What's Good, Orlando? (Central Florida Related)

FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
I'm taking a company trip to some conference in Florida for a week. I know nobody in Orlando and I'm basically by my self down there. Any suggestions? Good places for food, clothing, etc. Company card steez, so I don't really care about the price. Discuss.

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Epcot Centerb,121Orange pickingb,121Medieval Times for dinner

• rock & roll heaven is an ok record store.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Rock and Roll isn't a bad shop to check out if you got time. Most things are overpriced but they the widest slection. Park Ave cds is another local shop down the street worth looking into. The food is eh, lots of chains nothing to write home about. If your looking for clothes, I'd check Beta. If you manage to venture downtown Cleos is a good bar to grab a drink at and The Social has a consistant weekly called Phat and Jazzy on Tuesday.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121Medieval Times for dinner
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121^^^ shitty food, and shitty theatrics.b,121b,121You want to eat good? Go to the African restaurants at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, or for more of a big city fine dining experience (at least in terms of the food) hit up Ravenous Pig off of 1792 in Winter Park. You can catch a current indy film and enjoy dinner at the Enzian, which is also off of 1792 in Winter Park. For Vietnamese hit up Pho 97 on 1792, or Golden Harvest on Colonial (a road also known as 50). Locals enjoy Stardust video and coffee for 'comfort food' (read unhealthy) on Corrine and East Winter Park. Strollo due Amici on Fairbanks just East of Park avenue is a nice Italian deli with the best bread in town. There is no good pizza in Orlando. Lots of good Indian. For South Indian head to Wooldands on OBT (sorry no cross street). On I drive you can find tons of Indain buffets. Sizzler indian and Oakistani food stands out in my mind, but I haven't been there in years.b,121b,121Best place to buy clothes--if you're looking for high end designer stuff--is the Millenia Mall. But, the thrift stores outweigh all of the other clothing options in Orlando. And on the secret squirrel tip, and ojnly for the truly dedicated, hit up the Nike clearance center. Don't be fooled by all the Nike outlets, the clearance center is one of a kind. It is way out on 1492, and it is one of two such stores in the US. All of the ID rejects, weird deadstock, and b quality kicks from the most limited runs.b,121b,121The problem is that Orlando is very spread out. If you're at the convention center you're about a 15 minute drive, via I4, from downtown, and 20 minutes from the Winter Park area.b,121b,121You should definitely hit up Skycraft parts and surplus on Fairbanks just East of I4. You can't miss it because it has a huge UFO on the outside of the building. You never know what you'll find, but you'll definitely find at least a few things, I cannot stress enough the importance of visiting this place. DO NOT go to Orlando without going to Skycraft.b,121b,121If you want to be outdoors head to Wakiwa Springs, or Blue springs. Islands of Adventure has roller coasters.

• There is a decent cheap greek place south of rock & roll heaven on the edge of lake ivanhoe. Order the meat appetizer's platter... with 2 people you'll be practically full by the end. Nice place to sit outside with a bottle of wine and chill.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    ^^^ comes back to Orlando but doesn't holler.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. Especially YNOT and Hemol. Apparently the conference is at the Orlando World Center Resort, wherever that is, hopefully it won't be too far from that Nike store and some interesting eats. b,121b,121Hemol, what's the deal on the thrift store scene, got any in particular I should check out? Skycraft sounds like it's a cousin of what we call Ax-man up here in Minneapolis, but either way I'm down. b,121b,121Ashrock, that greek place sounds fantastic. Might be just right after some boring keynote speakers. b,121 b,121YNOT - I might be interested in checking out that thing at the social, I just found out my boss is traveling with me, so I'll probably be down if he's not trying to buddy-buddy the whole trip. b,121b,121Good suggestions, thanks a ton.