then when you are popular enough, you can take the bookings yourself.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Oh, also you could get an agent to help you get gigs so you can get your name known and then when you are popular enough, you can take the bookings yourself.

he don't know no agents.

he don't know no agents.

Pistol... can you talk to Gre$%*aum.. thanks asshole...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I'm gonna tell you like this, when I statrted out there were only like 4 djs in my town and so it was easy. Now there are seriously like 1000! there are guys that started two weeks ago getting crazy gigs around town!!!!!! Because they are "nice" guys and popular etc. In fact this one guy I straight up asked him how he was getting so many jobs and his answer was business cards and a website! Lol. I have that? Hmmmmmm.....Last night I had the W Hotel call me and ask me to dj for them for an event but wanted to me to open for this really wack dj, I felt really disrespected but also, wondered was that just my ego getting in the way? I mean 20 years of deejaying, over 50 records out, magazines, books, videos, 1000's of mixtapes sold - doesn't that give me the right to have a small ego when asked to open for a guy that isn't good and has been deejaying less then a year! However, THEY don't know any better even after I have shown them a press kit. So no matter who you are or what you've done or how long this dj game is a hustle all day everyday. there are new promoters all the time and you have to sell yourself to them as to why they should put money in your pocket. They are cheap and don't want to pay and want to hire thier personal friends, relatives or the cheap guy. All you can do is doing everysingle thing better then the next guy and hopefully it will pay off. Better skills, better collection, better attitude, better website, etc. just stay in the scene and a lot of these gigs come from people seeing you around all the time or they get to know you etc. That is the popularity thing in effect for you. This guy has won best dj from our newspaper 7 years in a row. He is ok but clearly not the best but is the most popular. he's an old gay guy and is super nice to everybody and we happen to have a high gay population here. Would explain why I have never won anything here! Lol..... Also, read your crowd and come prepared. Even when I'm asked for only "Neo Soul" I will have my back up crate of sure fire club bangers just in case and seems like I always end up touching those. I played last week at a spot and the crowd was mostly 28-40 year old white couples. I played Rolling Stones, Little River Band, Steely Dan, Todd Rundgren, etc. They absolutely loved me and were tipping all night and I got 3 more gigs out of it. This guy told me he was disgusted when he seen me setting up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that? He said seriously he was like "Oh great another hip hop dj" and then said I totally blew his mind and was "Awesome". You don't really need to even be that good but solid and a mind reader too. Once someone is drunk and you play just ONE song they absolutely love they will think your the best dj.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Fuck all that. Do it OG status? Draw out a flyer and blow it up at Kinkos and make mad copies and buy some tape and bust a mission. Then when you get tired just drop off the flyers at some record/cd stores.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Once someone is drunk and you play just ONE song they absolutely love they will think your the best dj.

Damn thats the Science right there!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    This guy told me he was disgusted when he seen me setting up!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that? He said seriously he was like "Oh great another hip hop dj" and then said I totally blew his mind and was "Awesome".
    great story.

You don't really need to even be that good but solid and a mind reader too. Once someone is drunk and you play just ONE song they absolutely love they will think your the best dj.

great advice.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I know a Mrs. McCusker who's man kind of fits that profile, except he isn't a DJ. Hmmmm....

• parenparen 537 Posts
    some have one some have ten some still are some have been...

stunts are a man's best friend.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    lone lesbo in a world full of dick riders

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    it really starts (atleast in my experience) knowing someone, and getting "in" at a spot. if your out of connections, you just need to shop. compile a couple mixes (mix cds, different genres as well) and a resume/references, and just hit the clubs during the day or call to make apps/meetings with a manager. once you get your first consistent gig, try to make a name for yourself with street promotion, etc. this will then keep your name ringing in other clubs, which builds more gigs. good luck.

This is all good advice.

Honestly, promotion is perhaps my least favorite part of DJing because I'm not all that comfortable with having to go out there and talk myself up to anybody who'll listen. It feels like shilling even if it's not, but on the flip side, the "I'll just be humble and do good shows and hope people notice me and give my name some word-of-mouth promotion" approach isn't gonna get the job done.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    If you have a lot of records. Go to a spot check out what they have booked on the regular. Then meet with manager and figure out what they might want more of.

But if you want to get the fri/sat hiphop80sfunkdancehall sets better get some knee pads.

"hope people notice me"

That's not good business. Believe I hate talking to people!!! At the end of the day a closed mouth doesn't get fed. So YOU have to go talk to these people or they won't know any better. This is only if your serious about getting that job. If you work somewhere and dj for fun on the side that is different but ALL I do is dj.

If you have a lot of records. Go to a spot check out what they have booked on the regular. Then meet with manager and figure out what they might want more of.

But if you want to get the fri/sat hiphop80sfunkdancehall sets better get some knee pads.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYO

no thanks... I guess it really comes down to connections... but I like hearing the stories of dudes that started out hustling...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    better get some knee pads

I like hearing the stories of dudes that started out hustling

"What in tarnation is this?"
    "It's a handbill for our new hustle, spinning records for cash. We go down to 109th, pick up some records outta the garbage can, then tell them high class clubs we can DJ and so on. We'll get at least twenny bucks and probably some free food."
    "I dunno, that sounds squirrellier than a birdfeeder in acorn season."
    "HEY! I'M PROMOTING HEEEAH!"

So I talked to the W hotel today and safe to say my EGO was in the way! They explained to me that their BIG crowd is an early one because they come in for drinks and it actually clears out around 9:00PM when they want the "wack" dj to come on! Then I also, figured (Being the hustler I am) I can be done by 9:00PM and shoot over to another spot to play and get paid twice that night!!!! that is how ya' do it.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Then I also, figured (Being the hustler I am) I can be done by 9:00PM and shoot over to another spot to play and get paid twice that night!!!! that is how ya' do it.

Fuck yes that is how you do it right there. I've even done weddings the same day as The Rub before -

• Then I also, figured (Being the hustler I am) I can be done by 9:00PM and shoot over to another spot to play and get paid twice that night!!!! that is how ya' do it.

Fuck yes that is how you do it right there. I've even done weddings the same day as The Rub before -

Urrs,

plaese to change your avatar from brian pepper. its fully frightening...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Then I also, figured (Being the hustler I am) I can be done by 9:00PM and shoot over to another spot to play and get paid twice that night!!!! that is how ya' do it.

Shit, I'm booked for 8 gigs this week, 2 on the same day.