Why I Think Palin Will Win Tonight. (NRR)

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
All she needs to do is answer each ? with an attack on Obama and Biden.b,121b,121Ifil: Now that Raul has taken over from Fidel Castro in Cuba would you support opening negotiations with Cuba. b,121b,121Palin: For years John McCain has lead on the Cuba issue. What have Biden and Obama done? Nothing. There are good countries and bad countries in this world. John McCain and I are mavricks, we are not afraid to stand up to the bad countries and stand by the good countries. Obama and Biden want to appease the terrorists and al Qaeda.b,121b,121Add a few rehearsed zingers and references to God and hockey moms and she wins.

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    do you think it would be harmful for Biden to call her out for exactly what she is? Basically tell her that she is playing the same role as she did in her Beauty Pageant days?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121do you think it would be harmful for Biden to call her out for exactly what she is? Basically tell her that she is playing the same role as she did in her Beauty Pageant days?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121NO. (edit) Yes. It would be harmful.b,121b,121Biden will ignore her. He will keep his answers short. He will vilify McCain. He will praise Obama. Done.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /a1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121This is great.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /a1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121This is great.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121"Let's do this!!"

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /a1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121This is great.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121"Let's do this!!"
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121"You look like a jack-o-lantern taking a difficult crap."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    oops, duped pic

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121All she needs to do is answer each ? with an attack on Obama and Biden.
    b,121
    b,121Ifil: Now that Raul has taken over from Fidel Castro in Cuba would you support opening negotiations with Cuba.
    b,121
    b,121Palin: For years John McCain has lead on the Cuba issue. What have Biden and Obama done? Nothing. There are good countries and bad countries in this world. John McCain and I are mavricks, we are not afraid to stand up to the bad countries and stand by the good countries. Obama and Biden want to appease the terrorists and al Qaeda.
    b,121
    b,121Add a few rehearsed zingers and references to God and hockey moms and she wins.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121You know, the more I think about it, the more I think this is fairly likely. These debates are much more about style than substance, and she can do that whole folksy "I'm just like you! Hockey! God! Joe Six-Pack! Regular folk!" bullshit, and as long as she doesn't go full retard (Kirk Lazarus, holla!), that's good enough.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121Ifil: Now that Raul has taken over from Fidel Castro in Cuba would you support opening negotiations with Cuba.
    b,121
    b,121Palin: For years John McCain has lead on the Cuba issue. What have Biden and Obama done? Nothing. There are good countries and bad countries in this world. John McCain and I are mavricks, we are not afraid to stand up to the bad countries and stand by the good countries. Obama and Biden want to appease the terrorists and al Qaeda.
    b,121
    b,121Add a few rehearsed zingers and references to God and hockey moms and she wins.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121You know, the more I think about it, the more I think this is fairly likely. These debates are much more about style than substance, and she can do that whole folksy "I'm just like you! Hockey! God! Joe Six-Pack! Regular folk!" bullshit, and as long as she doesn't go full retard (Kirk Lazarus, holla!), that's good enough.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't know....it's tempting, given how completely off the charts AWFUL her interviews have been, to say that all she has to do is show up and not vomit and she wins. While there will be plenty of GOP pundits who will applaud her 'charisma' and 'personality' no matter how inane her responses, she needs to demonstrate the ability to at least walk and chew gum at the same time, which will mean making cogent attacks on Obama/Biden within the loose framework of specific questions. While I don't think that she will crash and burn on the level of those Curic interviews, she doesn't need to to still lose ground. If she gets TOO folksy, that will bite her in the ass too. If she doesn't come off as completely 'together', and on message, or relying too much on negatives, there will be an eagerness to hammer away at her readiness as a result.b,121b,121It's funny, because each of these two are their own worst enemy. If Biden can resist the urge to interrupt, he should be fine. If she keeps it concise, short and sweet, she should be fine. I predict another massive yawner. I hope I am wrong.

A win for Palin would, at this point, mean not saying some truly stupid shit like she has been saying. b,121b,121And frankly, I don't think she has it in her .I>She can't even fend off Katie f*cking Couric/i1 asking some basic questions.b,121b,121I mean, c'mon: "so what do you read?" "Uh, I read all media put in front of me."b,121b,121The best Palin could hope for from this debate is that she doesn't slide even further into the abyss she's put herself. There's no "win" possible that's going to swing numbers back in her and McCain's favor. Personally, in light of the economic news that's dominating this week, do the debates even matter? b,121b,121It matters to the media but I don't know if voters really care who gets in more zingers when they can't even get a f*cking car loan right now.

