Shit that I can never get tired listening to...

2»

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

sarah vaughan's version of "lovers' concerto", i've listened to this track more than any other track in my life. at least once a week for the last two years since i first heard it...

http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=11JJ2W7A07R6D3OD2F3W9GGHG0

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

word

"i'l take "what about bran van 3000's "what the hell am i doing in drinking in LA" for $300 Alex".."

"uh, alien, that's now how u play the game, you dont ask the answer, YOU ask for the category"

"oh ok, 'canadian one hit wonders' for $300 alex, or as a matter of fact, you're canadian too aren't you Alex?...i'd call u a one hit game show wonder, but you did a swell job in 'classic concentration' if i dont say so myself"

"yeah, but chill with that, we don't need to blow up my spot u know? but bran van has other good song's don't they?"

"u mean beyond the curtis mayfield vocals sample? well i liked the song 'love cliche and a few other tracks, come to think of it they're not bad...i think there's some decent canadian acts huh?"

"two words for you alien, 'nickel back"

"phuck you canadian azzhole, and i say that as a canadian myself"

"haha, ez alien"

"ez alex"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Stooges - Shake Appeal

Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit

Bad Brains - Banned in DC (especially the live version on Black Dots)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    and oh yea, Dreams - Fleetwood Mac

• Pretty much the whole of Black Christ of the Andes by Mary Lou Williams and...

The World is Running Down - The Police (That snare is )

And a whole bunch of other stuff.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

OH SNAP!!! I knew there was some reason I used to like that damn song. That my shit! The beat is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s. Holy guacamole. Anybody got a Len cd available for trade?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

OH SNAP!!! I knew there was some reason I used to like that damn song. That my shit! The beat is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s. Holy guacamole. Anybody got a Len cd available for trade?

I got a picture disc, dog.

- Saying, it had to be the morphine...

This will be no secret to D.Castillo, but I just about had seizures attempting to lip-synch the last minute or so of Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr's "You Can't Blame Me" on lunch in my apartment. How my man on the record managed to keep his insides from coming up with all that singing & yelling is far-far beyond me. But it's not gonna keep me from trying - and I'll never get sick of hearing that song.

"Now it's time for you OHHHHH! to live awww-awawaw-AW-on!!![/b]"
    That my shit too.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some of my joints right here:

1. "Jeremiah Puckett"-Eddie Fisher.

-Oooh, that bassline and wah-wah makes me wanna spark one even though I don't smoke anymore).

2. "Reaching Out (For Your Love)" 12"-Lee Moore.

-Good ole' disco boogie right here. I get up and dance everytime I put this on blast.

3. "All Night Thang" 12"-The Invisible Man's Band.

-Some Clarence Burke side-project disco boogie grooviness. I loved this joint since I was 10 years old. Get down!!!

4. "You Make Me Hot" 12"-Jimmy Bo Horne.

-More disco 12" "inheritance" (thanks uncles) funk from childhood. This song still makes me start dancing. Side note: I looped this years before Howie did!!!!

5. "Modesa"-Carl "Sherlock" Holmes Investigation.

-This "latin-tinged" soul chumpy is soooooo funky to me. Dope on blast, fo sho!!!

6. "Do it Anyway You Wanna" 12"-Cashmere.

-Some nice 80's electro-funk, R&B right here. I still get down when it plays.

7. "A Little Soul Party"-The Ohio Players.

-This song makes me imagine an ole' hole-in-the-wall club with folks dancin' and sweatin'. I've felt the energy of this song from back then.

8. "Come Live with Me, Angel"-Marvin Gaye.

-One of my many favorite Marvin Gaye songs. The slick, soulfulness of this song gets me open everytime. I play this song from my OG 1976, Columbia Record Club LP (I knew this was something special as a youngin').

9. "Miss James"-Howlin' Wolf.

-This song expresses nicely how I feel about my wife. I sing it too her. Ah-oooh, ooooooooooooooh.

10. "Edith & the Kingpin"-Joni Mitchell.

-Ya'll know how I get down. Ya didn't know the brothas feel Joni?

Honorable Mentions (mainly childhood faves):

-"Tuck's Theme"-Bill Deal & the Rhondels.

-"Wooden Ships"-Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young.

-"Get Closer to the One that You Love"-The Brothers Johnson.

-"I Can't Help It"-Michael Jackson.

-"Something Special"-Quincy Jones.

-"Creepin'"-Stevie Wonder.

-"Mandrake Root"-Deep Purple.

