Adios Elite XC.

pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
a href="http://mmamania.com/2008/10/20/report-pro-elite-and-elite-xc-shutting-its-doors-effective-immediately/" target="_blank"1http://mmamania.com/2008/10/20/report-pr...ve-immediately//a1b,121b,121Solid ratings on network television were not enough to overcome an almost $60 million deficit for Pro Elite, the parent company of Elite XC and several other promotions.b,121b,121MMAmania.com has been able to confirm an SI.com report that the relatively young mixed martial arts promotion is no more.b,121b,121Little more than two weeks after its biggest star, Kimbo Slice, lost in just 14 seconds to replacement journeyman Seth Petruzelli in front of 4.5 million people on CBS, Elite XC has apparently been hit with a knockout blow of its own.b,121b,121That???s not to say the two had anything to do with one another. It???s perhaps just an unfortunate coincidence. Regardless, there is no more Elite XC, including the November 8 ???A Night of Champions??? event that was looking like a great card.b,121b,121One year, 10 months and six days ??? Elite XC was established on December 14, 2006, and pronounced dead on October 20, 2008.b,121b,121The company dug a deep $60 million hole of which it was never able to climb out. Obviously, no money ??? investors who were supposed to keep the company alive at least until the end of the year never materialized ??? equals no events, especially when there???s not even a pay-per-view (PPV) deal to fall back on.b,121b,121If nothing else, Elite XC can hang its hat on staging the first-ever live mixed martial arts event on network television ??? and the second, and the third. Not to mention the first female fight on network television ??? and the second, and the third.b,121b,121Elite XC is also responsible for some of the best fights of the past year or so. Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith I and Frank Shamrock vs. Cung Le are just two examples of those. Not to mention quality performances from Jake Shields, Nick Diaz, Antonio Silva, Rafael Feijao, and plenty of other world class caliber fighters.b,121b,121They gave it a good shot.b,121b,121In the end, it???s just tough for a new promotion to come in and be successful in mixed martial arts. Even the UFC, which is now very profitable, lost tons of money when the Fertittas first bought it ??? company president Dana White often remarks that he and his high school buddies make it look easy.b,121b,121It seems he???s right once again; however, that???s obviously a different story, and outcome, but you get the point.b,121b,121The plan was probably more or less to gain popularity with the CBS deal and grow into a PPV juggernaut like the UFC. But that was obviously a little overzealous. The truth is that the UFC has a stranglehold on all the PPV buyers, and it???s not going to be easy for any other company to be successful.b,121b,121Just ask Affliction.b,121b,121The upside to this for the fans is that there???s going to be a bunch of great fighters now without a place to work. It???s going to be interesting to see how many of these guys (and gals) end up in the UFC, Strikeforce, WEC, Affliction, or any of the other organizations out there.b,121b,121Expect to see these guys beefing up their rosters with names like Jake Shields, Eddie Alvarez, Nick Diaz, Antonio Silva, Rafael Feijao, Paul Daley, KJ Noons, Wilson Reis, Cyrille Diabate, and countless others.b,121b,121Who knows ??? maybe even Kimbo Slice.b,121b,121In the end, the talent was there near the top ??? it just wasn???t enough to compensate for all the other shortcomings and struggles that upstart mixed martial arts promotions face attempting to get off the ground.b,121b,121Elite XC joins Pride FC, International Fight League (IFL) and World Fighting Alliance (WFA) as recent MMA organizations that were forced to fold. Hopefully, the list ends there.b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121Peace, we hardly knew you. I'll see Kimbo at my local Wal Mart as a security guard.

Comments

• Can't say I'm surprised or bummed.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Can't say I'm surprised or bummed. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Me neither, but I REALLY wanted to see Cyborg and Carano.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Can't say I'm surprised or bummed. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Me neither, but I REALLY wanted to see Cyborg and Carano. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Am I sexist because I don't enjoy watching women punch each other in the face?

• It was headed in this direction for a while....b,121b,121Below is an excerpt from pro mma radio after the news broke last night...b,121b,121a href="http://www.voiceamericapd.com/MMA.mp3" target="_blank"1www.voiceamericapd.com/MMA.mp3

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Can't say I'm surprised or bummed. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Me neither, but I REALLY wanted to see Cyborg and Carano. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Am I sexist because I don't enjoy watching women punch each other in the face? b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't think so, but I'm curious to know what about it bothers you.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I don't think so, but I'm curious to know what about it bothers you. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't like to see women get hit. If that's sexist--and it may well be--I'm fine with that.

I'd certainly never want to watch my girlfriend or my sisters fight anyone, but I can't say that seeing two professional female fighters punch each other feels any different to me than two male fighters. b,121b,121But, the only way you could be sexist about it, IMO, is if you said women shouldn't fight professionally.

• You're the one who won't let your girlfriend fight your sister!

• Options
    Elite XC was kinda garbage anyway. I will not miss it.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Elite XC was kinda garbage anyway. I will not miss it. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121It wasn't as good as the other non-UFC mma organizations like dream or WEC but it had some really good matches and I was definitely looking forward to the robbie & joey matchup as well as a possible carano & cyborg fight. I had a feeling this would happen to them tho and will probably happen to Affliction which would definitely suck

Unrelated, but what did people think of the Leben/Bisping fight? I thought it was clear that Bisping won, and despite what the announcers kept saying about Chris' new attitude, he is obviously still having trouble controlling his emotions during the fight. Still, I thought it looked good for a possible Leben comeback (what can I say, hometown pride...). Hopefully that won't be the end of his career.

• I'm glad to see that Leben has matured and is trying to be a responsible adult (a few months sober, heading up a school, etc.). He still lost a BORING fight to Bisping, though.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121He still lost a BORING fight to Bisping, though. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I don't think that was entirely Leben's fault. Bisping fought conservatively and played it self almost the entire fight.

• ^^^^b,121Agree completely. The only thing worse than the way Bisping fought is the way some idiots have cried, "But Machida does the same thing!"b,121b,121Bisping is not on Machida's level and never will be.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Bisping is not on Machida's level and never will be. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b,121But for some reason, the way Machida sidesteps reminds me of of David Byrne or Iggy Pop dancing.