• She'll probably exceed expectations. But can she change the public perception of her? Or just stop the bleeding?b,121b,121Also, she should've called herself Jane Sixpack. (Edited to correct my typo of Jane [i]Sick/i1pack, which is also dope). b,121b,121And ... I'm a little put off by this Drudge-led character assassination of Gwen Ifill. I understand the air of impropriety, but Gwen's a professional. b,121b,121Also:b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I predict another massive yawner. I hope I am wrong.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121A win for Palin would, at this point, mean not saying some truly stupid shit like she has been saying.
    b,121
    b,121And frankly, I don't think she has it in her .
    I>She can't even fend off Katie f*cking Couric
    /i1 asking some basic questions.
    b,121
    b,121I mean, c'mon: "so what do you read?" "Uh, I read all media put in front of me."
    b,121
    b,121The best Palin could hope for from this debate is that she doesn't slide even further into the abyss she's put herself. There's no "win" possible that's going to swing numbers back in her and McCain's favor. Personally, in light of the economic news that's dominating this week, do the debates even matter?
    b,121
    b,121It matters to the media but I don't know if voters really care who gets in more zingers when they can't even get a f*cking car loan right now.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah, the decisions have mostly been made, IMO. Independents are not going to see her holding her own and think, "y'know, she just might make this McCain fella easier to take come election day". And I take issue with people using the word WIN, because even if she manages to appear competent, I think she would have to WIN the debate to win, not simply 'not get trounced'. Not getting trounced can still mean one in the loss column. And the same goes for Biden.b,121b,121On another note, someone was telling me that Katie Couric is a big GOP supporter. Is this true? I have been under the impression that she was one of those whom you couldn't tell which way she rolled. Anybody know? If she is, it makes it even more delicious.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I agree with the style comment. Everybody knows that the parties will adhere to their party guidelines.

I think Biden is going to be hella boring and I think there is a very real chance that Palin will say something unbelievably awkward and painful to listen to. b,121b,121She's been the worst look ever for McCain's judgement. Just abysmal EXCEPT that she helped shore up the conservative base that he was losing. But he's simply traded their support for the loss of interest by independents who are thinking, "dude, wtf were you thinking?"

• I really am not sure how this debate is going to go. Having seen some tape of Gov. Palin's debates from AK and after some stumbles in the early ones she found her footing. She didn't have Team McCain prepping her.b,121b,121The Good (for her)b,121b,1211) She can string sentences together and tell a good, folksy story to connect with voters.b,121b,1212) She can do the put down disguised as a complement.b,121b,121The Bad (for her again)b,121b,1211) She does, as one former opponent, speak in generalizations to direct questions on facts, figures, and history.b,121b,1212) She cannot keep her answers short when she doesn't know a subject. She fills the space with mooseshite until her non-point is made.b,121b,121One of the memes we been hearing from the McCain camp is that they need to let Sarah be Sarah. If that is what they are planning to do at the debates then, if Biden can maintain discipline during his 90 minutes I believe she has a high probability of making a sever gaff.b,121b,121Otherwise its going to come down to how well they have prepped her and how disciplined she is.b,121b,121I guess we will see when the lights come up tonight. Be there, or be square.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I think Biden is going to be hella boring and I think there is a very real chance that Palin will say something unbelievably awkward and painful to listen to.
    b,121
    b,121She's been the worst look ever for McCain's judgement. Just abysmal EXCEPT that she helped shore up the conservative base that he was losing. But he's simply traded their support for the loss of interest by independents who are thinking, "dude, wtf were you thinking?"
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I derive a small measure of satisfaction from how SHOOK Jay Mac must be right now. the stress of this debate may very well lead to his having a heart attack.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121On another note, someone was telling me that Katie Couric is a big GOP supporter. Is this true? I have been under the impression that she was one of those whom you couldn't tell which way she rolled. Anybody know? If she is, it makes it even more delicious.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Katie Couric's late sister Emily was a Senator (or maybe Reprasentative) from my parents district in Virginia, and was most definitely a Democrat. This doesn't mean the same for Katie necessarily, but I would bet that she is a closet Democrat.