-"Tin Man"-America.

-"Journey to Atlantis"-The Isley Brothers.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

-"Come Live with Me, Angel"-Marvin Gaye.
    -"Wooden Ships"-Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young.
    -"Something Special"-Quincy Jones.
    -"Tin Man"-America.
    -"Journey to Atlantis"-The Isley Brothers.

YEAH, mane! "Wooden Ships" is possibly an all time top ten joint for me (wellll... top twenty maybe?). And Q's "Something Special" is Rod Temperton like WHOA! I haven't thought about that record in years. I need to sample that... right after I'm done remaking that Len song.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I can't believe i'm listening to this shit right now!

P.S. Phillip Most - props on your location. I know that album has been talked about to death on here, but I was in a real bad way when I first heard that about 11 years ago and i've been off it ever since.

And again,

I can't believe i'm listening to this shit right now!

• this my man...

P.S. Phillip Most - props on your location. I know that album has been talked about to death on here, but I was in a real bad way when I first heard that about 11 years ago and i've been off it ever since.

I feel ashamed that I just recently discovered how great this album is. As legendary as some of his other lps are, that "Here, My Dear" really might be his best work IMO (uh oh... heated soulstrut debates to ensue?). When Marv sings something like "how could you love me and call the police on me?" (I forget the exact line), that sh*t is just dog! And complaining about paying wifey's attorney fees, saying "this is a joke... I need a smoke"? Marvin Gaye was a bad dude, and I most definitely mean bad meaning good (sorry if all this has been said ad infinitum on here already, I missed those other threads).

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    "How do you like it? How do you like it?"

For me:
    - Camp Lo "Luchini (This is It!)"
    - Queen Pen feat. Lost Boyz "A Party Ain't a Party"
    - ATCQ "Low End Theory"
    - De La Soul "De La Soul is Dead"
    - Five Stairsteps "Greatest Hits"
    - America's "Greatest Hits"
    - Len "Steal My Sunshine"
    - Stevie Ray Vaughn's version of "Voodoo Child"
    Just to name a few!
    - Bjork's "Debut"

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I feel ashamed that I just recently discovered how great this album is. As legendary as some of his other lps are, that "Here, My Dear" really might be his best work IMO (uh oh... heated soulstrut debates to ensue?). When Marv sings something like "how could you love me and call the police on me?" (I forget the exact line), that sh*t is just dog! And complaining about paying wifey's attorney fees, saying "this is a joke... I need a smoke"? Marvin Gaye was a bad dude, and I most definitely mean bad meaning good (sorry if all this has been said ad infinitum on here already, I missed those other threads).

OH yes man.

"TIME.... TIME..... TIME..... TIME..... (Jesus said time would heal all wounds).... TIME..... TIME.... TIME..... TIME..... TIME.... TIME.... (but we have to live right to get to time).... TIME.... TIME....

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

OH yes man.

"TIME.... TIME..... TIME..... TIME..... (Jesus said time would heal all wounds).... TIME..... TIME.... TIME..... TIME..... TIME.... TIME.... (but we have to live right to get to time).... TIME.... TIME....

"Even the meeeeeeean oooooooold maaaaaaa-aaaan, neeeeeeeds looooooooove".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    1) The opening rhythm guitar riff from "The Stroke" by Billy Squier.
    2) Dude's verse on Tupac's "Picture me rollin" that starts with "I've got Keys comin from overseas."
    3) Shock's verse on Tupac's "I get around." "Tryin to make a dollar out of fifteen cents.
    4) Michael McDonald's harmony on Steely Dan's Kid Charlemagne.
    5) Michael McDonald's harmony in the second chorus of Christopher Cross' "Ride Like the Wind"
    6) All of "Sweet Jane" original version from Velvet Underground
    7) Just about any version of Police and Thieves
    8) The bridge in the Beatles' "You never give me your money."
    9) Eddie Harris' third sax solo on the live version of Illusionary Dreams
    10) NAIMA
    11) The distorted guitar on "Just don't wanna be lonely," by the Main Ingredient.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    1) The opening rhythm guitar riff from "The Stroke" by Billy Squier.

2) Dude's verse on Tupac's "Picture me rollin" that starts with "I've got Keys comin from overseas."

3) Shock's verse on Tupac's "I get around." "Tryin to make a dollar out of fifteen cents.

4) Michael McDonald's harmony on Steely Dan's Kid Charlemagne.

5) Michael McDonald's harmony in the second chorus of Christopher Cross' "Ride Like the Wind"

6) All of "Sweet Jane" original version from Velvet Underground

7) Just about any version of Police and Thieves

8) The bridge in the Beatles' "You never give me your money."

9) Eddie Harris' third sax solo on the live version of Illusionary Dreams

10) NAIMA

11) The distorted guitar on "Just don't wanna be lonely," by the Main Ingredient.

YEAH... Vitamin knows what I'm talking about. Just them "little moments." Like the small interchange between Art Blakey's drums and Freddie Hubbard's trumpet for 4 beats before Freddie goes full into his solo on "3 Blind Mice."

Of the third, really HIGH note of "be-li-eeEEEEEEEEEEEE[/b]EEEEE" in "You Make Loving Fun."

I should have been more specific in what I was trying to get at - those "small things."

• P.S. Phillip Most - props on your location. I know that album has been talked about to death on here, but I was in a real bad way when I first heard that about 11 years ago and i've been off it ever since.

OH yes man.

for me it's all about that 7-bar verse at the end of the song: "i been racin' against time/tryin' my best to find my way/change my world in just one day/blowin' coke all up my nose/gettin' in and out my clothes/foolin' 'round with midnight hoes/'til that chapter of my life's closed." ill-fucking-matic. i wish that shit went on for like 12 minutes. as it is, it sounds like they did a weird splice to extend it.

Hey Alien,

My bad, cuz!!!! You want "little moments", you've got 'em:

1. "Big City Bump"-Jack McDuff.

-I love the bridge part with the drums and bassline playin' (with small guitar riffs) together for four bars (before the flutes come in). Fooooooonkay!!! I need to sample this.

2. "Please Stay"-Marvin Gaye.

-I love the fadeout part when Marvin's singing, "Doo doo doo, doo doo, doo doo, oooooooooo, ooooo" (with light background vocals accompanying). The rhythm section is playin' so funky right there I wish it would have played longer so I could loop it.

3. "Trespassin"-The Ohio Players.

-That beginning drum fill is so damn nastay!!!! Raggedy soundin' and raw!!!! That's why I sampled it (1992, "A Bird's Eye View").

4. "Reaching Out (For Your Love)"-Lee Moore.

-The beginning vamp with the drums, guitars, percussion, and horns (first 4 bars). When I used to DJ, I would mix this part over and over again and let folks groove to it.

5. "All Day Music"-War.

-The minor bridge part (after the chorus) with the sax in the lead along with the rest of the band, just 8 bars before the vocals come back in.

6. "When My Love Comes Down"-Ruby Johnson.

-I like the fuzz guitar riff just before she begins singing. Steve Cropper comes lovely!!!!

7. "I Just Wanna Make Love to You"-Smith.

-The vamp part with the drums (along with bass, keyboard, and guitar stabs) and vocals, "I can tell by the way you swish and walk, I can tell by the way you make me talk...." Raw bizness!!!!

8. "Hey Little Angel"-Gene Chandler.

-I like the bridge part where they break it down funky (I love basslines). Gene sings, "Hey laaaaawd, I know you answered my prayer. When I went to the park, I saw my baby standing there...."

9. "Shooting Star"-The Mamas and the Papas.

-The end part where it breaks down with the drums and bassline (4 bars). Then, the strings come in lightly to add on to the fade. Don't sleep, it's butter!!!!

10. "Luv N' Haight"-Sly & the Family Stone.

-The beginning is fire, but I love the "yeeeeeeeeeeeeah, yeaaaaaaaaaaaah, yeeeeeeeeeeah..." (with Sly adlibin') right after the first 4 bars. So funky 70's steelo, and it's timeliness.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Milton Nascimento - Milagre Dos Peixes[/b]

In the end... when he's just waaaaaiiiiiiiiiiling along with the strings 'til the track fades out...

Donny Hathaway - A Song For You (live)[/b]

Shortly after the breakdown... around 3:40... when he starts up again with the;

IIIIIIIIIIIhaaaaaahIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIuuuuuuuuuIIIIIIIII-
    IIIIII-IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII loooooooove youuuuu....

Masters At Work - To Be In Love[/b]

IMO one of the greatest house tracks ever... the piano breakdown is just fucking perfect.

Doc Scott - Unofficial Ghost[/b]

First drop.

M??sica Dispersa - Fluido[/b]

Those haunting female vocals... when they're solo.