• I am going to watch the debate tonight, but with some misgivings. I feel like I am going to tune in to one of those shows where celebrities do something outside of their usual sphere (like live in a house with housemates) and everyone watches to see what asses they will make of themselves. I can't believe that anyone is going to watch this to see a substantive discussion of the issues that face our nation.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I am going to watch the debate tonight, but with some misgivings. I feel like I am going to tune in to one of those shows where celebrities do something outside of their usual sphere (like live in a house with housemates) and everyone watches to see what asses they will make of themselves. I can't believe that anyone is going to watch this to see a substantive discussion of the issues that face our nation.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah, the debates in general, like the conventions, have long since descended into theater and not of the good kind.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121You know, the more I think about it, the more I think this is fairly likely. These debates are much more about style than substance, and she can do that whole folksy "I'm just like you! Hockey! God! Joe Six-Pack! Regular folk!" bullshit, and as long as she doesn't go full retard (Kirk Lazarus, holla!), that's good enough.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/funnypost.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121Yeah, the debates in general, like the conventions, have long since descended into theater and not of the good kind.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Washington = Hollywood for ugly people

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Biden's biggest problem will be not coming off as some pushy bullying He-Man.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121Yeah, the debates in general, like the conventions, have long since descended into theater and not of the good kind.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Washington = Hollywood for ugly people
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That's not a proper use of that analogy. Hollywood for ugly people has to do with the celebrity status of politicians in DC, not fact that the debates have descended into little more than scripted sound bites, lies, and counter lies.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Yes, there is the chance that Palin will come out as the winner in tonight's debate. All she has to do is make a coherent reply to each question, and go on the attack, and everyone will talk about how good she was compared to her horrible interview with Couric (sp?). The problem is, in a format where she doesn't have the questions beforehand CAN she make coherent replies? Turning everything into an attack on Obama as LW suggested could be an easy way to avoid actually having her think and reply. b,121b,121As I said before, McCain's tacitcs were pretty much set from the Republian Convention. Whenever things look really bad, create an event to distract attention for a little while (i.e. picking Palin, announcing suspending the campaign), and then launch a negative campaign to turn off the independents and solidfy the Republican base. He's even going after the media increasingly now, which is another means of getting the conservatives riled up about the abuses of the liberal media.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Yes, there is the chance that Palin will come out as the winner in tonight's debate. All she has to do is make a coherent reply to each question, and go on the attack, and everyone will talk about how good she was compared to her horrible interview with Couric (sp?). The problem is, in a format where she doesn't have the questions beforehand CAN she make coherent replies? Turning everything into an attack on Obama as LW suggested could be an easy way to avoid actually having her think and reply.
    b,121
    b,121As I said before, McCain's tacitcs were pretty much set from the Republian Convention. Whenever things look really bad, create an event to distract attention for a little while (i.e. picking Palin, announcing suspending the campaign), and then launch a negative campaign to turn off the independents and solidfy the Republican base. He's even going after the media increasingly now, which is another means of getting the conservatives riled up about the abuses of the liberal media.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Plus, those Couric interviews don't go away no matter how well the debate breaks for her. Plus, the better she does, the more interviews she will have to do, rinse, repeat. She would have to come off like Margaret Thatcher to erase the impact of those Couric interviews.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Question: Even if Palin does really well tonight, does anyone think that will be enough to turn the tide of McCain's floundering campaign singlehandedly?

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121As I said before, McCain's tacitcs were pretty much set from the Republian Convention. Whenever things look really bad, create an event to distract attention for a little while (i.e. picking Palin, announcing suspending the campaign), and then launch a negative campaign to turn off the independents and solidfy the Republican base. He's even going after the media increasingly now, which is another means of getting the conservatives riled up about the abuses of the liberal media.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121The problem with this tactic (and yes, I know the difference between a tactic and a strategy) is that the Republican base is smaller than the Democratic one. b,121b,121If he alienates the independents it doesn't matter if he suppresses their turn out because he will not get the super-majority of independents he needs to erase Obama's inherit advantage.b,121b,121Further, if he were successful in suppressing independents this only magnifies Obama's ground game which will turn out the vote better than McCain.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Question: Even if Palin does really well tonight, does anyone think that will be enough to turn the tide of McCain's floundering campaign singlehandedly?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Not in a JILLION years...

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    The purpose of this debate, is not for two vice presidential candidates to debate the current issues at hand, it is for Obama supporters to watch and hope that Palin digs herself further into the hole she's created; for McCain supporters to watch her and think she can do no wrong (and find every excuse in the book to deem her the "winner"), meanwhile hoping that Biden comes of looking like an angry jerk, and for the independents/undecideds to turn their television off because it's not changing their opinion of who they're voting for, thus wasting their time.b,121b,121Personally, I hope Palin flounders out there and say some stupid shit - which I think is inevitable; more "answering" questions that do everything but answer the question. It will be really difficult for me to watch, she falls into that category with Bush, of people that I just can't even stand to watch.