Ghostface Killah - Box In Hand...[/b]

That motherfucking beat that bangs for the first 8 bars.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Keys:

- The little synth tickle at the top of Lil' Louis's "French Kiss."*

- The opening splice in Miles Davis's "Rated X," where the ghosty entry-level organ pulls the sheet off that gargantuan drum: "And now, ladies and gentlemen, before I tell you any more, I'm going to show you the greatest thing your eyes have ever beheld..."*

- A few years ago, I was at a gallery opening where my man Bread had just sold a painting for a not-inconsiderable amount of money. Dude was acting all squirrely despite having his pockets minted and having mainlined a not-inconsiderable amount of Franzia, so I asked him what was up. He pulled me over to the wall where said red-dotted painting was still hanging:

"See that black form that covers the whole bottom half of the panel?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I painted that with tar, not paint."

"So?"

"So...[whispering]when I painted it, it was only about half[/b] that size!"

As it turns out, the unrefined petroleum in the tar was not exactly what you'd call archival, and was leaching into the panel, slowly taking it over. Bread was afraid that, further on down the road, when his patron realized that he was looking at a soild black square where there used to be an abstract painting, he'd want his four figures back.

Anyway, the synth that clouds Part Two of "Black Horizon" (by, uh, Black Horizon) sounds just like that: Malevolent and ever-expanding. Every time I listen to it, the solo seems to have more tentacles, seems to run a little longer, seems a little more derelict. And the clavinet that it's crowding is already on some blurry, paranoid, In Search Of shit, so when the synth billows into view, it's bad meets evil, like being trapped on Easter Island when the saucers come to blot out the sun.

Bonus Beat:

- The drum roll that cocks back the hammer at the beginning of Bobby Franklin's "Bring It On Down To Me."*

Oooohs:

- Sly Stone's two "Oh"s in "Skin I'm In."**

- Johnny King's two "Ooo"s in the Fatback Band's "Peace, Love, Not War."**

- Billy Holiday's three-syllable "Oh" in the last chorus of "Easy To Love"

Miscellanous:

- U God's "Rrrrrrrraw" at the very top of "Chessboxin'"

- At the precise turning point of Television's "Little Johnny Jewel," the way Tom Verlaine sibilates the end of "loses," the entirety of "his," and the start of "senses" into one single hiss of sublimation.

- "'Ohhhhh, my favorite song!', she said / It was Joni singing 'Help me, I think I'm falling...' / Brrring!--the phone rang..." By my count, that's four voices (subject, narrator, radio, phone) in something like seven seconds. Jesus.

Three Most Revolting Pop-Radio Saxophone Solos Ever, All Of Which I Managed To Hear At The Grocery Store Yesterday:

- Al Stewart's "Year Of The Cat"

- Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street"***

- Hall And Oates's "Maneater"

* I do not know which to prefer, / The beauty of inflections / Or the beauty of innuendoes, / The blackbird whistling / Or just after.

** In both of these instances, each of the two occurrences of said vocal is differently-pitched. I would love to hear these occurences alternated and looped, a la that Redman jernt that has the two differently-pitched "I can't wait to get it on"s from "All Night Long," run one after the other as its chorus. I don't know why it's what I want, it's just what I want.

*** And somebody gave Raphael Ravenscroft a fuckin' solo album?!****

**** And that solo album has been sampled?!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Cowboy Song", Thin Lizzy[/b]
    When the band breaks down towards the end, and Phil Lynott sings: "It's okay, amigos...just let me go..."

"Wild In The Streets," Garland Jeffreys[/b]
    The background singers that sound like a street gang...plus the insane line "we got a gang called Shady and a midnight lady and two transvestites to beat the band...runnin' WILD IN THE STREETS!"

"Green Onions," Booker T. & the MG's[/b]
    Just before Steve Cropper's guitar solo, somebody shouts "hey!" off mic...I swear, whenever I hear a cover version (even if it's a live one by the band who originally made it), it sounds SO incorrect when I don't hear the "hey!" before the solo...I've just grown too used to it...

"Sad Sweet Dreamer," Sweet Sensation[/b]
    Only in England would they make a soul record with a banjo on it. Even Muscle Shoals, Alabama wouldn't have had the balls to do something that experimental.

"Troglodyte," Jimmy Castor Bunch[/b]
    The part where he's talking about how cavemen "used to grab (women) by the hair...you can't do that today, fellas, because it might come off!...you be havin' a piece of hair in your hand, she'll be swimmin' away from ya, heh heh!"